[iwar] news

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-07-04 19:39:43

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 19:39:43 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] news

By Molly Moore
Washington Post
July 4, 2001; Page A01

TEHRAN -- Arash Fahimi is a teenager in a nation that frowns on
dating, outlaws rock music and offers a 17-year-old almost no chance
for travel beyond its borders.

But Fahimi, like hundreds of thousands of young Iranians, has
discovered an escape from his cultural cocoon. Sitting at a computer
terminal in an Internet cafe, he downloads the latest Western pop
music hits and chats daily with cyber-acquaintances around the globe.
He even found a girlfriend on the Internet.

"I want to have a better idea of what the world is like," said
Fahimi, earphones clamped under a Nike baseball cap and fingers
tapping out a chat room response on his screen. "If I can't make a
trip abroad, the Internet is the best way."

In the Islamic Republic of Iran, where public behavior is stringently
regulated and citizens fear arrest for speaking their minds, the
Internet is transforming personal lifestyles and liberating public
expression at a pace that a technologically handicapped bureaucracy
has been unable to control.

[FC - More at their web site.]

http://www.dispatch.com/news/news01/july01/755632.html

Man's journal ruled obscene

Wednesday, July 4, 2001

Tim Doulin
Dispatch Staff Reporter

Brian Dalton wrote fictitious tales of sexually abusing and torturing
children in his private journal, intending that no one else see them, he
said.

But when his probation officer found the journal during a routine search
of Dalton's Columbus home, prosecutors charged him with pandering
obscenity involving a minor.

In Franklin County Common Pleas Court yesterday, the 22-year-old man's
written words cost him 10 years in prison.

The case worries civil-rights lawyer Benson Wolman, who said it has
free-speech implications.

"What you're saying is somebody can't, in essence, confess their fantasy
into a personal journal for fear they have socially unacceptable
fantasies, then ultimately they end up getting prosecuted,'' said
Wolman, former director of the American Civil Liberties Union in Ohio.

"This is the only case that I know of where we are talking about a
journal -- just written words.  It surprises and offends me that an
action should be brought based on a journal.''

[FC - Freedom of speech - of writing in your private journal while
taking no action - no longer a right here?]