Re: [iwar] Training

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-07-05 05:23:10

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 05:23:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] Training

Per the message sent by Dan Ellis:

> 	I have seen claims that dozens of nations are developing offensive
> cyber capabilities.  I have also heard ideas that the US gov't is
> floating the idea of using national guardsmen to fill the ranks of
> information warfighters.  I can imagine a number of agencies who have
> their own minions of candidates, all of whom have been trained on the
> job.  Is on the job training the only way that governments (the US, in
> particular) will train information warfighters or will there be some
> sort of academy for supergeek warriors?

I think you need to separate offense from defense in understanding this
issue.  You might also want to separate different aspects of information
operations.

>  I have found a program at the
> Naval Postgraduate School that handles more or less the electronics side
> (TEMPEST, EMF, etc.).  The NSA has started a program for creating
> Centers For Excellence where information assurance topics are taught (a
> necessary but insufficient background) that I know of.  Does anybody
> know of any more general or specific training programs for information
> warfighters?  Or for policy makers, analysists, idealogists, and
> theorists?

I think that every branch of every military and all of their academies
have some coursework related to this subject.  There are also training
organizations and programs within all military organizations that I am
aware of.  Essentially, everyone in the military trains all the time
except when they are fighting.

IF you are looking for specific training you would have to be more
specific in terms of what you seek.

FC
--
Fred Cohen at Sandia National Laboratories at tel:925-294-2087 fax:925-294-1225
  Fred Cohen & Associates: http://all.net - fc@all.net - tel/fax:925-454-0171