Re: [iwar] What is a war?

From: Markus Spindler (Markus.Spindler@ascom.ch)
Date: 2001-07-11 07:56:01

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "Markus Spindler" <Markus.Spindler@ascom.ch>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:56:01 +0200
Subject: Re: [iwar] What is a war?

> In the USA it has been a tradition that "War" occurred when Congress or
> the President declared it to be so.

Gary, all,

that's the first one I consider appealing. War is when you consider
yourself to be at war.
Most of the time, however, the parties involved in a conflict will agree
on war/not war.

When do I consider myself to be part of a war? Personally, I would answer:
As soon as tactical patterns of behaviour do not work out any more.
War is imho strongly related to the use of strategic patterns.
Now (maybe) there we are why it is all that confusing: One man's strategy
is another man's tactic (Would be nice to have someone check how often
which side considered itself to be at war in the indians vs. US conflicts
throughout 19th century - some historians listening?).
Having that said, to conduct a war you have to be able to use tactical and
strategic patterns,
and you have to be able to identify and attack/protect tactical and
strategic targets.
Some of the remaining question are:
What kind of groups do we consider able to confront us with a strategy of
theirs which
forces us to activate the strategic part of our group's "conflict
handler"?
(And: what is "our group"/"my group"?)
What do we consider to be strategic patterns with respect to information /
IT infrastructure? (we are discussing IWar, aren't we)

I suppose some of the things mentioned in the discussion do well qualify
for strategy
(collecting information for 32 years, then hitting all at once within
three milliseconds etc)
even with few people and short periods of high intensity,
while on the other hand 2million hapless script kiddies trying to flood a
firewall for 2 1/2 years
isn't even terrorism, just annoying.
So, what do you consider to be strategic patterns of behaviour?
What could provoke/force you to define a strategy of yours in order to
cope with a situation?

Cheers, Markus