Re: [iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 07/13/01 (fwd)

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-07-24 06:35:50

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 06:35:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] [NewsBits] NewsBits - 07/13/01 (fwd)

Per the message sent by Mohammad Ozair Rasheed:

> Really?

> I thought that the context was Afghanistan. If there is no
> cyber-thingy-of-any-kind in the country, how can one hack into it or out
> of it. Unless they decide to use the internet outside their country.

They have Internet within the country - not very much of it - but some.
And they use it (well?).

> Besides I believe from the latest statistics provided by you, I do not
> see the anti or pro west here at all. And just for the mentioning 700
> and 480 sites a minute may be a record :).

Not even close to a record.  In 1987 (I think it was) a virus written by
two graduate students in Texas entered 500 computers in under a minute.

The Internet Virus (1988) got into 60,000 computers in something under 6
hours (300 per minute sustained).

The recent (modified) Code Red virus got into 200,000 computers in 10
hours (over 2,000 per minute).

> I think that the highlighting anti-west attitude is paranoia in itself
> :). Who on earth would want to hack the website of a democratically
> elected and peace loving nation.

Not I...  In truth, from what I have seen of the Afghani embasadore,
they seek peace with the West and are trying to supress bad things in
their country.  But some in their nation have used cyber systems to aide
the PLO in their information operations against Israel.  This is not a
very important or impressive thing, but it exists.

> Fred, You should really leave a peace loving slumberer hibernate :).

I was trying to, but then the sun came up and I just had to waken.

> Regards,
> Ozair

FC
--
Fred Cohen at Sandia National Laboratories at tel:925-294-2087 fax:925-294-1225
  Fred Cohen & Associates: http://all.net - fc@all.net - tel/fax:925-454-0171