RE: [iwar] Chinese IW

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2001-07-25 06:30:43

To: "'iwar@yahoogroups.com'" <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 08:30:43 -0500
Subject: RE: [iwar] Chinese IW

Frankly, I have never wondered where the Chinese (or anyone else we consider
a "bad guy") get their technology, virus or otherwise.  In 1998, the firm I
worked for (global trader of various commodities) kept getting a virus
through on-line documents from a Chinese trading partner.  After several
occurrences, I phoned the partner to tell them to check out their systems
and clean them.  They apologized profusely for the inconvenience - they
discovered that the licenses to their Norton AV and their McAfee had
expired, and the *.DAT updates were no longer being added!  A little further
questioning (under the guise of trying to help them figure out the problem)
revealed that the products had been acquired on a trip to Singapore since
they could not be purchased (then) in the PRC.  The products were however in
their most current international form at the time they were acquired (by
whatever means).

Folks may like to think that these potentially hostile parties have stolen
all the technology they currently possess.  This may be true to some extent,
but what is more often the case is they simply buy it like everyone else.
They may pirate it, copy it, reverse engineer it, etc, after they obtain a
few legit copies, but that is no more than goes on in the US daily.  This is
just another business case of "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."  Only this
time its  "if you can't keep 'em from stealing it, offer to sell it to them
before they steal it anyway".

IMHO:  The fact that the companies that do this facilitate potentially
hostile parties ultimately learning how to compromise the systems we are
trying to protect is of no particular or apparent consequence to them, not
realizing that they themselves become as big a target as our labs and DoD
might be.  When I bring this to their attention, the salesmen magnanimously
suggest I look at it as "job security" for security types (We are a "type"
now"?).

The difference today versus during the Cold War is now it is about dollars,
not dogma (no great surprise).

Ross Leo