Re: [iwar] news - on the use of a rant

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-07-30 21:42:21

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:42:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] news - on the use of a rant

Per the message sent by 7Pillars Partners:

> Sigh.  OK, you asked for it.  A counter-rant.

This is the best part of the Iwar forum...  My counter-rant enclosed...

> First, regarding Tony's comments.  I've been on the record for a long time in
> calling Microsoft a 'national security threat'--their software sucks, their
> security sucks, and monopolistic penetration has created a monoculture that
> allows even buggy exploits to penetrate a great number of machines.  Would I

Let's get it straight - CISCO is more of a monopoly than Microsoft in
their field and their recent vulnerabilities are likely a far greater
risk to the Internet than anything Microsoft could do.  After all, they
dominate the critical part of the critical infrastructure and are far
harder and more expensive to fix or patch than a Windows box which you
could probably throw out.

Then we have Sun - which is actually still a big player and uses
proprietary HW and SW and which has defined the standard in
incompatability as far as I can tell.

And you should also know that Linux versions keep coming out with
non-compatable library routines so that lots of SW is not properly
backward compatible.

> any traction.  Everybody likes to keep their tools and materials proprietary,
> nobody wants to create a standard (like the Generally Accepted Accounting
> Principles, or GAAP, that makes financial reporting and transparency possible)
> in the open source.

Here here - they choose profit over portability and compatability - but
isn't that what companies are all about? The real truth underlying this
issue is that government is responsible for "The Common Defense" and is
not doing its job.

> Critical infrastructure protection is a field dominated by
> law enforcement, beltway bandits, and the Usual Suspects (anti-viral vendors,
> other folks with a business model that profits from a perpetuation of
> vulnerability).  I can't tell you the amount of flak I've taken for attacking
> the Pearl Harbor scenario as the load of crap that it is, but trying to get
> people to wake up to the real threat (penetration and subversion).  Beating my
> head into a concrete wall would approximate the level of fun and excitement
> I've had trying to 'do the right thing.'

As do we all - from our points of view.  I happen to largely agree with
yours in this case, but we are still stuck in WWII here in the US -
Europe is supposed to still owe us something - we are supposed to
dominate the world - etc.  The US is to ego-centric to realize that we
are slipping badly.  We need realistic looks at ourselves - which the
structure is designed to prevent from hapenning.

> On to a number of other points...
> - Sure, we understand the problem a lot better than the FBI.  Put it like
> this...  there is a real problem out there.  The FBI doesn't know what to do
> about the problem--it's outside their level of competence, resources,
> jurisdiction, etc.

So they keep getting more and more money claiming it is never enough and
reducing freedoms more and more to try to get a hold of the problem.
But soon they will become the problem unless someone stops the foolish
public policy decisions and court rulings.  The US is heading down a
very slippery slope and it is very dangerous for the future of freedom
and humanity.

> - I would love nothing better than to solve the problems.  I've been trying for
> years.
> they just let us use it.  Lots of money gets tossed at pretty crappy projects,
> but real solutions have one hell of a time getting support.

You have that right.  The people doing funding do not fund the best of
the research - they fund friends and political allies and future
employers.  The sad truth is that if money is all you seek, you will
destroy the US.  It is interesting that rich folks set up the whole
freedom thing - perhaps they were not so much worried about losing their
fortunes as their lives.

> - We've stopped publishing our work to the net primarily because the bad guys
> were using the work, while the good guys kept wandering around in the dark
> looking for their privates with both hands.

Which reflects the situation when computer virus research was first
published.  The NSF reviewers of proposed research said that viruses
were not really possible and that it was all hype - the big expert at
MIT said that I should read about access control (he never was able to
listen to anything I said) - the bad guys were writing development kits.

> - It hasn't been a game for a long time.  We aren't getting any calls to play
> superhero and rescue the system, so we stick to our clientbase and keep them
> out of trouble.  To be perfectly honest, I would be very surprised to 'get the
> call,' simply because I know our approach is voodoo, witchcraft, and black
> magic to most people.  They (you know, 'them') want simple answers, quick
> fixes, and reassurance.  We don't sell that, because we don't bullshit our
> clients.

Here here - most people just don't want to know - and they should not have to.

> - Unlike a lot of folks in this 'industry,'...

OK - too much of an advertisement - please flame me back personally for saying so...

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!