[iwar] Re: China Skeptical Code Red PC Worm of Chinese Origin

From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: 2001-08-02 05:09:19

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: ellisd@cs.ucsb.edu
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:09:19 -0000
Subject: [iwar] Re: China Skeptical Code Red PC Worm of Chinese Origin

--- In iwar@y..., Fred Cohen <fc@a...> wrote:
> Per the message sent by ellisd@c...:
> > are thousands of exploits), a new worm is possible.  Until we are
able
> > to better patch our systems (bad solution) or create more secure
> > systems (better, but harder solution), worms are going to continue
> > be a problem.
>
> I disagree that it's harder to make systems more secure than to have
> constantly patch them.  While patches may be inevitable in computer
> systems as they are in automobiles, when you build a better system
the
> qwuality leads to lasting value.  The issue in computers is that the
> technology has been changing so quickly that "new" has been widely
> perceived as better than "high quality" - always a mistake when
surety
> is the objective.

This is a different tangent than what I wanted to pursue...
I agree that there is better, lasting value in more reliable systems.
It is just harder to build really reliable systems than it is
unreliable systems.  Sure, the formal methods community has produced
some methods that would drastically increase the reliability of
software, but it is too expensive and too hard.  The testing community
has produced nothing really helpful in building more reliable systems
(regression testing is far from complete).

> > Attribution will be nearly impossible and meaningless.
>
> I disagree about the limits of attribution.  We may be able to do a
> great deal better than you think.

The likelihood that we or anybody will ever find the creator of any of
these viruses (unless they are stupid and brag on about it--like
mafiaboy).  I think that for most of these attacks the limits of
attribution are "one hop"--that is, the previous ip address in the
trace.  Tracing this back to the first ip address is infeasible.  That
last hop may be all the attribution that is needed.  If every person
sews the person who infected them then two things will happen:
1) lawyers will get very, very rich, and 2) the burden for keeping
systems secure rests on the consumer.  The latter will in turn create
greater demand for more reliable systems, which may be the impetus
necessary to get the better, lasting quality we need out of systems.

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM