RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information Privacy and Confidentiality

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-08-10 00:56:56

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:56:56 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [iwar] Computer and Network Security vs. Information   Privacy and Confidentiality

--- Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov> wrote:
> At 03:06 PM 8/9/01 -0400, you wrote:
> >Tony wrote..

The web is already an anonymus venture in some ways, however, if we are
forced to accept pervasive encryption as the only manner in which we
can protect out privacy,  we are headed toward a  type of
compartmentation that only our pals in the intelligence community have
to deal with.  Protecting information about classified programs  is one
thing. Becoming a classified person with the ability to be a peeping
tom on the net concerns me a great deal.  There is clearly a
significant problem when the issue of computer security and personal
liberties are conflicted.  How can we "deconflict" this situation, or
without a oversight body, will the net become more like the "Dodge
City" of old?  It will be people v security v verification.
This has already become a problem with online businesses.  What's next?

Tony's possible solution is interesting, but does it require all on the
net to be as cyber-literate as many on this space? I would like to hear
any suggestions.

"Anonymized" also offered the general observation that, due to the

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/kgFolB/TM