[iwar] More complete approaches

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-08-27 12:38:54

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 12:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] More complete approaches

> Given the fact that an attack is sinister, is it necessarily complex?
> I would suggest no.  It may exploit complexities.  It may require a
> great deal of understanding and domain knowledge, but the attack
> itself may be relatively simple.  Just because a diamond cutter has a
> high degree of domain knowledge and the diamond itself is a complex
> structure does not mean that the hammer and pick need to also be
> complex.  (Maybe this is a bad analogy, and if you think so, I am sure
> you will let me know.:)
> I admit that my historical experience is limited.  I just thought
> about what damage I personally could do and how I would do it.

I don't claim to have an exclusive on knowledge or good ideas.  It's
just that I have looked at it in some depth to come to my conclusions.
That doesn't make them more valid - although it probably makes them more
likely to be accurate.

Perhaps you could share with us a notion of what sorts of things you
contemplated so we can understand your perspective better?

> historical survey or a creative approach that simply attempts to
> answer the question "what is possible?"?  I am guessing you would
> prefer the latter.

I prefer details which I can then use to make judgements.  What do you
think is possible and how? That's the only real way I have found to get
to the bottom of any issue.  Get to the details and see how they pan
out.  It would also probably be interesting to other readers to get a
sense of what you think is possible and how you might do it.  Obviously
don't reveal anything you believe to be confidential property of anyone
other than yourself...

FC
--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/aihfLB/oT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM