Re: [iwar] How bigger, badder Code Red worms are being built

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-09-06 10:17:08

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 10:17:08 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] How bigger, badder Code Red worms are being built

Does it really matter? The 'horse is out of the barn" as with Napster.
Far more serious matters of finance and international security are now
in the balance with Iwar.  It might be useful to start looking at these
issues as they can affect the either periodicity of war, or the
ultimate outcome of warfare and the geostrategic balance of world
power.  Those are the "bottom line" matters we all must address. Even
engineers must consider these factors in their calculations.  How to do
so is a difficult consideration.  Netcentric is a global issue.

<http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2810219,00.html>

<http://www.zdnet.com/products/stories/reviews/0,4161,2810225,00.html>

<http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/stories/story/0,10738,2797739,00.html>

<http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/antivirus/SciPapers/Kephart/ALIFE3/alife3
> .html> ," which looks at lessons learned from biological infections
> and how,
> with an understanding of this model, programmers might better design
> future
> digital organisms (they don't specifically say "worms").
>
> Basically, the authors of both the Warhol and Flash worms assumed a
> very
> simple Internet model where every node to be infected is a neighbor
> of every
> other node. The reality is much more complicated. That's what Nazario
> says
> torpedoes the technical merits of both of these studies.
> SO WHY even mention this research? Nicolas Weaver himself posts that
> he is
> leaving his paper up online so that people can understand, with
> documentation, what danger there is in a homogenous Internet. Someone
> will
> attempt to do what these authors have proposed, and someone might
> someday
> make a worm that "flashes" the entire Internet with a malicious
> payload.
> Rather than be caught unaware, isn't it better to realize this is out
> there
> and take steps to minimize its impact?
>
> Weaver proposes that companies use context-sensitive firewalls where
> only
> "that which is not explicitly allowed is forbidden." He further
> suggests
> internal firewalls throughout the company and regular security
> audits. He
> adds, "regular backups are also essential." He further suggests that:
> "Homogenous populations, whether in potatoes or computers, are always
> more
> vulnerable to diseases." That's something to remember when
> implementing one
> or multiple types of servers on your network. Just as biodiversity
> has kept
> life going on Earth, mixing up one's operating systems can only
> strengthen
> the Internet

http://im.yahoo.com

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM