[iwar] Interesting summary information...

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-12 03:08:22

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 03:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] Interesting summary information...

Extracts from WTCP report

World Trade Center (WTC)
- - Southern tower of World Trade Center collapses.
- - 50,000 people work in WTC.
- - In the first attack, a plane hit the North Tower of the World Trade
Center in Manhattan at 08:45 EST., followed by another plane into the
South Tower at 9:03 EST. Both towers later collapsed.
- - Crashed at around 08:45 EST into Tower 1 of the World Trade Center.
- - Both north and south towers of WTC collapsed. North tower collapsed
at 10:29 EST.
- - Building Seven of the complex collapsed. Building housed the NYC
OEM and Secret Service.
- - 78 NYPD officer missing
- - 200 firefighters missing presumed dead.

Pentagon
- - At 09:38 EST a suspected Boeing 767 crashed into the Army corridor
of the Pentagon
- - Outside of 5th corridor hit, Army corridor. 60ft. lateral section
collapsed all five stories.
- - 2nd aircraft believed to be threatening Pentagon. F-16 scrambled to
intercept.
- - An American Airlines Boeing 757.

Hijackers
- - Team of 3-5 people on each plane. Armed in at least two cases with knives.

George Washington Bridge
- - Two-three people arrested. Van with explosive device(s) found
possibly on NJ Turnpike near NYC's George Washington Bridge. Later
NYC Police Chief said no explosives were found.

SIGINT Intercepts
- - Intercepts reportedly caught members talking about hitting two
targets and referring to al-Qaeda.

State Dept.
- - Reported car bombing at State Dept. Was later proved to be a false rumor.

United Airlines Flight 93
- - United Airlines Flight 93 , a Boeing 757, crashed at 10:10 EST just
north of the Somerset County Airport, about 80 miles southeast of
Pittsburgh. Flight was from Newark, NJ to San Francisco. The flight
had 38 passengers and a crew of eight.
- - Witnesses said the plane hit at a 45 degree angle.
- - Passenger locked in bathroom with cell phone said we are being
hijacked to an emergency dispatcher. Conversation was cut-off after a
loud noise.
- - Mark Bingham, passenger on plane used airphone to call mother. The
passenger told his mother that three hijackers were on board and have
threatened that they have a bomb.
- - No terrorism transponder alert code keyed in.

United Airlines Flight 175
- - United Airlines Flight 175, a Boeing 767, from Boston to Los
Angeles, with 56 passengers and nine crew members on board, crashed
into the south tower of the World Trade Center at around 09:20 EST.
- - No terrorism transponder alert code keyed in.

American Airlines Flight 11
- - American Flight 11 from Boston to LA. A Boeing 767 with 81 passengers
and 11 crew members hijacked and lost.
- - Plane crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center at 8:48 EST.
- - Barbarra Olson told her husband that the hijackers were armed with
knives and box cutters. They herded all of the passengers and
pilot(s) to the back of the plane. Olson called her husband by cell
phone twice. Olson knew about the two crashes.
- - Plane crashed into Pentagon.
- - No terrorism transponder alert code keyed in.

American Airlines Flight 77
- - American Flight 77 from Washington Dulles to Los Angeles. A Boeing
757 with 58
passengers and 6 crew members Hijacked and lost.
- - Crashed into Pentagon.
- - No terrorism transponder alert code keyed in.

Keyed Microphone
- - Microphone keyed open on one of the flights.

Islamic Jihad
- - Islamic Jihad Movement announces that it objects to the targeting
of civilians in terrorist attacks. Palestinian Islamic Jihad.

Japanese Red Army (JRA)

THREAT &amp; CLAIM MONITOR (TCM)
ID #09-2001-0007
TCM Issue Date: 11 Sept. 2001
Group: Japanese Red Army (JRA)
Source: al-Jazeera TV, Doha, 16:25 GMT, 11 Sept. 2001

An unidentified caller said in a phone call to al-Jazeera that the
Japanese Red Army (JRA) claimed responsibility for the airline
hijackings and crashes in New York City and Washington, DC on 11
Sept. 2001. The caller stated the attacks were in retaliation for
those killed in Hiroshima during World War II. The caller was
speaking Arabic with a foreign accent.

Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine [DFLP]
- - Deputy secretary-general of the Democratic Front for the Liberation
of Palestine [DFLP] strongly denounced attacks.

Alleged Warning of Attack by Osama bin Laden
- - Following excerpt from Reuters: Saudi dissident Osama bin Laden
(news - web sites) warned three weeks ago that he and his followers
would carry out an unprecedented attack on U.S. interests for its
support of Israel, an Arab journalist with access to him said
Tuesday. Abdel-Bari Atwan, editor of the London-based al-Quds
al-Arabi, an Arabic-language weekly news magazine, said Islamic
fundamentalists led by bin Laden were ``almost certainly'' behind the
attack of the World Trade Center in New York. ``It is most likely the
work of Islamic fundamentalists. Osama bin Laden warned three weeks
ago that he would attack American interests in an unprecedented
attack, a very big one,'' Atwan told Reuters. ``Personally, we
received information that he planned very, very big attacks against
American interests. We received several warnings like this. We did
not take it so seriously, preferring to see what would happen before
reporting it.'' Atwan has interviewed bin Laden and maintains close
contacts with his followers.

Afghanistan
- - Missile/air strikes in Kabul Afghanistan begin around 23:00 GMT/18:00 EST.
- - White House said it did not launch strike.
- - Afghan opposition forces claim responsibility for strikes in Kabul.

Abu Hamza al-Masri
- - London-based leader of the Supporters of Sharia.
- - Known associations: Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed, Aden-Abyan Islamic Army

al-Gama'a al-Islamiya (IG)
- - On August 21, 1998, the IG issued a statement entitled "Your Crime
Will Not Pass Unpunished" in response to the US strikes in
Afghanistan and Sudan. The statement called on Muslims to "besiege
the US Embassies in our Muslim countries and force the rulers to
close them down." In addition, the statement encourages potential
attackers by saying, "To those against whom war is made, permission
is given to fight because they have been wronged."
- - The last major attack by the IG was the November 1997 shooting in
Luxor, Egypt. Since then the group has undergone considerable
factionalization and conflicting statements about its intentions have
been issued. While recent declarations of ceasefire by certain
leadership elements have been issued, it is doubtful that these apply
to all factions. Another factor involved in the lack of activity
within Egypt may also be the groups shift in focus. Much as the
Egyptian Islamic Jihad has, the IG has also begun to concentrate more
of its activities outside of Egypt and work more closely with the
Egyptian Islamic Jihad and other groups in the International Islamic
=46ront network.
- - The IG has vowed to implement a fatwa issued during the beginning
of Oct. by Abd-al-Rahman, currently serving a life sentence in a US
prison, urging Muslims to "kill Jews wherever they are found." The IG
issued a statement on 9 Oct. asserting that jihad to liberate
Palestine is a "religious duty by the consensus of Muslims. Any
Muslim who can do this duty and fails to do it is a sinner who
deserves God's wrath." The statement addressed the Muslims: "Today,
you are standing at a dangerous crossroads. You should rise to the
level of the grave event that threatens your holy places and destroys
your existence. Otherwise, do not expect anything from politicians
except more sweet words, embellished promises, and other rounds of
the policies of deception." The statement said: "The Islamic nation
is free of all the agreements and treaties concluded with the Jews,"
noting that the Jews themselves "realize that these agreements were
concluded behind the back of the Islamic nation and without its
approval." The statement stressed that the jihad option "is the only
option." It said: "The angry uprising of the masses of the nation is
a real and sincere expression of their attitude. The existing regimes
have no choice but to respond to the masses. This is the choice they
have between the nation's choice of jihad and the smart talk of
politicians, who claim that these flagrant violations are the tax of
peace. We never had peace with the Jews. They imposed their goals by
force and by pursuing a policy of fait accompli to consolidate the
occupation." The statement pledged to "support fully the Islamic
resistance in all its factions inside Palestine to ensure its
continued struggle."

al-Muhajiroun
- - UK Leader is Anjem Choudary.
- - IIF issues threat. - On August 22, 1998, the International Islamic
=46ront (IIF) issued threats for revenge against the US and Israel. The
threats were  sent via faxes from Peshawar, Pakistan, to the London
base of the fundamentalist group al-Muhajiroun (reported  mouthpiece
of the IIF). It said the IIF was mobilizing against the US and Israel
to: bring down their aircraft; prevent the safe passage of their
ships; orchestrate occupation of their embassies; force closure  of
American and Israeli companies and banks. The group warned  that the
actions would be "pitiless and violent." On August 24,  Sheikh Omar
Bakri Mohammed, who describes himself as the British  spokesman of
the IIF, said in response to the possibility of  attacks in Britain
and Europe, "I would take the threat very  seriously. I would expect
that Muslims in Europe will take  action."
- - Has a major branch in Pakistan'
- - Group has endorsed the actions of Osama bin Laden.
- - Group hosted a conference in 1998 in which Hamas, Hezbollah, and
Egyptian and Algerian fundamentalist groups took part.
- - Has stated that the US, Israel, Russia, and Britain have declared
war on Islam.
- - Was scheduled to hold a conference on Sept. 19, 1999 in London. The
theme of the conference was to be unifying the fundamentalist
movement. (Whether or not the conference actually took place has not
been confirmed yet.)
- - The British Charity Commission reportedly withdrew al-Muhajiroun's
charity license around Nov. 1999. The licenses for the Sharia Court
of the UK and the London School of Sharia were also revoked. All
three organizations are supervised by Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed.
Commenting on the loss of the licenses Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed
said, "that the withdrawal of the Sharia Court's license is part of
the attempt to tighten the noose on Islamists in Britain." He added
that "in the past, we used to work within the legal limits, but it
seems that from now on we have no other option but to work outside
the allowed limits."

Ayman al-Zawahirri
  - Prior to the US strikes on August 20, 1998, on the same day, Ayman
al-Zawahiri contacted The News, a Pakistani English-language daily,
and said on behalf of bin Laden, "bin Laden calls on Moslem Ummah
(community) to continue Jihad (holy war) against Jews and Americans
to liberate their holy places. In the meanwhile, he denies any
involvement in the Nairobi and Dar es Salaam bombings." Al-Zawahiri
is the head of the military wing of the International Islamic Front
and of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad.
- - A.K.A. - Abu Muhammad, Abu Fatima, Muhammad Ibrahim, Abu Abdallah,
Abu al-Mu'iz, The Doctor, The Teacher
- - DoB June 19, 1951 in Egypt
- - Hair: Brown/Black; Eyes: Dark
- - Speaks Arabic and French
- - He is a physician and in addition to his advisory roles to Osama
bin Laden. He is also believed to serve as his doctor.
- - Shortly after the USS Cole attack, he issued a call for jihad,
urging Muslims worldwide to attack US and Israeli targets to avenge
the deaths of Palestinians killed in the past two weeks of clashes
with Israel. He reportedly faxed his call to the Islamabad bureau of
the Abu Dhabi channel of United Arab Emirates Television, according
to its bureau chief Jamal Ismael.
- - According to al-Sharq al-Awsat, "The official records of the
Egyptian authorities indicate that Ayman Muhammad Rabi' al-Zawahiri,
known as Ayman al-Zawahiri, was born in Cairo on 19 June 1951. He
joined the National School in Misr al-Jadidah and was transferred to
the National School in al-Ma'adi where he spent the primary and
middle stages and obtained his secondary certificate from al-Ma'adi
School in 1968. He enrolled at the faculty of medicine at Cairo
University and graduated from it in 1974. Al-Zawahiri lived at the
family house No. 10 on Street 154 in the al-Ma'adi District south of
Cairo. This district is known in Egypt as the district of the rich.
The house is a two-level villa currently occupied by his mother Mrs.
Umaymah 'Abd-al-Wahhab and his niece. His two sisters Hibah and
Aminah are married and his two brothers Muhammad and Husayn live
outside Egypt, the former is currently in Afghanistan. Al-Zawahiri
has a private clinic that still has a plate bearing his name at
Street 77 in al-Ma'adi District south of Cairo."
- - Became leader of the Jihad organization in 1991.
- - According to al-Sharq al-Awsat interview with Zawahiri's lawyer,
Muntasir al-Zayat, "=8Awho knew him for many years, namely his lawyer
Muntasir al-Zayyat. Al-Zayyat said: One needs to talk in detail and
explain about Dr. Ayman whether with regard to him or to his early
beginnings in the mid 1960s and his association with figures who
contributed to the establishment of the Jihad movement. I regard it
more of a movement than an organization and more accurately a case of
thought. In those days there were Yahya Hashim and Isma'il Tantawi
and at that time Ayman al-Zawahiri was in his early beginnings and
there was 'Isam al-Qamari and others. This was the group in the
beginning and it started to establish the roots for the Jihad
thinking based on the writings of Sayyid Qutub and Salim al-Rahhal
and afterward Kamal al-Sa'id Habib and Muhammad 'Abd-al-Salam Faraj.
All of these were different schools of thought and together they
formed the Jihad Movement, which is a movement of thought based on
extremism with regard to religion and embraces the principle that
ignorance should not [providing missing word "not"] be excused. It
differs from the school of the Islamic Group that used to excuse
ignorance.
[Abu-Stayt] When did his association with the fundamentalist groups begin?
[Al-Zayyat] In fact, he was influenced by some of his friends and I
believe that in the beginning it was perhaps with Yahya Hashim. Yahya
Hashim was a former public prosecutor who left his job and joined the
ranks of the Jihad early on and was killed in clashes with the police
in the early 1970s. He caused a transformation in the thinking and
course of al-Zawahiri. Al-Zawahiri was deeply influenced by him.
After that, al-Zawahiri adopted the coup method instead of the
popular revolution method that was embraced by the Islamic Group at
that time. Al-Zawahiri was also a professional in underground work
and even when he allied himself with the group of 'Abd-al-Salam
=46araj, the southern organization of the Islamic Group, he was
carrying out underground activities at that time. He based his
thoughts on pouncing on the regime either by recruiting elements
within the army and carrying out a coup or exploiting and seizing any
situation of a popular rebellion to achieve the coup.
[Abu-Stayt] How was he arrested?
[Al-Zayyat] The person who exposed Ayman al-Zawahiri in 1981 was a
young man at the time called Mustafa 'Awad, who was arrested with a
bag in his possession in which some belongings of Ayman al-Zawahiri
were found. Al-Zawahiri admitted this and it was confirmed by the
testimony of his colleague in prison and by his lawyer.
- - Comments made by Ayman al-Zawahiri to Egyptian prosecutors
according to the al Sharq al-Awsat, " We now return to the statements
of al-Zawahiri before the prosecution in which he discussed in detail
the names of a number of those whom he succeeded in enlisting in the
organization that he later established. Al-Zawahiri said: Before I
was arrested, our organization was made up of myself as amir along
with Muhammad 'Abd-al-Rahim, Sayyid Imam, Amin al-Dumayri, Nabil
al-Bar'i, Khalid Midhat al-Faqiyy, Khalid 'Abd-al-Sami', Mustafa
Kamil Mustafa, 'Abd-al-Hadi al-Tunisi, and my brother Muhammad. The
three others are in an Arab country and the security authorities did
not know anything about us.
Al-Zawahiri said: The first meeting between me and 'Abbud al-Zumar
was at 10 o'clock in the evening on 6 October 1981, that is about
eight hours after the assassination of al-Sadat. I went to the
apartment in the al-Haram district in which he was hiding and I had
Amin al-Dumayri and Sayyid Imam with me. We went in a car and Sayyid
Imam and I stayed in the car while al-Dumayri went up to the
apartment and brought down al-Zumar. I had a discussion with him over
two issues. First, satisfaction with what was achieved in the
assassination incident and not turning the matter into a
confrontation with the government. Second, the issue of his knowledge
of 'Isam al-Din al-Qamri and whether there was someone called Jamal
Rashid among those who carried out the assassination. Al-Zumar
replied by saying that he did not know al-Qamri or Rashid. He also
affirmed that the ones who carried out the assassination were persons
under his immediate command. I met with 'Abbud al-Zumar three times
after that, once a day or two days after the first meeting. I had
with me Amin al-Dumayri and 'Isam al-Qamri and we met in a car
outside the apartment in which he was hiding. Al-Qamri asked him if
there was a plan to attack those who were present at the funeral of
al-Sadat as he had heard something about it. Al-Zumar replied by
saying that he was thinking about this matter. The second meeting was
on 11 October inside his apartment and I had with me Amin al-Dumayri.
We talked about the Asyut operation and what happened during it and I
recall that I said to him that there were more losses than benefits
from the attack on the security directorate in Asyut. We agreed with
'Abbud to meet the following day and he asked me to bring 'Isam
al-Qamri along because 'Abbud asked al-Qamri to bring 10 hand
grenades and two pistols. The following day al-Qamri brought the
grenades and we went to see 'Abbud at his apartment. During the
meeting, he gave both Amin al-Dumayri and 'Isam al-Qamri some
explosives and a fuse and several detonators. He also gave al-Qamri
two small boxes of ammunition of 6,7, and 9-mm caliber and explained
to 'Abbud the idea of the hand grenades that he manufactured and how
they were used.
- - Comments by people who knew Zawahiri according to the al-Sharq
al-Awsat, "Kamal Habib, who was imprisoned for 10 years in connection
with the same case, spoke about
that period. Habib said: I came to know Ayman in early 1981 and I had
not met him in person prior to that time. This is because I was with
the group of Salim al-Rahhal who used to go around with closed Jihad
groups. At some point I came to know 'Isam al-Qamri, who was in the
army with the rank of major and Ayman was in his group, which was
also a closed group and had a history of secrecy and stern
organizational work. It included Isma'il al-Tantawi, Muhammad
'Abd-al-Rahim al-Sharqawi, and Nabil al-Bar'ati and this group
started nearly in the late 1960s. Habib added: This group started to
receive the fundamentalist ideas within the framework Faqiyy, who
taught the members of the group. This group remained closed and
discussed affairs of the religion which was its pivot. When the
military youth group emerged, the al-Qamri group did not join it due
to differences and reservations over the secrecy of the group. The
October War broke out in 1973, the brother of 'Alawi was martyred in
it and the question was asked as to whether this martyrdom was true.
The group used to adopt the view of the military coup since it is the
more legitimate and less bloody than popular revolutions. Moreover,
'Isam al-Qamri had joined the war college and actually believed in
this jihad thought. Kamal Habib also talked about the behavior of
Ayman al-Zawahiri in prison. Habib said: While in prison, I used to
meet him in court during the trial sessions. He is a very calm person
and polite and has more of a strategic thought than being an
intellectual or the owner of jurisprudence interpretations or even a
student in search of knowledge."
"Muntasir al-Zayyat was imprisoned as a member of the Jihad
Organization that is led by al-Zawahiri. Al-Zayyat said: I met him
for the first time in the Liman Turrah [names as transliterated]
prison after we were both accused in Case No. 81/42 following the
assassination of al-Sadat. We spent three years together in prison
and his most significant
characteristic was his calmness and composure. At the same time
however, he was firm and adopted a firm position on the religious
authority of Dr. 'Umar 'Abd-al-Rahman and he has his own opinion
about this issue. He often spoke to Dr. 'Abd-al-Rahman, who
relinquished his religious authority in order to prevent bloodshed
and to unify the ranks. Al-Zayyat added: We knew that he was a
skilled doctor and surgeon and after he was released from prison in
1984 he lived a normal life and continued to work at his clinic in
al-Ma'adi. However, we felt that he was determined to leave Egypt and
learned that he had set out to study the mistakes of the past and
draw up visions for the future. The trial of al-Zawahiri in
connection with the aforementioned case ended and he was sentenced to
three years in prison, which he served and was released at the end of
it. He returned to live a normal life and opened a clinic on Street
77 in the al-Ma'adi District near the house of his family and where
he lived with his wife whom he married in 1979. He continued to live
there until he left Egypt in 1985. He went to the Pakistani City of
Peshawar initially to work as a doctor treating the wounded
mujahidin, who were later known as the Arab Afghans. A new chapter
began when al-Zawahiri inaugurated a special center for the Jihad
Organization in Peshawar called the Islamic Jihad Bureau and that as
in 1987. Afterward, he published a monthly magazine called 'al-Fath'
[conquest] and came to know Usamah Bin-Ladin and his men. 'Abdallah
'Azzam played a part in convincing them of the person of al-Zawahiri
and his organizational method and vision of employing the Afghan
jihad arena in the training of Arab members preparatory to
re-exporting the back to their own countries once again. Meanwhile,
the Peshawar, on the border between Pakistan and Afghanistan, had
turned into the biggest duty free market for manufacturing and
exporting violence. Al-Zawahiri by that time had entrenched his
relationship with Bin-Ladin who introduced him to the Afghan leaders
such as Hikmatyar and more recently the Taleban Movement as one of
the leaders of the Egyptian mujahidin, who continued to flood into
the Afghan arena. Bin-Ladin also introduced al-Zawahiri as someone
with a superior strategic thought and he was allowed to establish a
guesthouse called Bayt al-Qa'idah [base house] for the Arab arrivals.
There, he started to receive hundreds of young men who came from the
Arab countries. In the mean time, the Palestinian 'Abdallah 'Azzam
was killed along with two of his sons in an assassination operation
that continues to be shrouded in mystery. There are speculations
about this operation and some went as far as accusing Usamah
Bin-Ladin of being responsible for this massacre. In order to justify
this claim, it has been said that Bin-Ladin did that so that 'Azzam,
who was then called the amir of the mujahidin, would not rival him.
'Azzam played a major role in entrenching the presence of al-Zawahiri
and he provided him with moral and material support and facilities by
the Afghan leaders. Before al-Zawahiri became established in
Peshawar, he practiced a simple role as a doctor treating the
mujahidin who were fighting battles inside the Afghan territories
around the cities of Jalalabad and Khost and Jaji [name as
transliterated]. However, the relationship between al-Zawahiri and
Bin-Ladin was tantamount to a turning point in the lives of the two
together and perhaps also the third man 'Azzam. The thing that
happened is that Usamah Bin-Ladin was the one who partnered
al-Zawahiri in the establishment of the so-called World Front for the
Liberation of the Holy Places. Al-Zawahiri was assisted in the shura
council of the front at that time by a group of leaders from the
Jihad Organization. They were 'Adil 'Abd-al-Quddus, 'Abdallah
Muhammad Rajab, Ahmad Salamah Mabruk, Murjan Mustafa Salim, Tharwat
Salah Shihatah, Nasr Fahmi Nasr, and his brother Muhammad Rabi'
al-Zawahiri and others, several of whom were either arrested or later
handed over to the Egyptian government by international security
apparatuses.
The relationship between al-Zawahiri and Usamah Bin-Ladin become so
entrenched to the point that by then they had a common destiny."
- - Zawahiri and the creation of the Vanguards of Conquest according to
al-Sharq al-Awsat, "We now return to the end of the Afghan war. We
start with the return of those who are known as the Arab Afghans to
their country. The Egyptian security apparatuses arrested more than
800 person who were accused at the time of establishing a religious
organization called the Islamic Conquest Vanguards [Tala'i' al-Fath
al-Islami]. The story of this organization is told by Salah Sulayman,
the first defendant in the case of the assassination attempt against
'Atif Sidqi to the Egyptian prosecutor. Sulayman said: The story of
those called the Arab Afghans started when al-Zawahiri met with a
young Egyptian man called 'Adli Yusuf, alias Suhayb al-Masri, and who
was barely 20 years old and who arrived in Peshawar from one of the
villages of the Bani Mazar Center in al-Minya. He joined the Afghan
mujahidin and later became a liaison officer between the Afghan
leaders and the Arabs who came to Peshawar. He then worked as a
trainer and instructed thousands of fundamentalist elements on the
arts of using weapons and handling explosives and the rules of
military topography and street battles. He returned to Egypt in 1985,
at the instruction of al-Zawahiri and funded by Bin-Ladin, to call
the young men of rural Egypt at the Universities of al-Minya and
Asyut to travel to
Afghanistan and carry out the jihad there. Many responded to him,
foremost of whom was Tal'at Fu'ad Qasim. He was 34 years old at the
time and an engineering graduate from the University of al-Minya. He
was included in the list of charges in the major jihad case in 1981
and his name was 11th on that list ahead of al-Zawahiri. He was
sentenced to seven years in prison but managed to escape to Sudan in
1988 and from there he went to Sanaa and then Karachi via Dubayy and
finally ended up in Peshawar. There, he rivaled his adversary
al-Zawahiri on the confidence of Bin-Ladin and within a few months
managed to establish a guesthouse that he named Bayt al-Ansar [house
of partisans] and that was better than that of al-Zawahiri. Thus, he
found himself pitted in a clear rivalry with the Zawahiri group and
this rivalry later on turned into a silent conflict that gradually
started to surface with the arrival of more newcomers from Egypt and
the Arab countries most of whom joined Tal'at Fu'ad Qasim, alias
Abu-Talal al-Qawasimi. They included Muhammad Shawqi al-Islambuli
whose reputation had arrived ahead of him as the brother of Khalid
al-Islambuli, the killer of al-Sadat. They also included Mustafa
Hamzah and Tal'at Yasin Hammam and others who joined Bayt al-Ansar
which was run by the Egyptian Islamic Group."
- - More details on al-Zawahiri from al-Shaq al-Awsat profile,
"Al-Zayyat recalls the story of the journey of al-Zawahiri from
Egypt. Al-Zayyat said: He left Egypt toward the end of 1985. We had
filed a lawsuit for him and Amin al-Dumayri with the state council
and they won a stay of execution against the decision of the minister
of interior banning their travel. At the time, Ayman al-Zawahiri left
and I was with him one day before he left and he told me that he was
going to Jeddah because he had signed a contract as a doctor with the
Ibn al-Nafis clinic in Jeddah. I met him in Jeddah between 1985-1986
and toward the end of 1986 he went directly to Afghanistan from
Jeddah. He went to Peshawar and worked as a doctor in the medical
relief caravans and there he came to know Usamah Bin-Ladin and
'Abdallah 'Azzam and began to reorganize his ranks and papers and he
opened the first camp there for the Egyptian jihad groups. Ayman
al-Zawahiri also helped the Islamic Group to have their own camp
there and he started to teach Bin-Ladin the jihad thought until he
adopted the jihad thought and jurisprudence and personally
participated in the jihad operations. Al-Zawahiri also surrounded
Bin-Ladin with a number of clergymen who later became his closest
aides and advisers and subsequently Ayman al-Zawahiri became the
dominant force. For he surrounded Bin-Ladin with Abi 'Ubaydah
al-Banshiri, who drowned off one of the African coasts two years ago,
and Abu-Hafas al-Masri, alias Abu-Sunnah, who is wanted by the United
States as the right hand man of Bin-Ladin. I would say that in this
way and through this network of aides and Sa'id Salamah, who is in
charge of Bin-Ladin's projects in Sudan, and they were all members of
the Jihad Organization, al-Zawahiri completely mentally and
financially controlled Bin-Ladin. Thus, the largest share of the
support that Bin-Ladin was giving went to al-Zawahiri and the Jihad
Organization while he only supported the Islamic Group with tiny
morsels. Thus, his relationship with al-Zawahiri became without
limits while his relationship with the Islamic Group became marred by
some degree of reservation. In order for the picture to be complete
we move once again from the information by the lawyer of al-Zawahiri
to the confessions of Salah Sulayman, the first defendant in the case
of the assassination attempt against 'Atif Sidqi. Sulayman was
responsible for operating the electronic circuit of the remote
control equipment to detonate the explosive charge, which was placed
inside the Opel car and which was used to intercept the motorcade of
the former Egyptian prime minister. He affirmed that his Conquest
Vanguards group was called the Vanguard of the Soldiers of God, which
was led by Nazih Nushi Rashid, who was killed when he blew himself up
in a suicide operation against former Interior Minister Hasan
al-Alfi. Sulayman added that this group had received intensive
training inside the Afghan territories on the use of combat arms such
as tanks, anti-aircraft and anti-tank guns, and on planting and
removing mines. Then they moved to Sanaa and established a number of
camps near the mountainous regions such as the Badr, al-Qadisiyah,
and al-Maraqishah camps. There, they received other kinds of training
represented by the technical aspects of guerilla warfare such as the
use of light defensive and offensive weapons such as Kalashnikov
rifles and fast-firing pistols and handling explosives and timing and
remote control devices. The identity and names of the persons who
were in charge of training were shrouded with mystery. For according
to the confessions and the story of the defendant, he affirmed that
they did not their real names but every one of them had a nom de
guerre. Thus, the number of groups that al-Zawahiri pushed into Egypt
increased and there were repeated arrests to the point that their
numbers exceeded 1,000. This forced the authorities to divide them up
into four groups and they were all put on trial before the military
courts in separate cases and death sentences were passed against some
and prison sentences were passed against others. This led to the
eruption of deep differences within the organization. These coincided
with differences between al-Zawahiri and Sayyaid Imam al-Sharif,
alias Dr. Fadl, the interlocutor of the organization who was shrouded
with mystery. Al-Sharif accused al-Zawahiri of stealing his
publications and attributing them to himself after they had agreed
together to publish in the name of the 'Jihad Group in Egypt'. Then
there was the dispute between al-Zawahiri and his deputy Muhammad
Makkawi, who was known as the colonel because he was in the army
before joining the organization and traveling to Afghanistan. Lawyer
Muntasir al-Zayyat talked about these differences. Al-Zayyat said: I
am the lawyer of both men and I do not have any details about the
cause of the disagreement. However, I asked a number of members from
the Jihad Organization, who were arrested and accused in cases of
violence and who had met the two men in Pakistan and Afghanistan. I
asked them about the reasons for the disagreement between the men
after Arab newspapers and magazines had published interviews with
Makkawi who leveled strong accusations against al-Zawahiri. They were
all unanimously agreed that the relationship between the two men only
started in Peshawar. Makkawi had gone there after being acquitted in
Case No. 401 in 1987. He left Egypt and started to search for a role
among the Jihad leaders. However, he was surprised to find that
rising up in the leadership within the Jihad Organization required
certain criteria that did not apply to him. Moreover, al-Zawahiri was
in control of things inside the organization and subsequently he,
along with five others, announced a split from the Jihad Organization.
[Abu-Stayt] But Makkawi announced on several occasions that he was
the commander
of the Conquest Vanguards Organization?
[Al-Zayyat] The investigations in the different Conquest Vanguards
cases revealed that the defendants were members of the Jihad
Organization led by al-Zawahiri. Makkawi had many times claimed
responsibility for operations that were carried out inside Egypt but
when the culprits were arrested they would start shouting the name of
al-Zawahiri from inside the docks. In fact, some of them would say
that they did not know a person called Muhammad Makkawi."
- - Information on Zawahiri colleagues from al-Sharq al-Awsat, "There
is his brother
Muhammad al-Zawahiri.  According to US intelligence services
information, he is responsible for Jihad's military wing and member
of  its Shura Council.  He was in charge of contacts with the
Organization's  leaders inside Egypt and moved with his brother
Ayman.  Muhammad  al-Zawahiri is also in charge of the plans for the
operations that the
Organization delegates to its military wing to carry out. There is
also fugitive Tharwat Salah Shihatah who was sentenced to death in
the 'Atif Sidqi case in 1993. He is a member of the Shura Council too
and took over charge of the Organization's civilian committee after
the extradition of Ahmad Mabruk to Egypt. The same sources confirm
that Shihatah accompanies al-Zawahiri like his shadow and that he has
moved between several countries, such as Yemen, Sudan, Azerbaijan,
and Dagestan.

The most mysterious person among al-Zawahiri's men is Subhi Muhammad
Abu-Sinnah, alias Abu-Hafs al-Masri. He is regarded as one of
al-'Qa'idah Organization's leaders.   The US authorities want him and
have put up a $5 million reward for any information that will lead to
his arrest. He is very close to Usamah Bin-Ladin and took charge of
al-Qa'idah following the death of Abu-'Ubaydah al-Banshiri who was
killed in mysterious circumstances while in the Great Lakes area in
west Africa.

Then comes 'Abd-al-'Aziz Musa al-Jamal. He is the current field
commander of al-Qa'idah's training camps in Afghanistan. He picked
three members to train on flying gliders in preparation for an
operation to rescue the detainees from the Turrah Prison in Cairo.

'Ali Abu al-Sa'ud, Abu-'Umar, is a former lieutenant colonel in the
Egyptian Armed Forces.  He was discharged in 1984 and then went to
the United States where he enlisted in the US Army. He returned to
Egypt in 1995 and then fled back to the United States with a forged
passport. He is regarded as one of the most important and most
mysterious leaders of the Jihad Organization because of his role, the
tasks he was entrusted with, and his connections with US organs.
Available information about him says that he is in charge of the
Organization's base in the United States and had in the past trained
some of Jihad's members in Afghanistan's camps. He is one of the nine
defendants sentenced to
death in the Returnees from Albania case.

We cannot look at al-Zawahiri's men without mentioning 'Ali Amin
al-Rashidi, alias Abu-'Ubaydah al-Banshiri.   His security file in
Egypt  includes information that indicates that he was a police
officer who was  dismissed after the assassination of former
President Anwar al-Sadat in  October 1991 because his brother in law
'Abd-al-Hamid 'Abd-al-Salam was  involved in it, together with
Officer Khalid al-Islambuli and others. He left Egypt in 1983 and
became the military commander of the camps for  training al-Qa'idah's
fundamentalist members. Al-Banshiri also took charge of forming armed
fundamentalist groups in Africa and trained them on the use of
weapons and explosives. He was as well the liaison officer between
these groups, Bin-Ladin, and al-Zawahiri until he became involved
later on in the US embassies' explosions in Kenya and Tanzania.

There is also 'Adil al-Sayyid 'Abd-al-Quddus. Egypt's security
services say that he is in charge of the Jihad base in Austria and a
fugitive from two death sentences. One of them was issued in the 1993
'Atif Sidqi case and the other was issued last April in the case of
the revival of the Organization. He is in charge of the group's
families committee and a Shura Council member. He has submitted a
request for political asylum to the Austrian authorities.

Here we must point to one of al-Zawahiri's most prominent aides who
later turned against him and became his most ferocious enemy. It is
Ahmad Husayn 'Ajizah. Information reported by the security services
and confirmed by confessions made by persons close to him indicate
that the dispute between 'Ajizah and al-Zawahiri began when the first
asked for his authorities to be increased. But his request was turned
down because more than 1,000 Jihad members in the Vanguards of
Conquest case were arrested in 1993 and 1994. According to statements
made by al-Zawahiri later, the arrests were the result of 'Ajizah's
bad planning.

The noticeably reserved comments by Muntasir al-Zayyat, the
fundamentalists' lawyer in Egypt, only deepen the mystery of the
nature and causes of this dispute between al-Zawahiri and 'Ajiazah.
He said:

There are things I talk about as an eyewitness and in which I can
personally evaluate through my knowledge some the aides around Ayman
al-Zawahiri, some of whom are my friends.   Some of them worked for
me. My love for them is one thing but my evaluation of their
competence is something else. I was not however intimate with the
relationship between al-Zawahiri and Ahmad Husayn and therefore I
cannot evaluate it objectively because my evaluation will be based on
the cases that I was involved in. This is not enough to judge their
relationship, particularly as my relations with Ahmad Husayn 'Ajizah
was not deep.

We stay with al-Zawahiri's men to reach 'Isam Shu'ayb Muhammad who is
described by security sources as the Jihad member responsible for
receiving and housing the Organization's members in Jordan and Yemen.
He also took part in the raids they carried out during their stay in
Yemen to provide the necessary funds for the Organization's
activities and weapons, as the same sources confirm.

Usamah Siddiq Ayyub, a fugitive from two life sentences and 15 years
hard labor, left Egypt for Afghanistan in 1989.   He moved between
Sudan, Yemen, and Jordan to receive the Organization's members and
house them. He finally settled in Germany in March 1996 where he
sought political asylum.

There finally remains one of the most prominent figures who was very
close to Ayman al-Zawahiri and then clashed with him, thus revealing
much about what was happening inside the Organization and which no
one knew before then, including international and Arab intelligence
services. We are talking about Sayyid Imam al-Sharif, alias Dr. Fadl.
His role as the Jihad's leading ideologue was known before his
differences with al-Zawahiri escalated. It became clear that Fadl
represented the group's jurisprudence authority and was the Jihad
leader until 1991. He resigned from the leadership in favor of
al-Zawahiri following a rift in the ranks and limited himself to the
issuance of shari'ah research papers, publications, and leaflets. His
most notable book is the "Mainstay of Preparation" [Al-'Umdah fi
I'dad al-'Uddah]. Its publication in Afghanistan and Pakistan caused
a great uproar among the fundamentalist organizations in general and
the Egyptian ones in particular. The only other book to rival it in
causing uproar was the "Bitter Harvest" in which he accused
al-Zawahiri of falsely putting his name as the author of the [first]
book. It is recalled that the second book contained caustic and
bitter criticism of the Muslim Brotherhood and its political and
organizational experience. The vicious differences between Dr. Fadl
and al-Zawahiri ended only after the intervention of Bin-Ladin and
the Taleban Movement that asked him to be charge of one of its higher
religious schools.
- - Ayman al-Zawahiri made an appearance on al-Jazeera in Sept.
(date??). Among the comments he made was that he would do all he can
to free Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman from his prison in the US. While
many in the US have forgotten that the US is even holding Sheikh
Rahman, this is something that continues to come up in different
messages and threats issued by Muslim extremist groups, including
comments by Osama bin Laden and Rifa'i Ahmad Taha. Comments by bin
Laden and Taha regarding the release of Rahman have even been
recorded on CD and are being distributed.

Egyptian Islamic Jihad
- - Lead by Ayman al-Zawahiri (although there are numerous reports that
he has resigned from his leadership role), who is also the head of
the military council for Osama bin Laden's International Islamic
=46ront (IIF)
- - On April 1, 1999, Egyptian Islamic Jihad issued a statement saying,
"We declare to the entire world our rejection of any truce with the
(Egyptian) regime. Our battle is essentially with the US and Israel=8A
Any truce with the regime of Hosni Mubarak will constitute a truce
with the US and Israel." The group said the statement was issued to
mark the 20th anniversary of the signing of the Egyptian-Israeli
peace treaty in March 1979.
- - The Egyptian Islamic Jihad is one of the primary groups involved in
Osama bin Laden's terror network. The group's leader, Ayman
al-Zawahiri, lives in Afghanistan with bin Laden and controls the
military wing of the International Islamic Front. The group has
experience in carrying out car bombings, assassinations, and
terrorist attacks against official targets. It has shifted its
attention outside of Egypt and begun to work more closely with the
al-Gama'a al-Islamiya (IG) at Osama bin Laden's apparent urging.

International Islamic Front (IIF)/al-Qaeda
- - The International Islamic Front (a.k.a. World Islamic Front for
Jihad Against Jews and Crusaders or al-Qaeda) is an alliance of
terrorist groups from around the world. It was formed in February
1998 after months of discussion and planning between its members. The
group's Consultative Council is headed by Osama bin Laden. The
group's military wing is headed by Ayman al-Zawahiri, who is also the
head of the Egyptian Islamic Jihad. Speculation has arisen that the
Liberation Army of the Islamic Sanctuaries, which claimed
responsibility for the August 7 bombings in East Africa, is actually
the military wing of the International Islamic Front. Among the
groups falling under the organization's umbrella are the Egyptian
Islamic Jihad, IG, Association of Pakistani Religious Scholars,
al-Ansar Movement (Kashmir), Jihad Movement (Bangladesh), and an
amorphous group known as the Afghan military wing. Al-Zawahiri
reportedly played a key role in the formation of the coalition. The
Egyptian veterans of the Afghan war form the leadership of the group.
Osama bin Laden who lives in Afghanistan, as does al-Zawahiri, heads
the Consultative Council because of his financial resources and
connections. Bin Laden has a long history of involvement in terrorist
attacks targeting the US. He claimed responsibility for the December
1992 attempted bombing of US soldiers in Yemen and publicly stated
that his forces fought against US soldiers during OPERATION RESTORE
HOPE in Somalia in 1993. Four of his followers confessed to the 1995
bombing of a Saudi National Guard building in Riyadh, which killed
five US soldiers and two Indians. He is suspected of financing the
1993 World Trade Center bombing and the 1995 al-Khobar Towers
bombing. Bin Laden's force is believed to number around 3,000
fighters. Many of whom fought in Somalia, Eritrea, Chechnya,
Afghanistan, Bosnia, Tajikistan, and Yemen. Al-Zawahiri heads the
military wing because of his experience in carrying out terrorist
attacks. In 1993, in separate incidents, al-Zawahiri's group, the
Egyptian Islamic Jihad, used car bombs to attempt to assassinate the
then Egyptian Prime Minister Atef Sikdi and then Interior Minister
Hassan al-Alfi. In 1995, Egyptian Islamic Jihad blew up the Egyptian
Embassy in Pakistan, killing 15 and injuring 60. The group claimed
responsibility for the bombing saying it was in retaliation for
Pakistan's extradition of its members to Cairo.

The International Islamic Front is part of the new face of terrorism
where overarching sponsors, like Bin Laden, provide the financial
support and previously unconnected groups, such as those under the
influence of Al-Zawahiri, share support and infrastructure. The end
result is a well-funded organization with both expertise and a global
reach. Previously, nation-states filled the role of international
terrorism sponsor. This new type of organizational structure poses
many new problems for investigators and countries that want to
respond to attacks on their nationals. For investigators, the trail
has become infinitely more intricate. Bombings such as those in East
Africa and at al-Khobar towers do not follow a clear trail of
responsibility. A disciplined cell structure and the involvement of
various players from a host of nations and groups makes the task of
finding the culprits complex and difficult. In terms of how to
respond, the lack of a nation-state player inextricably complicates
the ability of a country to strike back. Quite frankly, there is no
single target that a retaliating nation can identify as either
emblematic or responsible for the terrorist act.

Liberation Army of Islamic Sanctuaries
- - Mohammad Salah, the reporter in Cairo for the al-Hayat who took the
call claiming responsibility for the East Africa bombings by a group
called the Liberation Army of the Islamic Sanctuaries said that he
suspects that the group may be the name of the armed wing of the
International Islamic Front. Though the connection has yet to be
confirmed it is an idea that is very plausible.

Muhammed Atef
- - Believed to be second-in-command of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda organizatio=
n.
- - A.K.A. - Abu Hafs, Abu Hafs El-Masry El-Khabir, Taysir, Sheikh
Taysir Abdullah, Abu Khadijah
- - Born in Egypt
- - Height: 6'4" to 6'6"; Weight: Thin; Hair: Dark Brown/Black; Eyes:
Dark; Citizenship: Egyptian
- - Speaks Arabic

Sheikh Muhammad Sayyid Tantawi
- - The following translation is by the Middle East Media Research
Institute (MEMRI):

Leading Egyptian Cleric Calls for Jihad
In an interview, Sheikh Muhammad Sayyid Tantawi, the Sheikh of
Al-Azhar  the highest ranking religious official in Egypt and a
presidential appointee - called for Jihad against Israel "in defense
of the holy places, the liberation of the land, and the repulsion of
the enemy."  He stated that combating the oppression is incumbent
upon the entire Islamic nation [Ummah] and not an obligation of the
Palestinians alone.  Sheikh Tantawi also declared that Islam requires
that the leaders and people of the Arab and Islamic states support
the Jihad of the Palestinian people. (1)

Jihad is Mandatory

QUESTION:  "The unjust Israeli attacks on our brothers in Palestine
have led many clerics [Ulama] to demand the revival of the spirit of
Jihad in the souls of the youth of the [Islamic] nation, in order to
confront the enemy and liberate the pillaged land.  How do you view
this call now?  Do we need to declare a Jihad against Israel?"

ANSWER:  "Jihad in the path of Allah is a virtue that binds Muslims
at all times, and it is an obligation on everyone who is able to
carry it out, and tens of Qur'anic verses narrate the virtue of Jihad
in the path of Allah, as well as tens of prophetic Hadiths
[traditions].  =85Jihad to confront the enemy and liberate the pillaged
land is an obligation on Muslims in every time and place.  Jihad in
Islam was not legislated in order to fight faithful people, or to
take away their money, violate their [women=92s] honor, occupy their
land, curtail their freedoms, or negate their dignity.  Rather, the
Jihad was legislated to repel the aggressor enemy, support the
oppressed, exalt the word of the Allah, and to fight the vile.  This
is what our brothers are now doing in occupied Palestine.  Their
Jihad against the enemy, against oppression, and against the Israeli
tyranny is a legitimate and noble Jihad.  It is obligatory for the
entire [Islamic] nation=85 to support them in their Jihad.  It is
sufficient=85 that they are wage Jihad in the name of the entire
[Islamic] nation and advancing their spirits in sacrifice to the
religion of Allah and in defense of the blessed Al-Aqsa mosque.  =85The
entire [Islamic] nation=85 supports them=85 in the defense of their holy
places and asserts their legitimate rights to [wage] Jihad to stop
the enemy and the oppression which they have endured Allah afflicted
them with, and since the entire Ummah was afflicted by, what is
called 'Israel.'"

On Fighting the Jews

QUESTION:  "Does this mean that fighting the Jews is a duty, so that
the land can be liberated and Israel restrained from its tyranny and
enmity?"

ANSWER:  "Allah the Almighty says in His book, 'Fight in the path of
Allah those who fight you and do not transgress, for Allah does not
love transgressors.'  =85Fighting in Israel is an obligation=85 in
support of the oppressed, and it is=85 fighting in order to repel the
aggressors.  As long as the Jews are aggressors and pillage our
rights and spill our blood, it is our duty to fight them.  If they
stop fighting, recognize our rights, and return the pillaged land to
us, then it is our duty to treat them well and adhere to our [good]
treatment of them=85"

"Peace is rejected"

Q:  "Several days ago during the Al-Quds rally, you raised the
slogan, "What was taken by force can only be returned by force."
Does this mean that you have lost hope in the peace negotiations with
Israel and that you support the choice of force?"

A:  "Israel is the one that is forcing us to choose force, because it
does not want a just and comprehensive peace with us=85"

Endnotes:

(1) Al-Hayat Al-Jadida, Oct. 10, 2000.  The initial interview was in
the United Arab Emirates paper Al-Khaleej.

Osama bin Laden
  - Bin Laden has a long history of involvement in terrorist attacks
targeting the US. He claimed responsibility for the December 1992
attempted bombing of US soldiers in Yemen and publicly stated that
his forces fought against US soldiers during OPERATION RESTORE HOPE
in Somalia in 1993. He is believed to have supplied the weapons,
which shot down US helicopters. Four of his followers confessed to
the 1995 bombing of a Saudi National Guard building in Riyadh, which
killed five US soldiers and two Indians. He is suspected of financing
the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and the 1995 al-Khobar Towers
bombing.
- - A.K.As - Usama Bin Muhammad Bin Ladin, Shaykh Usama Bin Ladin, the
Prince, the Emir, Abu Abdallah, Mujahid, Shaykh, Hajj, the Director
- - Walks with a cane.
- - DoB - 1957 in Saudi Arabia; Hair: Brown; Eyes: Brown; Height:  6'
4" to 6' 6"; Complexion: Olive; Weight: Approximately 160 pounds;
Build: Thin
- - Bin Laden's force is believed to number around 3,000 fighters who
have fought in Somalia, Eritrea, Chechnya, Afghanistan, Bosnia,
Tajikistan, and Yemen. Shortly after the bombings, a US official was
quoted anonymously by CNN as saying, there was "a dispersement of
people away from bin Laden's bases of operation within Afghanistan in
the aftermath of the explosions." While the movement of bin Laden's
people is not a clear indication of responsibility, it does warrant
interest. His financial wealth is estimated to be between US$200-250
million.
- - Makes use of amateur radio networks for communications and has the
ability to hijack time on satellites for communications.
- - Is believed to have a close relationship with Sheik Abdel  Majid
Zandani, a Yemeni fundamentalist cleric who recruited Yemenis to
fight in Afghanistan and is now a leading figure in the country's
main opposition party.

Osama bin Laden - June 10, 1999 al-Jazeera Interview
On June 10, 1999, Qatar's al-Jazeera satellite news station aired an
interview with Osama bin Laden. During the course of the interview
bin Laden continually returned to the issue of the Western presence
in Arab countries. He said, "We want our land to be liberated from
the Americans. All beings have an instinct to fight against intruders
even the chickens or chicks have this instinct." He went on to say
that he is "trying to wake the people up to liberate the region from
the Jews and the West." Bin Laden said that despite the fact that the
US and the Mujahideen fought against a common enemy, the Soviets, in
Afghanistan that he "always hated the Americans because they are
against Muslims although they were supporting us=8A but not in the name
of God but rather to protect themselves. We didn't want the US
support in Afghanistan but we just happened to be fighting the same
enemy. Their support wasn't agreed upon." An editor from al-Quds, who
spent some time with bin Laden, said that bin Laden thinks he lived
more than he should have and he believes he should have died during
his Jihad or Holy War in Afghanistan. The editor said that you get a
sense of sorrow from bin Laden that he did not become a martyr
fighting the Soviets. He said bin Laden is living for his after life
not for his life here. When Osama bin Laden was asked whether he
distinguishes between men, women, children, and the elderly, he said,
"You say I am fighting against the American civilians. My enemy is
every American man who is fighting against me even by paying taxes."
Bin Laden equated the paying of taxes by Americans to be no different
than those that lift weapons against him. While not accepting
responsibility for the bombing of the US embassies in East Africa,
bin Laden did say that he admired those who carried them out. Despite
his denial of involvement he did comment on why the US Embassy in
Nairobi, Kenya was attacked. "The Embassy in Nairobi was responsible
for the killings of 13,000 Muslims in Somalia. The Muslims were
grilled like you would grill a sheep. Whenever a Muslim would defend
himself, they would always be blamed. There has been plans to divide
Sudan for a few decades now and all those plans are carried out by
the US Embassy in Nairobi which has the largest CIA station in the
area." He said the bombings against Americans were good because "we
want them to get a taste of what we have been tasting in Sabra and
Shatilla, Kana, and Deer Yassen."

Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed
- - Leader of the al-Muhajiroun and the Sharia Court.
- - Associate of Supporters of Sharia leader Abu Hamza
- - Has passed on threats from Osama Bin Laden's IIF
- - Has issued open letters to Osama bin Laden
- - Endorsed bin Laden's efforts in a declaration issued on November
20, 1999. The declaration was part of the Conference of Islamic
Revivalist Movements. Members of Hamas, Hezbollah, and Egyptian and
Algerian fundamentalist groups were present at the meeting.
- - London Press Association Report - March 9, 1996 - "In an interview
with the Observer newspaper, Omar Bakri Mohammed, the leader of the
al-Muhajiroun (the Emigrants) Party, pledged allegiance to the group
which has killed scores of Israelis in recent suicide bombings. He
said: "In Bosnia, Kashmir, Palestine,and Chechnya, all those areas
occupied by non-Muslim powers, we will support the struggle verbally,
financially, physically if we can. Muslims must know their duty to
support the jihad." Mohammed claimed that secret organizations to tap
funds and recruit fighters are already well-established in Britain,
but added: "It would not be wise to give details." My party is trying
to achieve an intellectual revolution so we must work overground.
Their work is underground." He said the role of his party was "to be
the eyes and ears and tongue of Hamas, which wants to establish an
Islamic state". To describe Hamas as a terrorist organization was, he
said, "an insult to Muslims who are struggling for a good cause".
- - DoB 1959 in Syria
- - Formerly the UK leader of the militant group Hizb-ut Tahir. Left to
found the al-Muhajiroun at the end of Jan. 1996. Runs the School of
Sharia in Tottenham, north of London (according to a 1996 report)
- - Al-Sharq al-Awsat - Jan. 19, 1999 - "He said that the interrogation
[by Scotland Yard] focused generally on what was published by The
Birmingham Post regarding the al-Muhajiroun Movement's dispatching
about 300 Muslim youths last year for training in military and
fedayeen actions and tank combat by the al-Ansar movement in Pakistan
and Afghanistan. Bakri added: "I explained to the Scotland Yard
officers that sending Muslim youths to train in combat actions has
nothing to do with Yemen or the mujahideen in Afghanistan. In fact it
comes under the individual duties imposed on every Muslim, including
the duty to prepare for combat. It is exactly the equivalent of
joining the regular armies in our Muslim countries." He categorically
denied financing the Muslim youths going to Pakistan and Afghanistan
from Britain.  He said: "The duty of preparation is like the duty of
pilgrimage; it is imposed on every capable adult, and he should use
his own money."

Supporters of Sharia
At a news conference in London on January 20, 1999, Abu Hamza
al-Masri, the leader of the London-based Supporters of Sharia
(Islamic law), warned that westerners should leave Yemen. He called
on "all Muslim groups to rise and join hands to free the Yemeni
people from the oppression of the Yemeni government." The cleric
admitted that both his son and stepson were being held by authorities
in Yemen but denied that his group had sent anyone to Yemen to
conduct acts of violence. "There is no direct connection with me. One
(of the people being held) is my stepson but I was not aware he was
in Yemen. I am not cooperating with these people. They have not gone
there with our permission or support," al-Masri said. He also said
that his news conference was intended to warn westerners of the
dangers in Yemen. "I would rather argue with you here and have you
stay safe than for you to go to Yemen and come back in a coffin," he
said.

Al-Masri is an Egyptian-born cleric who lost an eye and both hands
while fighting with the Mujahideen in Afghanistan. He and the
activities of his Supporters of Sharia group have been exposed to
considerable law enforcement and media attention since his son,
Kamal, and stepson, Ghailan, were detained by authorities in Yemen
along with four other Britons and two Algerians on terrorism charges.
In the wake of that arrest, al-Masri has made a number of
"threatening" statements to the media.

Speaking in a recent telephone interview Supporters of Sharia leader
Abu Hamza al Masri said he would urge his followers to strike back if
his son and stepson were found guilty of terrorism in Yemen. He said,
"When you find no ears to listen, then military action is permissible
by Islam." Abu Hamza made a similar threat in early May when
Aden-Abyan Islamic Army leader Abu Hassan was sentenced to death.

Abu Hamza is believed to have contact with Osama bin Laden and is
involved in a variety of fundamentalist activities, including the
running of a training camp for terrorist fighters.

Threats (as of 06/17/99)
The last major round of terrorist threats issued from Muslim militant
groups, some of whom are part of bin Laden's network, occurred during
the end of 1998 and beginning of 1999. On February 13, 1999, the
al-Hayat said it received a handwritten letter from the Armed Islamic
=46ront. In the letter, the group threatened to bomb the embassies of
the US, Britain, France, and five Arabic countries. The threat
specifically mentioned Europe as where the attacks would take place.
It said, "They are targets to bomb in all European capitals." The
attacks are to be carried out in retribution for "the muzzling of the
mouths and the imprisonment of (Muslim clerics), their displacement
and banishment and the domination and tyranny" against Muslims.

On December 18, 1998, the Egyptian Islamic Jihad and Vanguards of
Conquest issued a new threat, stating in part that the group will not
be "satisfied with the empty statements of condemnation that we are
used to hearing from (Arab) regimes. We say it loud and clear that we
will retaliate for what is happening to the sons of our nation in
Iraq. For the crimes committed by the US against our Islamic nation
will not pass without punishment." The statement was signed by the
Vanguards of Conquest's secretary general, Abduallah Mansour. It was
published in the al-Hayat on December 19. On December 21, an
anonymous caller to the al-Hayat said there would be attacks against
US interests and Kuwaiti embassies. Another threat from the Egyptian
Islamic Jihad was published in the al-Hayat on December 11. The
threat said in part, "Let the Americans know that we have resolved to
fight them in a severe and long, drawn-out battle to be passed on to
generations." While the Armed Islamic Front is a previously unheard
of group, it is likely to be associated to Osama bin Laden and the
core Egyptian terrorist groups. The letter fits with the current
threat situation and the apparent increasing attention being paid to
targets in Europe. The expansion of threats to other Arab countries
also fits recent trends. The Cairo office of al-Hayat is the frequent
recipient of threat letters and calls from associates of Osama bin
Laden and Egyptian terrorist groups.

UK Fundamentalist Conference (3rd)
- - Conference was held at the Friends House in Central London on May 21, 1999=
=2E
- - Follow-up conference to the one sponsored by al-Muhajiroun leader
Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed in 1998.
- - Reportedly issued a statement stressing that the Islamic nation's
principal problems lie in the absence of a caliphate, adding that the
establishment of an Islamic caliphate will remain the primary central
issue for Muslims all over the world.
- - Called for more rapprochement between the fundamentalist movements
and for focusing on the newborn Charter of Cooperation between the
fundamentalist groups which was to appear in the weeks following the
conference.
- - A invitation was distributed to attendees for a Sept. 19, 1999
conference focusing on uniting the fundamentalist organizations. The
conference was to be held at Albert Hall in London. The statement
said, "It is known that Islam does by necessity call on Muslims to be
brothers and urges them to support each other and not let each other
down. This duty in itself is at times a heavier one for Muslim
activists." It underlined the importance of appealing to the
fundamentalists to remove mutual non-confidence from their hearts and
tongues and abandon tribal, clannish, and partisan propensities.
- - Al-Muhajiroun leader Sheikh Omar Bakri Mohammed focused his speech
on the reason for the Islamic regimes' violence and backwardness.
Saying, "The Islamic movements will be in a predicament if they do
not unite their stands and forget their differences."
- - Supporters of Sharia leader Abu Hamza delivered a speech reportedly
entitled "Terrorism is the Solution."

Threats/Fatwas

Comments by Sheikh Omar Abd al-Rahman's attorney:
Comments by Sheikh Omar Abd al-Rahman's attorney, Muntasir al-Zayyat,
after a conference in support of the Sheikh in Egypt (The comments
were published in the April 25, 2001 edition of al-Hayat.):

"When the Jihad organization (which the Sheikh heads) found out that
the CIA was involved in the extradition of three of its people, from
Albania to Egypt, it decided to get involved in the bombings of the
US embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam. Therefore, once [the US]
harms a cleric at the level of Sheikh Abd Al-Rahman, the revenge will
be [accordingly] stronger and more violent and its impact wider...
[the Muslim world] will not allow the indefinite humiliation of a
cleric of the Al-Azhar institution, and the leader of the biggest
Muslim organization in the world. The Sheikh has a privileged
position not only within the Jihad organization, but also among all
the fundamentalist organizations around the world. Despite the fact
that the Sheikh's attorneys attempted to resolve the problem through
the courts, while the leaders of his organization Al-Gama'ah
Al-Islamiya practice restraint, it is inevitable that, as a revenge
for hurting the honorable Sheikh, one or a few of those who love the
Sheikh will turn to carrying out acts against American interests
around the world... We warn and warn... The US will reap a bitter
harvest if she continues humiliating Dr. Omar...the continuation of
the Sheikh's abuse may result in an explosion of events targeted
against US interests. Sheikh Omar has many followers."

TTM Note: Al-Zayyat excluded the possibility that attacks would occur
on Egyptian soil. Dr. Abd al-Halim Mansur, the head of Abd
al-Rahman's defense team, said the responsibility for the Sheikh's
life rested on US President George Bush and said that if any harm is
done to the Sheikh, "the consequences will be disastrous," according
to a report on the al-Hayat article issued by the Middle East Media
Research Institute (MEMRI).

BEGIN MESSAGE

Al Jum`a 15 Rajab 1421 (ah) - 13 October 2000 (ce)

Press Release Dated 13th October 2000

    THE MESSAGE FOR THE U.S. ARMY, EMBASSIES, BASES AND PLANES IS CLEAR:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
                    GET OUT OF MUSLIM LAND OR ELSE
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
           YOU ARE LEGITIMATE TARGETS FOR MUSLIMS WORLD-WIDE!!!

Appeal for supporting the Jihad in Palestine, Defending Al-Aqsa
Mosque &amp;  Celebrating the strike against the U.S. aggressors =96 At
Regents Park Mosque
=46riday 13th Oct from 2pm =96 5pm

The barbaric U.S. army who are occupying Muslim land with their
forces such as in Saudi Arabia and Iraq and who are actively
supporting the pirate state of Israel must leave Muslim land
immediately or face more strikes like the bombing of the American
warship in the Yemeni port of Aden yesterday.
The Islamic verdict on the occupation of foreign forces on Muslim
soil is clear, the perpetrators will be a legitimate target wherever
they are in the world. This is the clear message which the Mujahideen
wish to send to the murderer and liar Clinton and his co-conspirators
including Blair and Barak.

You support the fascist state of Israel but you should be aware that
it will definitely be liberated by Muslims and the hadith of the
Messenger Muhammad (saw) will be accomplished i.e. =93The hour will not
come until the Muslims fight the Jews and the Muslims kill them=94 no
matter how much time or
effort it takes. You have the choice of leaving peacefully or being
subject to attack at any time because of your violation of Muslim
honour, life and property.

Muslims will never forget about the history of violations committed
by Western regimes such as the U.S and Britain including the bombing
of Sudan and Afghanistan in September 1998 and the continued bombing
of Iraq. The army of Muhammad is rising and it is only a matter of
time before the infidels are routed and Islamic law is established
once again over Muslim land in the form of the Khilafah (i.e. the
Islamic State).

The U.S and its allies can never hope to defeat people who love death
the way they love this life, they can never hope to extinguish the
light of Islam which calls upon every Muslim to support the Jihad to
liberate Muslim land wherever it is, they can never hope to sleep at
night without fearing the Islamic Movements world-wide and the
inevitable rise of the giant at any time i.e. a world-wide Islamic
State and not a moment goes by without them wondering how the
soldiers of Allah will shake them next. It is only by their puppets
in Muslim lands such as Husni Mubarak and King Fahad that they  are
able to steal Muslim resources and maintain their hegemony over
Muslim land, keeping Muslims divided through their own disease of
nationalism. Verily the Messenger Muhammad (saw) said: =93The Muslims
are one unique Ummah among the whole of mankind, their land is one,
their war is one, their
peace is one and their honour is one and any one of them can
represent them all=94 and Allah (swt) says in the Qur=92an: =93And kill
them wherever you meet them and turn them out from where they have
turned you out=94 [EMQ 2: 191] and Allah (swt) says: =93If they seek your
support you must support them =94 [EMQ 8:72]. We call upon Muslims in
Britain to gather in their mosques today and
pray for the liberation of all Muslim land and the establishment of
the Khilafah. We call upon Muslims to fulfil their responsibilities
and to join us in demonstrating against the atrocities being
committed around the world by the Jews in Palestine, the U.S and the
British.

All are welcome outside Regents Park Mosque today from 2pm =96 5pm.

AL-MUHAJIROUN
The Voice, The Eyes &amp; The Ears of The Muslims

Tel: 0208 880 4628
=46ax: 0208 803 4541
Mobile: 07956 92 0006 or 07956 600 569 or 0956 950 124

END MESSAGE

Copyright 2001 Tempest Publishing - The WTG-IU cannot be reproduced
or redistributed in any format without express written permission
from Tempest Publishing/IntelCenter.

--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM