[iwar] re: terrorist piloting skills

From: David Alexander (david.alexander@bookham.com)
Date: 2001-09-12 06:48:10

To: 'iwar submissions' <iwar@yahoogroups.com>
From: David Alexander <david.alexander@bookham.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 14:48:10 +0100
Subject: [iwar] re: terrorist piloting skills

I know this is slightly off-subject, but in response to:

>I believe the terrorists had at least minimal piloting skills  within their
>teams. I do not think that any commercial line pilot could be forced into
>the actions taken today. I have been a professional pilot in part 135 and
>121 flight operations as well as an airport operations manager

Speaking as an ex military pilot, I feel qualified to comment. The level of
skill required could be gained on a modern PC flight simulator game such as
MS Flight Simulator.

Let's hypothesize:

1. Hijacker gains access to cockpit by whatever means.
2. Tells the pilot "this is a hijack, takes us to JFK and land, where we
will refuel and further instructions for next destination will be given".
3. Terrorist sits in 2nd seat in cockpit to 'make sure the pilot does as he
is told'
4. Pilot does the navigational work changes course and heads for JFK.
5. Once within sight of the World Trade Centre, the pilot is killed,
terrorist takes control at 2nd pilots seat.
6. Terrorist only has to use stick to steer into tower, possibly advances
throttle (a pretty intuitive control and we've all seen how it works in the
movies) to increase impact. As long as he knows where the autopilot cut-off
is, he can't be stopped.

I could very well be wrong, but it's perfectly possible.

just my 2c.

David Alexander M.INSTIS
Global Client-Server, Communications & Infrastructure Manager
Bookham Technology plc

DDI:     01235 837823
Mobile: 0779 988 1284
David.Alexander@Bookham.com

This e-mail is intended for the person it is addressed to only. The
information contained in it may be confidential and/or protected by
law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you must
not make any use of this information, or copy or show it to any
person. Please contact us immediately to tell us that you have
received this e-mail, and return the original to us. Any use,
forwarding, printing or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.

No part of this message can be considered a request for goods or
services.
Any questions about Bookham's E-Mail service should be directed to postmaster@bookham.com.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM