[iwar] [fc:We-Will-Help-Hunt-Down-Evil-Culprits,-Says-Blair]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-12 15:32:11

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:32:11 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:We-Will-Help-Hunt-Down-Evil-Culprits,-Says-Blair]

London Daily Telegraph
September 12, 2001
We Will Help Hunt Down Evil Culprits, Says Blair
By George Jones, Political Editor
Britain will stand "shoulder to shoulder" with America in seeking to find
and punish the perpetrators of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade
Centre and the Pentagon, Tony Blair vowed last night.
In a tense and emotional statement from 10 Downing Street, a clearly shocked
Mr Blair said mass terrorism was the "new evil in our world". He said there
were no adequate words of condemnation for those responsible for the
"barbarism".
"The people who perpetrated it have no regard whatever for the sanctity or
value of human life." After chairing an emergency meeting of the Cabinet's
Civil Contingencies Committee, known as Cobra, Mr Blair announced tighter
security measures in Britain, including a ban on civil planes flying over
London.
The Prime Minister rushed back to London yesterday afternoon to take charge
of the Government's response, cancelling his planned speech to the TUC
conference in Brighton.
The senior Cabinet ministers were summoned to No 10 to prepare contingency
plans against similar terrorist attacks against prominent public buildings
in Britain and overseas.
Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, David Blunkett, the Home Secretary, Geoff
Hoon, the Defence Secretary, and Adml Sir Michael Boyce, Chief of Defence
Staff, attended the emergency Cabinet meeting. Gordon Brown, the Chancellor,
was also present.
After the Cabinet meeting, Mr Blair, who saw the television pictures of the
second aircraft crashing into the World Trade Centre while in his hotel room
in Brighton, said it was not a battle between America and terrorism, but
between the free and democratic world and terrorism.
He said: "We therefore here in Britain stand shoulder to shoulder with our
American friends in this hour of tragedy and we, like them, will not rest
until this evil is driven from our world."
Mr Blair said ministers had ordered immediate measures to limit the risk of
similar attacks on British targets. Security would be stepped up at every
level across the country.
No flights would leave Britain unless maximum security could be guaranteed.
Aircraft would no longer be allowed to cross central London and private
flights would be permitted only with special authorisation.
Earlier, Mr Straw said the world had watched the television pictures from
America with "absolute horror". He said: "We in Britain have offered
whatever help we can to the American government to bring the perpetrators to
justice and I have passed my condolences to the US Secretary of State, Colin
Powell."
Downing Street officials said the Prime Minister had spoken to Chancellor
Gerhard Schroder of Germany and President Jacques Chirac of France about the
tragedy and planned to speak to President Bush at the earliest opportunity.
His decision to offer Britain's full support will have implications for
security for British citizens at home and abroad. Mr Blair said security had
been stepped up at British military bases around the world.
Business and financial institutions were being advised how to protect
themselves, the Prime Minister said. But while the new safeguards would
cause inconvenience, life in Britain would go on.
Mr Blair said: "Business and everyday life can continue as normal." William
Hague, the outgoing Conservative leader, said the attacks amounted to "an
act of war against civilisation".
Charles Kennedy, leader of the Liberal Democrats, said: "The international
democratic community must come together as never before to see down the
forces of sheer evil that perpetrate such crimes."
Dr George Carey, the Archbishop of Canterbury, called for prayer in response
to the attacks and said many churches would remain open for private prayer
and reflection.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM