[iwar] [fc:We-Must-Fight-This-War]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-12 15:38:20

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 15:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:We-Must-Fight-This-War]

Washington Post
September 12, 2001
We Must Fight This War
By Robert Kagan
Sept. 11, 2001 -- the date that will live in infamy, the day the post-Cold
War era ended, the day the world for Americans changed utterly. In the
coming days, as rescuers pick through the rubble in New York, in Washington,
in Pittsburgh and who knows where else across the besieged United States, as
the bodies of thousands of dead Americans are uncovered and as the rest of
us weep over the destruction of innocent human life, our friends and loved
ones, we may begin to hear analyses as to why this "tragedy" has befallen
us. There will no doubt be questions raised, sins of omission and commission
in the Middle East alluded to. Even yesterday, as the flames still burned,
the BBC opined that the attacks came because the United States had failed to
get a "grip" on the Middle East. Nothing in that is strange or odd. After
Pearl Harbor, almost exactly 60 years ago, there were those who argued, with
perhaps even more persuasiveness, that then, too, the United States had
somehow invited the Japanese attack. After all, had we not embargoed Japan's
vital oil supply?
One can only hope that America can respond to yesterday's monstrous attack
on American soil -- an attack far more awful than Pearl Harbor -- with the
same moral clarity and courage as our grandfathers did. Not by asking what
we have done to bring on the wrath of inhuman murderers. Not by figuring out
ways to reason with, or try to appease those who have spilled our blood. Not
by engaging in an extended legal effort to arraign, try and convict killers,
as if they were criminals and not warriors. But by doing the only thing we
now can do: Go to war with those who have launched this awful war against
us. Over the past few years there has been a nostalgic celebration of "The
Greatest Generation" -- the generation that fought for America and for
humanity in the Second World War. There's no need for nostalgia now. That
challenge is before us again. The question today is whether this generation
of Americans is made of the same stuff.
Please let us make no mistake this time: We are at war now. We have suffered
the first, devastating strike. Certainly, it is not the last. The only
question is whether we will now take this war seriously, as seriously as any
war we have ever fought, whether we will conduct it with the intensity and
perserverance it requires. Let's not be daunted by the mysterious and
partially hidden identity of our attackers. It will soon become obvious that
only a few terrorist organizations are capable of carrying out such a
massive and coordinated strike. We should pour the resources necessary into
a global effort to hunt them down and capture or kill them. It will become
apparent that those organizations could not have operated without the
assistance of some governments, governments with a long record of hostility
to the United States and an equally long record of support for terrorism. We
should now immediately begin building up our conventional military forces to
prepare for what will inevitably and rapidly escalate into confrontation and
quite possibly war with one or more of those powers. Congress, in fact,
should immediately declare war. It does not have to name a country. It can
declare war against those who have carried out yesterday's attack and
against any nations that may have lent their support. A declaration of war
would not be pure symbolism. It would be a sign of will and determination to
see this conflict through to a satisfactory conclusion no matter how long it
takes or how difficult the challenge.
Fortunately, with the Cold War over, there are no immediate threats around
the world to prevent us from concentrating our energies and resources on
fighting this war on international terrorism as we have never fought it
before.
The writer, a senior associate at the Carnegie Endowment for International
Peace, writes a monthly column for The Post.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/n7RbFC/zhwCAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM