[iwar] [fc:Middle-East-Split-Over-Attack-Reaction]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-13 13:10:30

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 13:10:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Middle-East-Split-Over-Attack-Reaction]

[Fc - I would put this firmly in the propaganda camp...]

London Times
September 13, 2001
Middle East Split Over Attack Reaction
By Stephen Farrell in Jerusalem
From horror to barely concealed glee, the people of the Middle East reacted
with divergent voices yesterday as they waited for the first evidence of who
carried out the attacks in the United States.
With the glaring exception of Iraq, all governments in the region were swift
to condemn the strikes and expressed condolences to the victims. Even Libya,
Syria and Sudan, who have been blacklisted by the US as states that
"sponsor" terrorism, expressed their disgust. Baghdad, however, maintained
the Iraqi regime's consistent policy of attacking the United States at every
opportunity. Feelings among the Iraqi public remain high over airstrikes
enforcing "no-fly" zones over Iraq and America's support of Israel.
"The American cowboy is reaping the fruits of his crimes against humanity.
It is a black day in the history of America, which is tasting the bitter
defeat of its crimes and disregard for peoples' will to lead a free, decent
life," one broadcast on state television said.
In Tripoli, by contrast, Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, the Libyan leader, shelved
his numerous clashes with successive Washington administrations, saying:
"Everyone should put human considerations above political differences . . .
and offer aid to the victims of this gruesome act".
In Syria the al-Thawra newspaper condemned the attacks as "terrorist" and
expressed sympathy to the American people, reflecting the tone of government
officials' reaction.
In Iran there was a marked divergence between the reformist President
Khatami's call for international action to stem terrorist attacks and the
tone of the Tehran Times, which concluded that the Bush Administration was
paying the price for its "blind support" of Israel.
In Egypt President Mubarak denounced the hijackings as "horrific beyond
imagination". Some ordinary Egyptians felt very differently, however,
despite the country's peace treaty with Israel. Samira Mohamed, 26, a
lawyer, said: "I was very happy when I heard the news. My happiness is based
on my utter rejection of the US treatment of the Middle East case."
In Jerusalem Azmi Bishara, an Arab Israeli member of the Knesset, said that
if the Bush Administration formulated a Middle East policy based on the
prevention of terrorism, it would focus on the symptom at the expense of
treating the underlying causes.
Many Arabs perceived that they were being marginalised, subject to
injustices and that the United States had acted with double standards in its
policies toward Iraq and Israel, he said. "If fighting terrorism becomes the
policy, this will produce only more terrorism."

Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM