[iwar] [fc:FBI-looking-to-Net-for-attack-clues.]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-13 18:46:40

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:46:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:FBI-looking-to-Net-for-attack-clues.]

FBI looking to Net for attack clues. Investigators serve search warrants
to major ISPs

Associated Press, 9/13/2001

WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 - The FBI is serving search warrants to major
Internet service providers in order to get information about an e-mail
address believed to be connected to Tuesday's terrorist attacks.

INVESTIGATORS visited the nation's top Internet access companies
Wednesday morning, company officials said. "They wanted to know what we
have on our network, and our logs about this (e-mail) address, if that
address has flowed through our network at any time," according to an
executive at Atlanta-based Earthlink, who spoke on condition of
anonymity. The executive said the e-mail address did not belong to
Earthlink, and that the company was told to expect more warrants as the
investigation continues. "They said they're going to all the ISPs," the
executive said.
America Online spokesman Andrew Weinstein said the company is
"cooperating fully and immediately with law enforcement agencies in
their investigations." Shannon Stubo of Yahoo!, which runs a Web-based
e-mail service, also said the company was cooperating fully. A spokesman
for Microsoft's Internet divisions would only say that the company
regularly works with law enforcement. The FBI would only say that it is
investigating the attacks vigorously throughout the United States.
Agents did not install the Carnivore e-mail surveillance device on
Earthlink's computers, but relied instead on Earthlink's own reports. In
the past, the company has gone to court to resist installing Carnivore.
Alison Bowman, a spokeswoman at cable Internet company ExciteAtHome,
said she was not aware of any warrants issued there but that the company
would cooperate with authorities. "We've always cooperated with the
authorities when they've asked us for information," Bowman said.

© 2001 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be
published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM