[iwar] [fc:Washington.Post:.Time.To.Use.The.Nuclear.Option]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-14 12:48:18

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 12:48:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Washington.Post:.Time.To.Use.The.Nuclear.Option]

Washington Times
September 14, 2001
Time To Use The Nuclear Option
By Thomas Woodrow
The time has come for the United States to make good on its past pledges
that it will use all military capabilities at its disposal to defend U.S.
soil by delivering nuclear strikes against the instigators and perpetrators
of the attacks against the nation's political capital and the nation's
financial capital.
At a bare minimum, tactical nuclear capabilites should be used against the
bin Laden camps in the desert of Afghanistan. To do less would be rightly
seen by the poisoned minds that orchestrated these attacks as cowardice on
the part of the United States and the current administration.
To consider use of the nation's nuclear forces, in the present
circumstances, cannot be brushed aside as an overly emotional response to
the unknown face of terrorism. To begin with, we know who that face belongs
to, and we know where a goodly portion of his logistical and training
capabilities are located. A series of low-level, tactical nuclear strikes in
the Afghanistan desert would pose no risk to large population centers and
would carry little risk of fallout spreading to populated areas.
Also, our nuclear capabilities were designed to include just such a mission,
and they are capable of fulfilling such a mission.
Lastly, the use of nuclear weapons against the bin Laden groups and his
supporters will rightly shock the world, but it will also shock those
nations that have been disposed for a variety of reasons to back the
terrorist groups with economic and political support. The United States
will, in effect, have raised the bar against future such acts from
occurring. If we, as a nation, show the willingness to use the ultimate
weapon in the current situation, there can be no doubt anywhere in the globe
that the United States will make good on its past pledges to defend its
sovereign territory with such weapons.
The attacks that occurred this week have been classified both as acts of war
and as a second Pearl Harbor, but these designations ennoble the acts in
Washington and New York. An act of war is constituted when one nation-state
uses military force against another. Pearl Harbor was used by Japan to
attack U.S. military targets to begin such an act of war. The bin Laden
groups are not nations or states, and they have primarily targeted civilian
populations. In fact, the use of so-called Islamic fundamentalist terrorism
on a global scale is a new phenomena, a product of the modern age. In
centuries past, civilized nations would conduct "punitive" expeditions
against pirate regimes, but those actions were strictly local in scope and
the protagonists could not approach the sophistication shown by the bin
Laden groups. As we have seen from such "punitive" actions by the previous
administration, those actions achieved next to nothing.
The fight against the bin Laden groups will be a fight to the death, and
this is another valid reason to make use of our nation's nuclear forces.
Unlike the more limited goals of wars between nations -- territory, formal
surrender, etc. -- bin Laden's goals are the elimination of the United
States as the global leader for progressive political, economic and cultural
change. Should, God forbid, the United States withdraw from the Middle East
and Persian Gulf, the terrorists will raise their sights to eliminate our
influence elswhere in the world. For a vision of what these groups see as
their ultimate objective, we need look no further than the Taliban regime in
Afghanistan, where women are beaten in the street for walking in public,
owners of television sets are sent to prison or shot and ancient Buddhist
monuments to universal peace and understanding are reduced to rubble.
No, the bin Laden groups must be exterminated completely before they become
more powerful in their efforts to exterminate us. We should use our nuclear
capabilities to help achieve this. We must, as a nation, take the firmest
action possible against this growing evil in the world, before its poison
spreads even further. If not the United States, who? If not now, under these
circumstances, when?
Thomas Woodrow, a 22-year veteran intelligence officer, resigned from the
Defense Intelligence Agency in May.

Secure all your Web servers now: Get your FREE Guide and learn to: DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION,
DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION, and More!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/k0k.gC/nT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM