[iwar] [fc:Terrorist.threat.shifts.priorities.in.online.rights.debate]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-17 16:15:38

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 16:15:38 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Terrorist.threat.shifts.priorities.in.online.rights.debate]

Terrorist threat shifts priorities in online rights debate

By Stefanie Olsen and Evan Hansen
Staff Writers, CNET News.com
September 17, 2001, 11:25 a.m. PT

Last week's terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon
marked a significant turning point in the debate over computer and Internet
privacy, giving new weight to calls for broader government surveillance
powers.

Law-enforcement agencies in recent months have found themselves on the
defensive over wiretapping and other intelligence-gathering technology,
with Congress and the courts increasingly backing demands for greater
accountability and restraint. But last week's terrorist assaults, the worst
in U.S. history, may have instantly reversed that trend.

Political leaders last week rushed to assure Americans that civil rights and
privacy laws would be upheld in the search for the perpetrators. Yet
proponents of strict limits on the powers of law enforcement could face a
powerful, lasting shift in public opinion over the balance of individual
rights and national security.

"The bottom line is that for now, privacy will take a backseat to security,"
said Larry Ponemon, chief executive of the Dallas-based Privacy Council, a
knowledge-management and technology company. "Because of (this) disaster,
people aren't worrying about giving up too much information as long as a
company is going to make the world a safer place."

Privacy advocates are concerned that government officials, swept up in an
emotional tide of fear and anger, will undo years of lobbying and education
in Washington and beyond. The Information Age has raised uniquely difficult
issues of nuance and sensitivity that could be dismissed in fervent calls
for public safety.

The rush to defend the country by any means necessary could clear the way
for a raft of controversial technologies, including Internet wiretaps,
global communications-monitoring systems, online video cameras, and
face-recognition and fingerprint-scanning devices. Some already have been
tested and released despite concerns over potential abuse.

On Thursday the Senate passed by voice vote an anti-terrorism bill that
includes an amendment allowing the government greater liberty to use
surveillance technology, including Internet wiretaps, to combat terrorism.
The amendment, authored by Sens. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., and Orrin Hatch, R-Utah,
broadens emergency powers for wiretaps, allowing any U.S. attorney to
authorize the installation of "trap and trace" equipment for up to 48 hours.

"At this juncture of our history it is essential that we give our law
enforcement authorities every possible tool to search out and bring to
justice those individuals who have brought such indiscriminate death into
our backyard," Hatch said, according to a transcript from the Senate
hearing.

On a separate front, a hard-fought battle that successfully loosened laws
banning the export of high-grade encryption products in the late 1990s could
be back on, thanks to a terrorism backlash. On Wednesday, Sen. Judd Gregg,
R-N.H., made a speech to fellow members of the U.S. Senate strongly urging
international cooperation among encryption software developers and the
government for technology that provides a backdoor for decoding by federal
investigators.

"The public is going to demand that the government have more ability to
conduct surveillance in order to monitor what dangerous people do," said
James Love, director of the Consumer Project on Technology. "That's one
thing we're going to see happening. But are there ways of dealing with these
issues that have any kinds of safeguards built in? What are the realities to
prevent the predictable abuses?"

Attorney General John Ashcroft said at a press conference Monday that the
Department of Justice will send a proposal to Congress in the next few days
asking for expanded rights to conduct computer and telephone wiretaps to
"identify, prevent and punish terrorism."

Among the proposals, the Justice Department seeks to change wiretap rules to
make it easier to track individuals. Currently, wiretap orders apply only to
a single telephone number. Ashcroft said that limitation makes it difficult
for investigators to monitor suspects who change phones frequently, citing
the emergence of disposable cell phones to illustrate the problem.

He added that although the Justice Department seeks additional
intelligence-gathering tools to conduct its terrorist investigations, it is
"mindful" of protecting the privacy of Americans.

Some congressional leaders have sought to reassure the public that
constitutional protections will be respected in the use of technology in
anti-terrorism measures.

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, urged
members of Congress last week to resist the temptation to abandon civil
liberties in the face of terrorist threats. Leahy also chairs the Senate
Democratic Task Force on Privacy, which was formed in January 2000 to
protect the privacy of Americans' medical and financial records and other
personal information.

"When the facts are in and the facts are clear, the Judiciary Committee will
look at law-enforcement surveillance capabilities and whether they are
adequate or need to be strengthened consistent with the constitutional
freedoms that are at the core of our national ideals," Leahy said in a
statement.

Nevertheless, such calls for calm contrasted with the appeals of others
eager to sacrifice the right to privacy--guaranteed under the Fourth
Amendment of the Constitution--for the promise of greater security. One CNET
News.com reader wrote: "If giving up my right to not have my e-mail read
could have saved this tragedy from happening, then I say, 'World, read my
mail.'"

Such public sentiment could fuel a political backlash at a sensitive time in
the privacy debate. Consumer advocates have recently begun to make inroads
with lawmakers, some of whom have started to seek more information about
government surveillance technologies.

Federal agencies have repeatedly defended the need for secrecy surrounding
details of their eavesdropping technology. But some members of Congress have
begun to grow impatient with apparent stonewalling by law enforcement about
such activities.

Chief among these is the FBI's Carnivore system, recently renamed DCS1000
for the sake of political palatability. Carnivore consists of specialized
eavesdropping hardware installed directly in commercial systems that link
consumers to the Internet, offering the ability to scan any e-mail that
travels over the network. Before installing the hardware, the FBI must
obtain a search warrant that may set a specific time frame for its use.

This summer, Rep. Dick Armey, R-Texas, sponsored a bill that would require
federal law-enforcement officials to be more forthright when answering
questions about Carnivore and other electronic surveillance systems.

In an opinion piece published in June, Rep. Bob Barr, R-Ga., blasted the
FBI's veil of secrecy over Carnivore in a demand for greater accountability.

"This computer system has the ability to sort through all e-mail
correspondence between law-abiding American citizens traveling over any
Internet service provider," he wrote. "To this day, and despite requests
made by Congress and public interest groups, the extent to which this system
has been used by the government remains unclear."

On Wednesday, however, his tone seemed decidedly less critical of the
government's investigative tactics.

"I call on my colleagues to join with me in taking real steps towards
untying the hands of our military and intelligence leaders so they are
allowed all means necessary to fight this war against terrorism," he said in
a statement. "We must give our government every tool at hand to combat those
persons who threaten and destroy American lives, and commit terrorist acts
across the world."

Armey and Barr were unavailable for interviews last week.

Barr has also led efforts to unveil details of another controversial system
known as Echelon, though the U.S. government has not even confirmed its
existence, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. The network is
supposedly shared by U.S., British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand
intelligence agencies, capturing communications from a variety of sources,
including satellite and undersea cable lines.

Company on alert for cyberterrorist activity
Bruce Murphy, CEO, Vigilinx
September 13, 2001 In an unprecedented move, the National Security Agency
last year invoked attorney-client privilege in blocking a congressional
inquiry seeking details about Echelon. President Clinton then signed
legislation requiring the NSA to report on the legal basis for Echelon and
similar activities.

The courts have also recently weighed in with significant rulings affecting
police surveillance powers. For example, a New York federal judge ordered
the FBI to provide details of computer keystroke technology used in an
investigation that led to the arrest of alleged mobster Nicodemo Scarfo.

Privacy advocates worry that momentum that had been tilting toward greater
disclosure and accountability will now shift in the opposite direction.

"The terrorist attacks will cause the widespread use of Carnivore and at the
very least an acknowledgment of the Echelon system," said Coralee Whitcomb,
president of Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility, a 20-year-old
public education group made up of computer scientists.

"The tragedy may soften our commitment to privacy as a public and allow for
these technologies, once they are in place, to stay in place afterward," she
said. "I can't think of anything that would better expedite the abuse of
this technology than what has just happened."

Professor Harold J. Krent, of the Illinois Institute of Technology's
Chicago-Kent College of Law, takes a longer view.

"We have a balance in this society to allow for security and freedom for
privacy. That balance changes in such an event," said Krent, who was part of
a team that assessed Carnivore.

"We are in a new cycle: We'll trade our privacy to be more collectively
secure," he added. "We saw this with the Oklahoma bombing and in the
Columbine shootings, where the government enacted zero-tolerance laws and
parental-responsibility laws that both restricted the freedom of some
schoolchildren. We'll see a similar cycle now."

Get VeriSign's FREE GUIDE: "Securing Your Web Site for Business." Learn about using SSL for serious online security. Click Here!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/LgMkJD/I56CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM