[iwar] [fc:Wireless.signals.from.WTC.helping.to.seek.victims]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-18 09:36:51

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 09:36:51 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Wireless.signals.from.WTC.helping.to.seek.victims]

WTC search yields wireless
By Reuters, 9/15/01

Technicians have confirmed that dozens of wireless signals have
originated from the wreckage of the World Trade Center since Tuesday's
attack as they deploy technologies in hopes of finding survivors,
officials said Saturday.

"We do have 50-plus open cases where we have had signals detected at
ground zero since the attack," said Kark Rauscher, who is heading up a
coalition of wireless companies helping look for survivors.

"We realize that we may be the only hope that some people have, so we're
going to do everything we can," said Rauscher, Lucent Technologies'
director of system reliability.

In one case, two people apparently trapped together in the wreckage have
placed separate calls, possibly with separate phones, although they have
not been heard from for at least the past day, he said.

The ad-hoc "wireless emergency response team," composed of technicians
from some of the major telecommunications companies, has begun searching
for activity on about 2,000 wireless phone numbers of people believed
trapped in the wreckage.

Although an active signal from a wireless device would not indicate that
its owner has survived the attack, it could help rescue crews focus on
air pockets and basement areas of the rubble where people may be huddled
awaiting rescue, a Federal Emergency Management Administration spokesman
said.

As wreckage is cleared away, the team hopes its "radio frequency
sniffers" will be able to pick up signals blocked by the tons of
concrete and steel.

Wireless numbers for people missing after Tuesday's attack can be
provided to BellSouth operators at (877) 348-8579. The numbers were
being passed along to rescue teams in New York.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption! Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your Web
site for Business" and learn all about serious security. Get it Now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/r0k.gC/oT7CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM