[iwar] [fc:Russian.Muslims.fear."Islamophobia".following.US.attacks]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-21 22:56:55

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:56:55 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Russian.Muslims.fear."Islamophobia".following.US.attacks]

Saturday, September 22 11:04 AM SGT

Russian Muslims fear "Islamophobia" following US attacks

MOSCOW, Sept 22 (AFP) -

Russia's 20 million Muslims are fearful their country will succumb to
"Islamophobia" thanks largely to the media, which, they claim, often
confound Islam and terrorism in their coverage of the September 11
attacks on the United States and the war in Chechnya.

"Islamophobia is developing in Russian media," mufti Nafigulla Ashirov,
head of Muslims living in Russia's Asian regions, said a week after the
attacks.

"From the first minutes of that tragedy, an unprecedented anti-Islamic
campaign was launched in Russia," Muslim lawmaker Abdul-Vakhed Niazov
said, accusing the Russian media of extensively covering anti-Islamic
comments offered by Israeli officials.

"Immediately after those attacks, police and security services visited
the majority of Islamic organisations based in Moscow," Ashirov said.

Russian Muslims found themselves under intense scrutiny by law
enforcement agents after blasts in Moscow in September 1999 which cost
some 300 lives and served as pretext to launch a new offensive against
Chechnya.

Since the beginning of the "anti-terrorist campaign" against the
breakaway republic in October 1999, people with non-Slavic looks have
been constantly subjected to identity checks and harrassment by police,
Ashirov claimed.

"We have already seen police throw Caucasian-looking people to the
ground and we are no longer afraid of that.  We fear it may worsen and
that massive persecutions of Muslims may begin," Ashirov said.

"Police officials think that if the (Afghanistan's extremist militia)
Taliban have attacked America, Chechens will soon attack Moscow," said
Suleiman Askhabov, 22, a Chechen student who came to Moscow's central
mosque for daily prayers.

"I was detained a few days ago in the street.  Police humiliate me
simply because I'm Chechen.  I have to pay them 500 rubles just so they
let me go," he complained.

"There are Muslims and there are terrorists.  Those are different
things, but the media confound the two and do it more often lately,"
Yuri, a 33-year-old Muslim, lamented.

"This hysteria in the television and newspapers already begins to affect
the society.  I sense a lot of hostility toward me, especially in state
institutions," 35-year-old Umar told AFP.

"Even after the Moscow blasts there (wasn't) such an anti-Islamic
hysteria," Ali Polossin, counsellor of Russia's Mufti Council, remarked.

Russian human rights groups have warned against "mixing up such
different things as international terrorism, fundamentalist Islam, the
Taliban, Chechen war, regimes in Iraq and Libya, and the Middle East
conflict."

Russia, which has dubbed its new offensive against Chechnya a fight
against terrorism, may see the US attacks as justification of its policy
toward the rebel province.

"We are particularly concerned about the temptation to use the events in
the United States to justify the use of force in Chechnya," former
dissident Sergei Kovalev and Yelena Bonner, widow of Nobel winner Andrei
Sakharov, said earlier.

"Accusing the whole Islamic world of terrorism is not a good attitude,"
head of Russia's communist party Gennady Zyuganov said recently, adding
that "one should not forget" Russia's multi-million Muslim population.

Of Russia's 145 million people, some 20 million are Muslim.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM