[iwar] The definition of terrorism

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-22 11:23:49

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 11:23:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] The definition of terrorism

> > I agree that these may be horrendous treatment, but they are not
> > 'terrorist' because they are carried out by an identifiable government
> > against targetted people.  That's just old fashioned opression and
> > abuse, not terrorism.
>
> > As an aside, the bible records many other instances of 'holy wars' as
> > does the Koran.  Today most of us we presume that these are lessons to
> > help us understand the need for peaceful settlement of differences, but
> > clearly there is historical evidence for lots of abuses by militaries of
> > all sorts.

[Ozair] :) Are you changing the definition of terrorist and terrorism?

I, for one, believe that this is a very important issue.  When we invoke
the term "terrorism" it may well mean different things to different
people.  Obviously if the US is going to war against 'terrorism' and has
no definition, they are generally going to war against anyone they want to.

Here are some examples:

If Terrorism is defined as:
	"the systematic use of violence and intimidation to achieve
	political ends [Collins Dictionary]"
then All nations have been terrorist since the beginning of time.

According to: Ayatullah Shaykh Muhammad 'Ali Taskhiri Vol V No.  1
(Muharram 1408 AH/1987 CE)
	"Terrorism is a term that has been much bandied about in recent
	times in the world media.  This paper was presented by the
	author, who is Director of the International Relations
	Department of the I.P.O., at the International Conference on
	Terrorism called by the Organization of the Islamic Conference,
	Geneva, from June 22-26, 1987.  It is an attempt to define
	terrorism and to put it in a broad perspective."
	(www.al-islam.org/al-tawhid/definition-terrorism.htm)

The DOD definition of terrorism is:
	"the calculated use of violence or the threat of violence to
	inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments
	or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally
	political, religious, or ideological."
	http://www.terrorism.com/terrorism/bpart1.html

1996 Patterns of Global Terrorism Report:

No one definition of terrorism has gained universal acceptance.  For the
purposes of this report, however, we have chosen the definition of
terrorism contained in Title 22 of the United States Code, Section
2656f(d).  That statute contains the following definitions:

   The term "terrorism" means premeditated, politically motivated
   violence perpetrated against noncombatant(1) targets by subnational
   groups or clandestine agents, usually intended to influence an audience.

--This communication is confidential to the parties it is intended to serve--
Fred Cohen		Fred Cohen & Associates.........tel/fax:925-454-0171
fc@all.net		The University of New Haven.....http://www.unhca.com/
http://all.net/		Sandia National Laboratories....tel:925-294-2087

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JNm9_D/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM