[iwar] [fc:Chicago."Think-Tank".Issues.Supplemental.Terrorism.Advisory]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-22 12:42:15

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 12:42:15 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Chicago."Think-Tank".Issues.Supplemental.Terrorism.Advisory]

22 Sep 2001 - 12:00CDT

Chicago "Think-Tank" Issues Supplemental Terrorism Advisory

Chicago, IL (EmergencyNet News) -- The Emergency Response &amp; Research
Institute (ERRI) today issued a supplemental terrorism advisory.  This
advisory includes both the continental United States (CONUS) and U.S.
facilities, military bases, embassies, and businesses that can be
associated with the United States in other countries (OCONUS).

ERRI's Sr.  National Security Analyst Clark Staten said, "ERRI's most
current assessment would suggest that there remains a significant threat
of 'follow-on' terrorist attacks directed against the United States or
her allies in the near term." "This analysis is based on the assumption
that additional terrorist cells, associated with those who undertook the
recent devastating attacks on the Pentagon in Washington, DC and the
World Trade Center in New York City, still remain in the United
States...and certainly exist in several other countries throughout the
world" Staten continued.

"Although it is believed that a number of alleged terrorist cells have
been disrupted by actions taken by local/county/state law enforcement,
the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and America's intelligence
services, our assessment would suggest that sufficient terrorist
elements still remain to undertake additional acts within the U.S.  or
against American interests abroad," Staten added.  "It is our belief
that this terrorist threat will also increase if/when U.S.  forces begin
to interdict and/or terminate terrorist forces during retaliatory
actions in the Middle-East, Asia, or other parts of the world," he
added.  "Taliban public threats of a world-wide 'jihad' or 'holy war'
serve to reinforce this concern," Staten added.

"We currently know of no specific plans, targets, or timeframes that are
of interest to these terrorist elements, but believe that it is their
intent to cause maximum chaos and fear within the United States...and
that they may view us as vulnerable at the present time," Staten said.
"We also believe that the terrorists and their sympathizers are also
using sophisticated misinformation and propaganda techniques in an
effort to amplify their acts, confuse the public about their intent,
and/or forestall military action against them," the veteran
counter-terrorism analyst added.  "Finally, given recent events, and a
believed terrorist intent to cause the maximum number of casualties
possible, we can not exclude the possible use of Weapons of Mass
Destruction in future terrorist attacks," Staten said.

ERRI analysts said that Americans can contribute to American "Homeland
Defense" measures by remaining calm, avoiding the impulse to spread
unconfirmed rumors, and to continue with their normal lives as much as
is possible.  "Although we all must suffer with our grief over the
tragic losses that we incurred on September 11th, the best thing that we
can do as a country is not to give in to despair or any sort of
panic...that is what the terrorists want...instead, we should strive to
achieve the greatest sense of normalcy possible and thus defeat their
fearful intent," Staten concluded.

This advisory is intended to urge additional preparedness, precaution,
and planning.  All Americans can rest assured that literally hundreds of
thousands of America's emergency service, intelligence, military, and
other government personnel are working 24 hours a day, seven days a
week, to help ensure the safety and security of America and her
citizens.

Emergency Response &amp; Research Institute EmergencyNet News Service
6348 N.  Milwaukee Ave.  #312 Chicago, IL 60646, USA 773-631-3774 -
Voice/Messages 773-631-4703 - Facsimile <a
href="mailto:webmaster@emergency.com?Subject=Re:%20(ai)%20"Think-Tank"%20Issues%20Supplemental%20Terrorism%20Advisory%2526In-Reply-To=%2526lt;NEBBJPACGLDPKCCMLOKDGEOFHGAA.sysop@emergency.com">webmaster@emergency.com</a>
- E-Mail http://www.emergency.com
- Main Webpage

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/JNm9_D/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM