[iwar] [fc:To.Defeat.Terror,.Send.In.the.Dirty.Dozen]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-23 16:22:03

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:To.Defeat.Terror,.Send.In.the.Dirty.Dozen]

To Defeat Terror, Send In the Dirty Dozen
George C. Wilson,
National Journal

To win the war against terrorism, what America really needs are Dirty
Dozen-type commando teams under direct White House control that can
secretly infiltrate Afghanistan and, for at least the next two years,
burrow in to learn the terrorists' routines.  Then, at the right moment,
the commandos can call in U.S.  bombers and ground forces to swoop in
and crush the fanatics.

This is the novel idea of a retired two-star general who formerly ran
the Army's John F.  Kennedy Special Warfare Center and commanded the
Green Berets.  Maj.  Gen.  James Guest, an unconventional warfare
expert, also told National Journal that President Bush should, at the
same time, hide other specially trained anti-terrorist teams within U.S.
Coast Guard outfits operating in global hot spots in the Pacific and
elsewhere.

Guest said it would take someone bold and cool, such as Vice President
Dick Cheney, to leap over today's hidebound military establishment and
organize and run the anti-terrorist teams.  There is not enough time,
Guest contended, to break the mind-set of today's conventionally trained
military leaders, who shrink from the dirty tactics required to win this
new no-holds-barred war against terrorists.  "When they see a Special
Forces fellow like me," Guest said of the generals and admirals who now
run the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps, "they see a tamed
terrorist."

They are repulsed by the philosophy and tactics he developed for
unconventional warfare, even though the United States is up against
fanatics who, in Afghanistan, skinned their Russian captives alive and
sent video cassettes of this torture home to the victims' families,
according to the general.  "If we lose this war," Guest said in calling
for action repugnant to the typical American military officer, "it will
be worse than losing World War II.  The terrorists don't think they can
occupy the United States.

What they think they can do is intimidate us until we get out of the
ball game.  What they really want to show the American people is that
you can't beat us, so you're going to have to come to terms that we
dictate.  And our terms are, you've got to get out of the Middle East."
It would be disastrous for the United States to withdraw from the rest
of the world, he said.  Asked what specific steps he would take if put
in charge of America's anti-terrorist efforts, Guest said he would go
ahead with the Pentagon's plans to deploy conventional forces to the
edge of Afghanistan with the idea of taking on Taliban forces on the
country's periphery.  But these visible operations by the 82nd Airborne,
10th Mountain divisions, and others would actually be cover for the more
important, stealthy missions being conducted inside Afghanistan.

To provide additional cover, Guest would have the Joint Special
Operations Command-which includes the Delta strike force; Rangers; Army
Task Force 160 Night Stalkers helicopter unit; and Air Force AC-130
gunships and helicopters- unleash attacks against terrorist groups and
"let them think we thought this was a great success.

But it would only be a cover" for the secretive commando teams.  The
hand-picked commando teams would be run from the White House by a
civilian steeped in unconventional operations.  The civilian would
report to Cheney, not the Joint Chiefs of Staff or the Defense
Secretary.  The secret fighters would know the language, customs, and
terrain of Afghanistan, and would possess quiet killing skills.  "I
think you could find volunteers within the Muslim community in the
United States and among Muslim resistance groups in Afghanistan," Guest
said.  The Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps all have Muslims with
the required backgrounds and skills.

The CIA might also find and hire team members from other countries, he
added.  To get the right operatives, Guest said, he wouldn't hesitate to
borrow a page from the script of The Dirty Dozen and use men who had
criminal backgrounds.  Team members would infiltrate Afghanistan
carrying no identification, but they would not be on suicide missions.

If done right, the former Green Beret contended, casualties on the team
could be kept to 20 percent and hopefully even 10 percent.  "My main
thing would be scouting out the ground in Afghanistan until I could say:
'I know all the trails.  I know the stops along the way.  I know where
the caves are.  I know how they're using them.  I know who is supporting
them.  I know it, and they don't know that I know it.' "

The teams would scatter sensors disguised as rocks along the roads and
trails used by terrorists.  Warplanes could hone in on them when the
time was right for an all-out strike.  Although conventional forces and
special operations units "could shoot up terrorists on the periphery" of
Afghanistan and other countries, "this is not going to win the war
against the terrorists.  We've got to take their sanctuary away from
them.  And the main sanctuary right now is Afghanistan.

And we might find out that parts of Pakistan were sanctuaries as well.
But we've got to find out.  I would never announce what we were doing."
After the stealth teams had spent the next two or three years piecing
together the locations and movements of terrorists inside Afghanistan,
"the real killing of terrorists would start" with conventional forces
hitting them with deadly accuracy.  Said Guest: "It would rip their
heart out."

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/XrFcOC/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM