[iwar] [fc:Jet.Returns.to.L.A..After.Alleged.Threat]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-28 13:19:46

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:19:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Jet.Returns.to.L.A..After.Alleged.Threat]

Jet Returns to L.A. After Alleged Threat

By ERICA WERNER
.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (Sept.  28) - A passenger allegedly uttered an anti-American
threat during a confrontation with flight attendants Thursday, prompting
an airliner to return to Los Angeles under escort by Air Force jet
fighters.

The FBI identified the passenger as Javid Naghani, an Iranian citizen in
the United States legally.  He was in custody Thursday evening, said FBI
spokesman Matt McLaughlin, and was expected to appear before a federal
magistrate Friday.  He was not immediately charged with a crime.

Authorities would not describe the threat.

''Shortly after departure a male passenger was apprehended smoking in
the lavatory,'' said Nicole Couture-Simard, spokeswoman for Air Canada
in Montreal.  ''The passenger became verbally abusive and uttered an
anti-American threat.''

The confrontation aboard Air Canada Flight 792 to Toronto was resolved
without further incident, and the plane landed safely less than an hour
after takeoff, authorities said.

Naghani was traveling on the Boeing 767 with a woman.  She was also
questioned but was not arrested, the FBI said.

Naghani's wife, Rosa Hinogos, told Los Angeles TV station KCAL Thursday
night that it was she who was traveling with him.

''My husband is not dangerous.  My husband is a businessman.  He has a
lot of employees,'' she said ''I didn't like the way they treated us,
like terrorists.''

A third man was being questioned as a material witness, said Nancy
Castles, an airport spokeswoman.

Couture-Simard said it was not necessary to restrain the passenger.

''The pilot elected to return to Los Angeles as a precautionary measure
only,'' she said.

There were 145 people on the plane, including a crew of seven, said
Nancy Castles, an airport spokeswoman.  The jet returned to the airport
around 1:15 p.m.  and passengers were booked on the next flight.

Two F-16s escorted the Air Canada flight into the airport, authorities
said.  Castles said the jets were likely responding to a Federal
Aviation Administration request after the pilot of the 767 described the
situation to the FAA.

The incident occurred as Gov.  Gray Davis was traveling to an airport
press conference on a shuttle bus.

''We were about five minutes out of Lot C when those two jets buzzed the
airport, so we knew something was up,'' said Davis, who announced a
call-up of National Guard troops to bolster security, then took a flight
to San Francisco to demonstrate confidence in air travel.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM