[iwar] [fc:Trojan.Horse.Disguised.as.Message.from.SecurityFocus.and.TrendMicro]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-09-30 22:26:46

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Trojan.Horse.Disguised.as.Message.from.SecurityFocus.and.TrendMicro]

It has come to our attention that a message claiming to come from
SecurityFocus' ARIS system and TrendMicro is being used to deliver what
looks like a trojan horse to unsuspecting users.  These messages do not
come from us or TrendMicro, as a quick check of the headers will reveal.

The messages come with an executable attachment named FIX_NIMDA.exe.  Do
*NOT* run this attachment.

The name is similar to the one used by TrendMicro for their free Nimda
removal tool (FIX_NIMDA.com).  To say the least we haven't ever sent out
any type of executable attachment claiming to be a fix to any worm or
vulnerability.  And we certainly don't end out email using the brain
dead multipart/alternative MIME type.

We are still trying to determine what the code does.  At first flag it
appears to include some type of zip file that when run creates a
directory with the called FIX_NIMDA, with the files FIX_NIMDA.exe,
readme.txt, SLIDE.DAT, and slide.exe.

The readme.txt file is copy of the file distributed by TrendMicro with
the their free Nimda disinfection tool.  The FIX_NIMDA.exe file is not
the same as TrendMicro's but it appears to attempt to deceive the user
by printout out some output that makes it appear like it working as
advertised.

Bellow you can find a sample of the fake message being used to transmit
this trojan.  If you have receive a similar message we would like to
hear from you.

Common sense and best practices indicates that you should not execute
any code that come via email unless you can authenticate the source of
the message.  Sadly, as previous worms make all to clear the will be
always people that do not follow safe computing practices.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM