Re: [iwar] [fc:Sen..Wyden.Proposes.Technology.Defense.Force]

From: Tony Bartoletti (azb@llnl.gov)
Date: 2001-10-01 11:41:17

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: Tony Bartoletti <azb@llnl.gov>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 11:41:17 -0700
Subject: Re: [iwar] [fc:Sen..Wyden.Proposes.Technology.Defense.Force]

The idea of a "Technology Defense Force", ready to set up adjunct capacity
in the event that major communication services are hit is attractive at
first blush, but I think it is targeting the wrong end of the problem.  The
criticality of these services calls first for extensive proactive measures.

Using the internet as an analogy:  Despite increasingly virulent worms and
viri (Code Red, Nimda ...) the internet is still up and running.  Why?  It
is massively distributed, and employs heterogeneous redundancy.  In the
wake of the WTC attacks, many large data-intensive companies are looking
for ways to ensure their "depth of operations" can absorb point-losses
without the loss of significant functionality.

It would be well to review all of our critical infrastructure (telecomm,
energy generation, etc) to see how the strengths of distributed
heterogeneous redundancy can be applied.

Willie Sutton explained that he robbed banks because "that's were the money
is".  Distribute the "money" to a thousand pockets, and the cost of robbing
it exceeds the expected return.

____tony____

At 03:44 PM 9/27/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Sen. Wyden Proposes Technology Defense Force
>By Robert MacMillan, Newsbytes, 9/27/2001
><a
>href="http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170581.html">http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/170581.html>
>
>Sen.  Ron Wyden, D-Ore., Wednesday proposed the formation of a "National
>Emergency Technology Guard" that would function as a National
>Guard-style information-technology defense force, comprising the
>nation's technology workers, in the event of a national crisis.  While
>he has not proposed legislation, Wyden intends to meet next week with
>representatives from several technology companies, and also has planned
>hearings in the Senate Commerce Subcommittee on Science, Technology and
>Space, which he chairs.  The list of representatives has not yet been
>issued.
>
>Wyden in a floor speech on Wednesday said that U.S.  IT companies could
>organize a "national volunteer response team" to protect the U.S.
>communications infrastructure "in times of critical need." The so-called
>NET Guard would use computer equipment, satellite dishes, wireless
>communications devices and other methods to "quickly recreate and repair
>compromised communications and technology infrastructures." "With
>congressional support, the leaders of our nation's technology companies
>could organize themselves, their employees, and their resources for this
>purpose," Wyden said.  "Medium- and small-sized businesses would be able
>to contribute once a national framework was put in place."

Tony Bartoletti 925-422-3881 <azb@llnl.gov>
Information Operations, Warfare and Assurance Center
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Livermore, CA 94551-9900

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM