[iwar] [fc:Worldwide.Caution.-.Public.Announcement]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-01 22:13:09

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 22:13:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Worldwide.Caution.-.Public.Announcement]

Worldwide Caution - Public Announcement
September 28, 2001

The U.S.  Government remains deeply concerned about the security of
Americans overseas.  Following the attacks on September 11, we have
continuing concern based on threatening rhetoric from extremist groups
and the potential for further terrorist actions against American
citizens and interests.  In this environment of increased tension and
concern, the Department urges Americans to review their circumstances
carefully and to take any measures they deem necessary to ensure their
personal safety.  The Department will continue to develop information
about potential threats to Americans overseas and to share with them
credible threat information through its Consular Information Program
documents.  These documents are readily available on the Internet at <a
href="http://travel.state.gov">http://travel.state.gov>.

As the U.S.  Government has reported in Public Announcements and Travel
Warnings over the last several months, U.S.  citizens and interests
abroad may be at increased risk of terrorist actions from extremist
groups.  In addition to information included in country-specific
documents, we recently advised that we had unconfirmed information that
terrorist actions may be taken against U.S.  military facilities and/or
establishments frequented by U.S.  military personnel in Korea and
Japan.  We also remain concerned about information we received in May
2001 that American citizens may be the target of a terrorist threat from
extremist groups with links to Usama Bin Ladin's Al-Qaida organization.
These individuals have not distinguished between official and civilian
targets.

In light of the above information, U.S.  Government facilities worldwide
remain at a heightened state of alert.  U.S.  Government facilities have
and will continue to temporarily close or suspend public services, as
necessary, to review their security posture and ensure its adequacy.  In
those instances, U.S.  Missions will make every effort to provide
emergency services to American citizens.

U.S.  citizens planning to travel abroad should consult the Department
of State's Public Announcements, Travel Warnings, Consular Information
Sheets, and regional travel brochures, all of which are available at the
Consular Affairs Internet web site at <a
href="http://travel.state.gov">http://travel.state.gov>.  American
citizens overseas may contact the American Citizens Services unit of the
nearest U.S.  Embassy or Consulate for up-to-date information on
security conditions.  American citizens in need of emergency assistance
should telephone the nearest U.S.  Embassy or Consulate before visiting
there.

In addition to information on the Internet, U.S.  travelers may hear
recorded information by calling the Department of State in Washington,
D.C.  at 202-647-5225 from their touch-tone telephone, or receive
information by automated telefax by dialing 202-647-3000 from their fax
machine.

This Public Announcement supersedes the Public Announcement - Worldwide
Caution of September 12, 2001, to inform U.S.  citizens of our continued
concern about safety and security overseas in light of the events of
September 11.  This Public Announcement expires on January 9, 2002.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM