[iwar] [fc:Attacks.Won't.Change.Military's.Focus]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-02 05:23:58

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 05:23:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Attacks.Won't.Change.Military's.Focus]

New Orleans Times-Picayune
September 30, 2001
Attacks Won't Change Military's Focus
Nature of new threats driven home, though
By Paul Purpura, West Bank bureau/The Times-Picayune

The Defense Department's plans to transform the military from a Cold
War-era force designed to fight the Soviet Union and two regional
conflicts to one that protects the nation against new adversaries will
not be sidelined by the Sept.  11 terrorist attacks, the civilian head
of the Navy Department said Thursday.

However, the terrorist attacks do show military leaders that threats to
the United States have taken a new form since hijackers overtook
commercial airliners and plowed them into the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon.  "We're certainly in a different arena in terms of combat in
the future and the events of Sept.  11," Secretary of the Navy Gordon
England said.  "There is certainly a different kind of threat that we
now have to be prepared for.  We will continue to transform our military
.  .  .  to protect and defend the United States against all types of
threats, both conventional and asymmetrical."

England, who assumed his appointed position in May, arrived in New
Orleans on Wednesday to tour the headquarters for the Naval Reserve
Forces and Marine Forces Reserve, both located at the Naval Support
Activity's east bank facilities.  Early Thursday, he boarded a Louisiana
National Guard HH-60 Blackhawk helicopter that took him on a tour of
Northrop Grumman's Avondale Shipyards, which builds an array of naval
ships.  His visit, which includes tours of naval facilities along the
Gulf Coast, was scheduled before Sept.  11.

After the Cold War

The current armed forces were trained to fight the Soviet Union.  But
after the Soviet Union fell, the military focused on a strategy of
fighting two regional wars at the same time.  Now it's seeking to
transform itself to fight an array of threats, from conventional war to
terrorists using weapons of mass destruction or attacks on computer
systems.  The military is developing new warfare technology and newer
strategies.  It has also sparked a reduction in the military's size,
with the cost savings being invested in new weapons, and a greater
reliance on Reserve and National Guard forces.  The evolving Navy has
shifted its focus from combat on the open seas to coastal warfare.  In
keeping with the new strategy, the Quadrennial Defense Review, a
congressionally required analysis of the armed forces structure and
strategy, reportedly is seeking to eliminate the Navy's plans for a
stealthy class of destroyers, the Elmo Zumwalt class DD 21 land attack
destroyer.

"We will continue with our efficiency efforts," England said.  "In our
view, efficiency is effectiveness.  The more efficient we are, the more
effective we are as a military force.  It is an obligation we have, and
we will continue to press for efficiency in the armed services." Praise
for area

England also lauded Louisiana and the New Orleans area for their support
of the Navy and Marine Corps, saying such support is valuable.  "I know
that our Navy and our Marines are important in this community, but I
want you to know that the community is also very, very important to us,"
he said.  "We like to be in an area where people like us.  I can tell
you we get terrific support from this area."

England was nominated for the post by President Bush in April and became
the 72nd secretary of the Navy in May.  He is a former engineer who
worked on the Gemini space program and later served as president and
executive vice president of General Dynamics, which ranks among the top
five defense contractors.  As naval secretary, England oversees the
Navy, the Marine Corps and their reservists, all of which he said are
ready to protect the nation.  As of Wednesday, the Navy, which has
orders for 3,000 reservists, had called about 1,720 people, including
500 who primarily are augmenting domestic security and law enforcement
operations.  The Marine Corps, which is authorized to call up to 7,500
of its reservists, had called 191 on Friday.  "This is a time of great
need for the nation, and our reserves are a very, very important
component of our naval forces, both Navy and Marines," England said.
"So we appreciate the great efforts of our reservists, and we appreciate
the fact that in this time they'll leave their families to join our
forces to protect and defend the United States."

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM