[iwar] [fc:Companies.rethink.Net.privacy.after.attacks]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-02 19:57:35

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 19:57:35 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Companies.rethink.Net.privacy.after.attacks]

Companies rethink Net privacy after attacks

By Stefanie Olsen
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
October 2, 2001, 4:00 a.m. PT

Companies are scrambling to ensure their online privacy policies do not
run afoul of the sprawling investigation into last month's terrorist
attacks, a move that could prompt some to rewrite their published
statements, privacy experts said.

Most online privacy policies contain provisions for sharing customer
information with law enforcement agencies in the event of a criminal
investigation or suspected illegal activity.  Nevertheless, some
companies that have been cooperating with authorities investigating the
Sept.  11 suicide hijackings that destroyed the World Trade Center and
damaged the Pentagon are now reviewing their actions for possible
privacy violations, according to people familiar with their concerns.

A key issue, privacy advocates say, has come from companies that worry
they may have gone too far in handing over complete databases to law
enforcement in the immediate aftershocks of the attacks without
requiring a court order or a subpoena.

"I've never seen a privacy policy that says that we will make all of our
records available to authorities in a case of national emergency, and I
think as a result of this, you're probably going to see companies adjust
their privacy policies to take this into consideration," said Ray
Everett-Church, senior privacy strategist at the Los Angeles-based
ePrivacy Group.

While companies typically require a warrant or a court order before
relinquishing the contents of e-mail or electronic files to federal
authorities or in civil cases--procedures mandated under the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act--Internet companies can provide information
about consumer identities without a court order.

Many major companies have legal departments to handle such requests.
But in the aftermath of the terrorist attacks, some companies may have
ignored normal procedures for working with law enforcement, privacy
experts said.

Larry Ponemon, CEO of the Dallas-based Privacy Council and former head
of PricewaterhouseCoopers' privacy practice, said he's spoken with some
companies that admitted giving over their databases to authorities
wholesale, without a valid court order or subpoena.  He declined to
disclose the names of the companies but said consumers may soon begin
receiving notifications and apologies informing them of possible privacy
violations.

"In some cases, trying to participate and cooperate with authorities led
to the other extreme of actually violating all the privacy rights of
customers and employees," said Ponemon.  "It's scary.  We have no
assurances they are going to delete (this information).  Are they going
to return it? Are they going to make any warranty that they won't use it
again?"

Legal experts said that the risks of liability in such cases are small.

"Suppression of evidence would be the most serious consequence of the
government obtaining information in violation of privacy rights," said
Dave Kramer, a partner in the Internet counseling group at Wilson
Sonsini.  "The likelihood of there being financial consequences...is
limited."

In the event that the FBI obtained information from a company without
probable cause and a search warrant, the evidence would most likely be
inadmissible in court under Fourth Amendment rights, lawyers say.  But
if the company volunteered the data, particularly in the event the act
did not contradict its privacy policy, the evidence would be acceptable.

Nevertheless, some companies seem to be taking precautions in their
cooperation with authorities.

Dave Steer of Truste, a company that vouches for Internet privacy
policies, said his company is getting calls from members inquiring about
the need to revise their policies after the attacks.

"Members are asking, 'Does what happened impact our privacy policy, and
does that change the way we should communicate to customers?' (Also),
'How do we insert a clause into the privacy statement that allows for
such national incidents?'"