[iwar] [fc:Senate.Hits.Snag.on.Terror.Laws]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-03 13:10:25

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 13:10:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Senate.Hits.Snag.on.Terror.Laws]

Senate Hits Snag on Terror Laws

By Jesse J. Holland
Associated Press Writer
Tuesday, Oct. 2, 2001; 7:16 p.m. EDT

WASHINGTON ญญ Senate and Justice Department negotiators failed on
Tuesday to reach a final compromise on the Bush administration's
anti-terrorism package, one day after House leaders announced their
package was ready for passage.

Attorney General John Ashcroft and Republicans immediately turned up the
pressure on Senate Democrats and Senate Judiciary Chairman Patrick
Leahy, D-Vt.

"I'm deeply concerned about the rather slow pace," Ashcroft told
reporters at the Capitol, flanked by GOP Sens.  Orrin Hatch of Utah,
Trent Lott of Mississippi and Richard Shelby of Alabama.

Hatch, the top Republican on the Judiciary Committee, said if there
wasn't a compromise deal by Friday, he would introduce Ashcroft's
language verbatim and senators would have to fight it out in committee
and on the floor.

"I don't care how we do it, I just want it done," Hatch said.  "It's
always nice to go through the committee, but if we aren't going to get
it done, I think we ought to go to the floor with it."

Ashcroft proposed new terrorism laws in the wake of the Sept.  11
attacks by hijacked airliners on the World Trade Center and the
Pentagon, and he and President Bush have prodded Congress to act.  But
some of his proposals sparked opposition from liberals and conservatives
alike who said they would infringe on civil liberties.

Senate Democrats say they probably would have had a deal Tuesday if the
White House had not backed out of an agreement on sharing normally
secret grand jury information with intelligence agencies, federal
officials and law enforcement officials.

"We were literally within two or three hours of wrapping up the package
and this morning the attorney general told me that apparently last night
the White House changed its mind," Leahy said.

Most of the other provisions of the bill are close to being complete,
Leahy said.

"If we go back to what the White House agreed to, I suspect we're a
matter of hours away before we can give a package to (Senate Majority
Leader Thomas) Daschle and Senator Lott," Leahy said.

The House Judiciary Committee already has introduced a compromise
package agreed to by the chambers' Republicans and Democrats, and
expects to send that bill to the full House on Wednesday.

But in a setback for the administration, many of the key provisions of
the bill would expire in little more than two years, on Dec.  31, 2003.
House Republicans said they were happy with the expiration date.

"Most people are quite comforted by the two-year sunset and are aware
these are difficult times," House Republican Leader Dick Armey of Texas
said.  "If we have that, we have a chance to review."

But Hatch said he wouldn't accept a date for the legislation to expire.

Ashcroft refused to answer questions about the House bill.

Hatch said there were several other areas where there aren't agreements
yet, including sharing of terrorism information between intelligence
agencies and law enforcement officials.

But other agreements have been made, senators said.  Bush told lawmakers
during a breakfast meeting Tuesday morning that he wants a money
laundering provision added to the bill, "so we're going to work" toward
doing that, Daschle said.

ญญญ

The House bill number is HR 2975.