[iwar] RE: NASA Urged to Join Fight Against Terrorism

From: Leo, Ross (Ross.Leo@csoconline.com)
Date: 2001-10-04 13:40:47

To: "Abbey, George" <George.Abbey.jr@csoconline.com>
From: "Leo, Ross" <Ross.Leo@csoconline.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:40:47 -0500
Subject: [iwar] RE: NASA Urged to Join Fight Against Terrorism

First, the opinion stated herein reflects my own personal opinion, and is
not made on behalf of my company, nor is it endorsed by my company or its
officers.

I believe that NASA, blessed as it is with the technology it possesses,
should contribute to the national effort against terrorism.  I also believe
that NASA should be cautious in how it makes that contribution.  The
civilian space agency has as its goals the advancement of American interests
and research in space and other arenas.  It is by its very nature and
organization a scientific research organization.  And despite its vast
experience with remote sensing, miniaturization, and remote observation of
celestial and terrestrial bodies, It is not by any measure an
intelligence-gathering agent; at least not in the sense that an espionage or
law-enforcement agency is.

Some will think this is a prime opportunity for the NASA budget to be
augmented with "other monies", especially given that NASA itself is
struggling with budget issues even as we speak.  Any such monies would not
address these issues, and would most likely come with strings attached
regarding how such monies would be applied.  In short, this would not be a
"get well plan".  Nor should it be - responsible budget management should be
a fundamental part of any governance process, with "bail-outs coming only to
address truly extraordinary circumstances.

In the final analysis, I believe the primary mission of all government
agencies (military and civilian) is to support the policies of the US
Government in peacetime and in war.  I don't think however it is either
prudent or useful to apply the resources of an agency not organized and
focused as an intelligence or law-enforcement in such ways because of the
paradigm-shift necessary.  The NASA mission is structured around programs
that require years to plan and execute, and to re-direct the agencies
resources (to any significant level) in support of anti-terrorist activity
will take too much time, and face too much organizational inertia to
overcome at a time when speed is of the essence.

NASA, I am sure, supports the current Government posture, and will do
whatever it is called upon to do.  I just think we need to assess carefully
what the best use of NASA's potential contribution is, and employ it as
truly makes sense and adds value to this fight.

Ross A. Leo

Ross A. Leo, CISSP, CBCP

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM