[iwar] [fc:BBC.News.|.SOUTH.ASIA.|.Musharraf.firm.as.protests.erupt]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-08 07:10:53

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:10:53 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:BBC.News.|.SOUTH.ASIA.|.Musharraf.firm.as.protests.erupt]

BBC News | SOUTH ASIA | Musharraf firm as protests erupt
Low GraphicsMonday, 8 October, 2001, 08:27 GMT 09:27 UK
Musharraf firm as protests erupt

Protestors in Karachi shout "Death to America"

Protests against the air strikes in Afghanistan broke out in two
Pakistani cities as President Pervez Musharraf tried to reassure
Pakistanis that the military action in Afghanistan would be "short" and
"targeted".  As General Musharraf held his first news conference since
air strikes were launched against Afghanistan, several thousand angry
protestors held demonstrations in Quetta and Peshawar.  Security was
tight and police fired automatic weapons and tear gas to disperse
protestors in Quetta, where there were reports of burning buildings.

We tried to bring moderation to the Taleban government...  We tried our
utmost but unfortunately it was not possible to prevent the conclusion
that happened last night

President Pervez Musharraf General Musharraf, visibly nervous as he
began his press conference, said "the vast majority" of Pakistanis
backed his government's decision to support the US-led strikes.  On
Sunday, he had removed two pro-Taleban Pakistani generals from key
positions in a military reshuffle announced just before the strikes
began.  He said that "extremists" inside Pakistan were seeking to create
agitation but he was sure the situation could be controlled.
Afghanistan not the target With fears of a backlash against the Pakistan
Government in the event of civilian casualties, General Musharraf
stressed that it was not a war against Afghanistan.  He said attacks
were being directed against "terrorist camps" near Afghan cities and not
the cities themselves.

Security is tight in Pakistani cities

"I have got definite assurances that this operation will be short," General Musharraf said.
"It ought to be targeted and also it should not be having collateral damage."
The Taleban, the Pakistani leader said, had been given every chance to avoid being attacked, but they had not handed over Osama Bin Laden.
"We tried to bring moderation to the Taleban government," General Musharraf said.
"We tried our utmost but unfortunately it was not possible to prevent the conclusion that happened last night."

Pakistan's role

General Musharraf said that Pakistan, as the only country to maintain
diplomatic relations with the Taleban, could act as a channel of
communication.  Pakistan had previously interacted with the Taleban "in
best national interest and in best international interest", he said.  He
said Pakistan had offered its support to the US-led coalition and he had
been informed in advance of the strikes.  Pakistani airspace had been
used but not Pakistani territory, he confirmed.  President Musharraf
urged a massive rehabilitation effort after the strikes to help
Afghanistan rebuild its infrastructure and achieve a stable, broad-based
multi-ethnic government.  But, he warned, Afghanistan's anti-Taleban
Northern Alliance should not be given a chance to take advantage of the
US-led strikes.  He recalled the furious infighting which followed the
Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan, which he described as a time of
"anarchy and atrocities".  "The Northern Alliance must be kept in check
so that we don't return to the period of anarchy," he said.  Root causes
The Pakistani leader said that the international community would
eventually have to address "the roots of terrorism".  "The root lies in
all the sense of deprivation, the sense of powerlessness, going around
the world wherever there are disputes around the world and they're not
being settled," he said.  General Musharraf did not mention any specific
conflicts such as those between Israel and the Palestinians.  But
analysts said it was clear he was referring to the main grievances
repeatedly mentioned by Osama Bin Laden and his supporters to justify
the Sep 11 attacks in the United States.  WATCH/LISTEN

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM