[iwar] [fc:Palestinians.reject.link.to.bin.Laden]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-08 07:14:44

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:14:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Palestinians.reject.link.to.bin.Laden]

Palestinians reject link to bin Laden
New Zealand Herald

08.10.2001 11.11 am

Senior officials around Yasser Arafat are scrambling to assure the
United States that they oppose Osama bin Laden, and vehemently reject
the Saudi dissident's statements -contained in his first videotaped
statement since 11 September - linking his cause with that of the
Palestinians.

"We have nothing to do with the man, and we absolutely do not condone
anything that he has done," said Samir Rantissi, a senior adviser to the
Palestinian Information Ministry, who passed on a message from Mr Arafat
through US diplomatic channels to Washington expressing full support for
the US military action, and disassociating the Palestinians from bin
Laden.  He said the message expressed "full and outright" support for
the Americans.  In comments broadcast this morning (NZ time), bin Laden
said that he "swore to God" that the United States will not live in
peace until peace reigns in Palestine - coupling his movement explicitly
with the Palestinian conflict with Israel, an issue that has to date
been seen as comparatively low on his lists of grievances against the
West.

These remarks will play into the hands of Israel's Ariel Sharon, who has
sought to couple the Palestinians with bin Laden's atrocities, by
arguing that attacks by guerrillas and suicide bombers on Israel are
terrorism, and that all terrorism is the same.  Mr Sharon has described
Mr Arafat as "Israel's bin Laden".

Palestinian officials were struggling to counter this.  "We are a
legitimate liberation movement which is opposing an occupation," Mr
Rantissi told The Independent, "We have nothing against the American
people, or against the West.  We deplore the actions carried out on 11
September.  Bin Laden is trying to use us, and we cannot allow that to
happen."

Dr Hanan Ashrawi, a senior Palestinian legislator, said: "The
Palestinian cause can be very easily hijacked and used, because it is a
clear expression of real injustice.  That's why we must do something now
to solve it."

Mr Arafat held back from public comment - mindful, no doubt, that
anti-American sentiments run high on the streets of Gaza and the West
Bank, which will now be stoked by today's American and British bombing
raids.  But sources close to the Palestinian leader said that he was
deeply concerned about bin Laden's speech.

Chief among his worries will be the impact bin Laden's remarks will have
on public opinion in the United States.  Before 11 September, President
Bush was reluctant to get closely involved in the conflict, but he
became engaged afterwards, pressing both sides to end the violence so
that it would not enflame Muslim opinion on the streets while the US was
carrying out its attacks.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM