[iwar] [fc:At.U.S..Request,.Networks.Agree.to.Edit.Future.bin.Laden.Tapes]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-13 01:44:20

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:44:20 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:At.U.S..Request,.Networks.Agree.to.Edit.Future.bin.Laden.Tapes]

At U.S. Request, Networks Agree to Edit Future bin Laden Tapes
By BILL CARTER and FELICITY BARRINGER
The five major television news organizations reached a joint agreement
yesterday to follow the suggestion of the White House and abridge any
future videotaped statements from Osama bin Laden or his followers to
remove language the government considers inflammatory.
The decision, the first time in memory that the networks had agreed to a
joint arrangement to limit their prospective news coverage, was described
by one network executive as a "patriotic" decision that grew out of a
conference call between the nation's top television news executives and the
White House national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice, yesterday morning.
[...]

Wednesday October 10 10:48 AM ET
Terror Statement May Hold Secret Msg.
WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State Colin Powell cautioned on
Wednesday that the statements made by Osama bin Laden's terrorist
organization and broadcast on televisions around the world may
contain ``some kind of message.''
[...]

[...]
Q So that type of censorship is not under consideration? I mean, you're
saying this is a war and in previous wars there has been censorship. You're
saying that
type of thing is not now under consideration at the White House?
MR. FLEISCHER: Keith, that is not censorship. This is a request to the
media, and the media makes their own decisions. And I think a reasonable
request.
Q No, you said that you're not in a position to demand. In effect, this
government is in a position to demand if it wants. Are you guys considering
--
MR. FLEISCHER: Okay. If you're asking the legal questions about prior
restraint,
we haven't gotten -- that's not been discussed.
Q It's not a legal question. We're asking if real censorship -- I understand
this is just a request -- we're asking if real censorship is under
consideration, demands and not requests.
MR. FLEISCHER: No, there's nothing that I'm aware of like that. This is why
I'm telling you what Dr. Rice did, because I think you have a right to
know. It was a request, and I've shared with you what she did.
[...]
Q Ari, two things. First, you said that it's tough to get information out
of Afghanistan right now. By that, are you suggesting that bin Laden and
the Taliban -- or bin Laden's network has lost the ability to use the
Internet, for instance, or to pick up a satellite cell phone and use that?
Secondly, unrelated question. The Vice President's whereabouts we still
don't know anything about.
What kind of a signal does that send to the American people and to the
world,
both about his safety and, frankly, about the President's safety?
MR. FLEISCHER: On the first point, about the ability of Osama bin Laden and
his
followers to communicate from Afghanistan, I think the most accurate way to
say
it is they face certain challenges in communicating out of their country,
right
now.
[...]

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM