[iwar] [fc:Experts.warn.of.combo.terrorist.assault,.cyber.attack]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-13 01:50:28

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:50:28 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Experts.warn.of.combo.terrorist.assault,.cyber.attack]

Experts warn of combo terrorist assault, cyber attack

Cnn, 10/11/2001

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Computer experts want Congress to imagine a terrorist
assault that combines the massive destruction of September 11 with a
simultaneous cyber-attack.

In testimony prepared for a House hearing Wednesday, a witness raised
chilling "what if" scenarios as experts called for a crash research
effort to protect critical computer systems.

"What if the terrorists were also able to impact our communications
system, thus hampering the rescue and recovery efforts?" asked Terry
Benzel, a vice president of Network Associates Inc.  in Santa Clara,
California.  "What if the attackers were able to compromise systems
monitoring the water supply for Manhattan? What if power to parts of the
northeast corridor could have been brought down through a cyber-attack
on key systems? We must prepare now to prevent this from happening." The
chairman of the House Science Committee, Rep.  Sherwood Boehlert, R-New
York, said that while computer networks are vulnerable to criminal and
terrorist attacks, research and development on computer security has not
kept pace with the threat.

"To put it simply, we need more people to be doing more creative
thinking about computer security.  That's what our adversaries are
doing," Boehlert said.

Computer networks now are critical to electric power, natural gas,
petroleum production and distribution, telecommunications,
transportation, water supplies, banking and finance and emergency
services.

A science committee background paper said many experts believe only 45
to 75 researchers in the nation have the experience to conduct
cutting-edge research in computer security.

Benzel, whose company is a leading supplier of network security, said
the most alarming scenario is a combined physical and cyber attack that
brings "cascading disruptions on a regional, national or international
scale."

An attack on the air traffic control network could reduce the ability to
track off-course airplanes.  A chemical weapons attack could be combined
with an assault on computerized water supply control systems, Benzel
said.

Benzel proposed unprecedented sharing of computer security information
between industry and government.

She suggested that the new Homeland Security office, headed by former
Pennsylvania Gov.  Tom Ridge, make computer security part of the
nation's defense against terrorism.

Federal agencies also need adequate funds to research new ways to
protect critical computer networks, she said.

Dr.  Eugene Spafford, professor of computer sciences at Purdue
University, said computer systems were designed for speed or price, with
litt le concern for security.

"Security cannot be easily or adequately added on after-the-fact and
this greatly complicates our overall mission," he said.  "The software
and hardware being deployed today has been designed by individuals with
little or no security training, using unsafe methods, and then poorly
tested."

Copyright 2001 The Associated Press.  All rights reserved.  This
material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM