[iwar] [fc:Refugees.back.Taliban's.casualty.figures.claim]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-13 19:50:34

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:50:34 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Refugees.back.Taliban's.casualty.figures.claim]

Refugees back Taliban's casualty figures claim
By Alex Spillius in Islamabad and Imtiaz Ali Khan in Peshawar,
Telegraph, Oct 13, 2001

CIVILIANS fleeing Afghanistan yesterday reported mass burials of bombing
victims in and around the eastern city of Jalalabad, supporting claims
by the Taliban of major casualties and extensive damage to property.

The refugees' accounts are the first provided by sources independent of
the Taliban.  The Taliban are so confident that their embassy in
Pakistan yesterday issued its first media visas since the September 11
attacks.

The allies have repeatedly stressed that the bombings are aimed not at
the Afghan people, but at Osama bin Laden and the Taliban, who are
harbouring him.

The Islamic regime said last night that at least 200 people died in the
village of Karam.  Earlier in the day, a spokesman for the ruling
militia told the Pakistan-based Afghan Islamic Press: "So far 160 bodies
have been recovered, mostly women and children.  This is not an
exaggeration.  More bodies are still being recovered."

An Afghan journalist who arrived in the Pakistani border city of
Peshawar on Thursday said about 40 of the 60 mud and brick houses in
Karam had been flattened by missiles and bombs.

Danish Karwakhel, a reporter for Wahadat, a Pakistani Pashto-language
newspaper, who lives in Kabul, said: "People were digging through rubble
with shovels or with their hands looking for bodies and looking for
their belongings.

"I was on my way from Kabul to the border and walked to the village.  I
arrived at about 2pm and there were mass funerals going on.  I saw many
bodies in coffins.  Eight people were being buried here, five there, it
was a very emotional scene.

"So many people were crying.  There were hundreds of people who had come
from surrounding villages to help carry the bodies, dig graves and
attend the funerals.  Local people said 100 people had died and many
were missing."

The village, surrounded by rice and wheat fields and orange trees, lies
in a valley close to what locals said was an abandoned camp of bin
Laden's al-Qa'eda network.

An official with the Taliban's Bakhtar news agency in Jalalabad said
body parts, household belongings and at least one unexploded bomb
littered the countryside around the village.  There were also "horrific"
injuries.

Sher Sha Hamdard said after visiting the village: "I hate to say this,
but I'm glad I saw these things because the world has to know what the
Americans have done here."

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM