[iwar] [fc:Phone.hub.security.sought]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-15 17:19:40

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 17:19:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Phone.hub.security.sought]

Phone hub security sought
By Andrew Backover, USA TODAY10/15/2001

NEW YORK - Saying terrorist attacks against telecommunications hubs
could shut down banks, broadcasters and financial markets, Verizon
Communications wants tougher security in phone-equipment buildings.  "If
you really want to create panic, take down the telecommunications
facilities," says Larry Babbio, vice chairman of Verizon, the USA's No.
1 local phone company.  Verizon has told Federal Communications
Commission Chairman Michael Powell of its concerns.  And the FCC, which
regulates the issue, is encouraging companies to come forward with
proposals, it says.  Babbio raised the issue Thursday, while touring one
32-story telecom hub, which was severely damaged in the World Trade
Center attacks.  It is one of the USA's most critical communications
facilities.

Since Sept.  11, Verizon has been scrambling to restore service for
customers served by the office.

That includes 300,000 voice lines, including a large number of Wall
Street firms.  It also has 4.4 million data circuits, which are used by
banks, for instance, to transmit financial information.  Broadcasters
use them for links between studios and transmitters.

The nation's four regional Bell companies have thousands of such sites
nationwide.  While Verizon says dozens of buildings in major cities
would need to be damaged to create a communications meltdown, terrorism
prompts new security concerns.

"We do have all sorts of people who put things in our buildings," Babbio
says.

Many smaller phone firms use these hubs because they want to be close to
Verizon's lines, which federal law says they can use to reach customers.
Verizon issues identification badges to those companies' workers, which
allows them into parts of the building.  Federal rules say Verizon
cannot subject those employees to greater scrutiny than its own workers.
John Windhausen of the Association for Local Telecommunications Services
says the hubs need better protection.  But he would oppose any move that
puts onerous rules on Bell rivals only.

"We're not the security threat," says Jason Oxman, assistant general
counsel of Covad Communications, a seller of high-speed Internet
service.  "Our concern is they may be focusing their energies in the
wrong direction."