Re: [iwar] Saudi Arabia Unhappy with US Raids

From: e.r. (fastflyer28@yahoo.com)
Date: 2001-10-17 12:34:48

To: iwar@yahoogroups.com
From: "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:34:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [iwar] Saudi Arabia Unhappy with US Raids

one more point-it is clear they have agreed to most of our basing and
assistnace given their strategic position in the region.  It has and
now more so does put them in a very bad position with their neighboors.

--- "e.r." <fastflyer28@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The "House of Saud" has told the US that they know they live in a
> tough
> neighborhoor and we helped them during the Gulf War, but have asked
> the
> US to let them handle their own problems now.
> --- yangyun@metacrawler.com wrote:
> > Monday October 15 3:06 PM ET
> >
> > Saudi Arabia Unhappy with U.S. Raids on Afghanistan
> > By Mariam Isa
> >
> > RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (Reuters) - U.S. ally Saudi Arabia said it was
>
> > unhappy about the bombing of Afghanistan, sending the clearest
> signal
> >
> > yet that its relations with Washington are being tested by the war
> on
> >
> > terrorism.
> >
> > Interior Minister Prince Naif broke Saudi silence on the bombing
> late
> > on
> > Sunday, telling reporters the kingdom opposed terrorism but did not
>
> > approve of the U.S. response.
> >
> > ``We wish the United States had been able to flush out the
> terrorists
> > in
> > Afghanistan without resorting to the current action ... because
> this
> > is
> > killing innocent people,'' he said.
> >
> > ``We are not at all happy with the situation. This in no way means
> we
> >
> > are not willing to confront terrorism,'' he said in remarks
> reported
> > by the
> > official Saudi Press Agency.
> >
> > In response, State Department spokesman Philip Reeker said the
> > United States was very satisfied with Saudi cooperation.
> >
> > ``They've agreed to everything we've asked of them in our campaign
> > against terrorism,'' Reeker added.
> >
> > Analysts said Prince Naif's public disapproval confirmed the
> > 50-year-old
> > strategic alliance between the world's largest industrial power and
> > the
> > world's largest oil supplier had come under stress since the air
> > raids
> > began a week ago.
> >
> > ``It's unbelievable the way the feeling here has changed from
> > sympathy
> > to anger in such a short time,'' a Western analyst based in Riyadh
> > said.
> >
> > ``More sensitive and astute decision-making on both sides is
> required
> >
> > to handle a relationship which has become extremely difficult to
> > manage. Every aspect of it is under pressure.''
> >
> > Saudi Arabia, which sees itself as the world's principal advocate
> of
> > pure
> > Islam, has condemned the Sept. 11 attacks which killed nearly 5,400
>
> > people but has remained sensitive to widespread public anger over
> > casualties in Muslim Afghanistan.
> >
> > Riyadh said early on it would not allow attacks on Afghanistan to
> [...]
http://personals.yahoo.com

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM