[iwar] [fc:Va..Governor.Touts.State.As.Cyber-Terrorism.Model]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-18 08:50:47

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 08:50:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Va..Governor.Touts.State.As.Cyber-Terrorism.Model]

Va. Governor Touts State As Cyber-Terrorism Model
By Liza Porteus, National Journal, 10/18/2001

A national anti-terrorism plan should combine federal, state and local
strategy, and Virginia's work in that regard could be a model in
preparing for potential cyber attacks, Virginia Gov. James Gilmore told
the House Science Committee on Wednesday.  Gilmore heads the Gilmore
Commission -- a panel mandated by Congress to recommend ways to protect
the nation from weapons of mass destruction, including cyber threats.
The commission has expedited the release of its third and final report
-- originally slated for release in December -- in the wake of the Sept.
11 terrorist attacks. A commission member told National Journal's
Technology Daily that the recommendations likely will be issued Friday. The Bush administration's creation this week of the President's Critical
Infrastructure Board to prevent disruptions of critical infrastructure
is a "critical first step," Gilmore said, but "a national strategy is a
federal, state and local strategy all combined."  Gilmore has particular
interest in the issue because more than 50 percent of the country's
Internet traffic flows through one section of northern Virginia alone.
The Old Dominion also houses the highest concentration of critical data
centers, with businesses such as America Online, Global Crossing,
VeriSign and WorldCom located in the state.  Gilmore directed Virginia
Technology Secretary Donald Upson to work with the federal Critical
Infrastructure Assurance Office (CIAO). CIAO Director John Tritak and
Upson, members of the Virginia General Assembly and the Virginia
attorney general are developing a plan that could serve as a blueprint
for a national strategy, Gilmore said.  "All states need a plan like
this, and the plan needs to be woven into a national network," he said. Virginia also is protecting the state's computers by deploying "highly
sensitive software" to protect against e-mail viruses, Gilmore said. On
Tuesday, the state launched a pilot project to secure e-mail in the
offices of Gilmore, his Cabinet and the state police.  Gilmore stressed
that private industry and tech companies "must answer this call to arms"
to work together on such initiatives. He also emphasized the need for
all states to reinstate their Y2K preparation offices to use as
permanent cyber-security offices.  "I can't even tell you today if we
had a threat there [with Y2K], but we have a threat now, and we shut
down those offices," Gilmore said.  Rep. Vernon Ehlers, R-Mich., said
the Gilmore Commission's recommendations are "the best summary of an
action outline that I've seen since I've been here." He suggested that
the committee add in its recommendations that hackers face the same
penalties as terrorists.  Committee Chairman Sherwood Boehlert, R-N.Y.,
noted that a hearing on cyber terrorism earlier this month highlighted
shortcomings in the nation's computer systems. "We are not working on
legislation to try to address those shortcomings," he said.  Boehlert
said another hearing will be held in two weeks to look at communications
problems facing emergency personnel because of the lack of interoperable
equipment.  The question-and-answer session of the hearing was postponed
so the area could undergo a full sweep after staffers and police were
exposed to anthrax in or around the office of Senate Minority Leader
Thomas Daschle, D-S.D.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM