[iwar] [fc:Russia.'can't.allow'.U.S..to.widen.war.to.Iraq]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-18 22:00:29

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:00:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Russia.'can't.allow'.U.S..to.widen.war.to.Iraq]

Russia 'can't allow' U.S. to widen war to Iraq

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Friday, October 5, 2001

MOSCOW ‹ Russia has already signalled its opposition to a U.S.
offensive against Iran and Iraq.

Russian officials said Moscow would help Washington with the war on
terrorism.  But they said President Vladimir Putin would not allow the
regime of Iraqi President Saddam Hussein or Iran to become a U.S.
target in such a war.

Moscow has sent weapons and troops to help the opposition Northern
Alliance overthrow the Taliban regime in Afghanistan.  Russia has also
agreed to U.S.  troops and combat planes in neighboring Uzbekistan,
Middle East Newsline reported.

Both Iran and Iraq are on the U.S.  State Department list of terrorist
sponsors.  The Bush administration has been engaged in a debate over
making Iraq a target in Washington's war on terrorism.

Moscow has indicated that this is where it would draw the line.  Russia
has emerged as an ally of both Baghdad and Teheran.

"We can't allow the United States to wield its club the way it wants,"
Col.  Sergei Goncharov, a leading Russian military analyst, said.  "We
are on good terms with Iran.  We have tremendous economic investments in
and expectations of Iraq.  We can't afford to sever all these ties in
one stroke.  I foresee a major debate along these lines."

Arab diplomatic sources said Moscow has relayed assurances to Washington
that it will oppose a strike against Iraq.

But Goncharov said Moscow might not oppose a surgical strike on Iraq
should Washington bring proof that Saddam was involved in the Sept.  11
Islamic suicide attacks on New York and Washington.

"It's quite obvious: if there is proof that, say, Iraq harbors
terrorists, then action is fair," Goncharov said.  "But if they want to
start carpet bombings, like in Yugoslavia, and then see what happens, it
can't be allowed."

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM