[iwar] [fc:Five.Thoughts.About.Information.Security]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-18 22:06:21

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 22:06:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Five.Thoughts.About.Information.Security]

Five Thoughts About Information Security
By Daniel J. Horgan, Richard M. Smith, IDG Net, 10/18/2001

September 26, 2001 - In the wake of the September 11 terrorist attack on
New York and Washington, and in the midst of increasing concern about a
potential attack on computer networks, corporations are reviewing the
security of private information, and legislators are proposing new laws
that give the government greater access to private information.  We
spoke about these developments with Richard M.  Smith, CTO of the
Privacy Foundation, a non-profit research organization based in Denver,
Colo., that studies technology's influence on privacy.

How, in general, has the terrorism of September 11 changed the business
of e-security?

Organizations are going to beef up security all the way around.
Certainly, network security is going to be one area that they're going
to be looking at.  There is a lot of concern around a "Digital Pearl
Harbor," the idea that someone could attack the U.S.  through its
computer networks.  There is very little evidence that this is going on,
but they are still concerned about it and will want to guard against it.
In addition to the heightened security we see at airports and public
events, what new security guidelines should an organization put in place
to protect its private information?

I expect companies to beef up their physical security, to do things like
putting access cards on their buildings and using biometrics, but in
terms of protecting information that a company has, that is matter of
making sure that the networks coming into the company are protected.
We've just seen with the Nimda virus how difficult it is to secure a Web
server that uses Microsoft software because that worm tried everything
under the sun.  It's important to understand what software you are
running on your servers and to keep up with the patches from vendors.
As for firewalls, that gets into running intrusion detection software
from the outside to see if you can get into your own networks.  A lot of
attacks now are possible through e-mail.  Webpages and e-mail messages
sail right through firewalls and most protection schemes, with the
exception of virus protection software that runs on your e-mail server
and strips off potentially dangerous attachments.  Frankly, I think we
need view it as socially unacceptable to send executables in e-mails.
What about user awareness? What can be done to increase that?

That has always been a tough one.  Two and half years ago, when we had
the Melissa virus, everybody supposedly knew that you were not supposed
to click on file attachments from people you didn't know.  Those were
the rules.  Then the rule changed to not open attachments even from
people you know.  The problem is that a lot of security decisions are
made by people who do this all day long and who understand the threat,
but when you talk to the average user about what you're supposed to do
and how you are supposed to get patches, it sounds to them like mumbo
jumbo.  I really think that the software that people run on their
desktop computers should be more inherently safe and not rely on user
education.  Do you have a problem with Congress' proposals to enact laws
that will put backdoors on data encryption software?

There are a lot of problems with this proposal.  One is that it won't
make a hill of beans of difference right now.  It's like saying we need
to paint the fighter jets, but yet we need them to go to war and it
really doesn't matter what color the paint is.  It seems like a total
distraction because even if the laws change it is going to take years
for the software to be updated to meet this law.  Another problem is
that the old software won't go away so the terrorists could always use
the old software that doesn't have a backdoor.

Do some laws that have been proposed violate the privacy rights of the
online user, or should national security interests take precedence over
the right to privacy?

Anytime you have a wartime situation the laws change and put
restrictions on what we are able to do.  It's not too surprising that we
will have some measures put in place that are intrusive in our daily
lives.  Whether it is freedom or privacy or just inconvenience, most
people will understand that that is an acceptable thing.  The real
danger is that they want to extend the way wiretapping works,
particularly in the Internet arena.  They are trying to slide it by in
this time of crisis and we'll have to live with it for five, ten or
twenty years.  I'd rather see them think this through a little better.

I don't think national security interests can trump privacy interests or
vice versa.  When talking about privacy we should remember that much of
what we do is recorded in some way, which all started with the the
credit card.  Nowadays we see paper trails of where we went on the Web,
when we used our cell phones, when we use the highway with the EZ Pass
system, when we use the ATM, and so on.  So a tremendous amount of our
lives is being recorded by computers and video surveillance equipment,
which is the bad news.  The good news is that most of that info has so
far been used for services, and only sparingly by police.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM