[iwar] [fc:Information.Warrior.Experiment]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-19 21:01:23

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:01:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Information.Warrior.Experiment]

OKINAWA, Japan -- Marines from L Company, 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine
Regiment, assigned to 3rd Marine Division as part of the Unit Deployment
Program, assaulted an opposing force as part of a three-week experiment
with the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory.

The concept being evaluated is the Information Warrior, a rifleman with
an AN/PRC-148 radio for communication with the platoon commander,
platoon sergeant and each squad leader.  The goals are to determine both
the value of adding an information warrior as well as the utility of
adding the radio to the current equipment list for the infantry.

The lab is experimenting with putting more radios at the lower echelon
of the platoon to better communicate, according to Randy Gangle from the
Marine Corps Warfighting Lab.

"This experiment will seek to improve overall decision making, maneuver
and combat effectiveness through improved situational awareness," Gangle
added.  "The Warfighting Lab will seek to determine if the inclusion of
personnel dedicated to observing, recording and the passing and
receiving of information at the squad and platoon level will enhance
decision making and operational effectiveness in the infantry platoon."

The experiment basically takes a rifleman, gives him the radio and adds
to his main mission.  He still carries a rifle, Gangle said.  But he
just has a little more to do.

"Small unit leaders at the company level and below have three primary
functions: self-protection, decision making for the employment of their
unit and communicating with lower, higher and adjacent units," added
Gangle, a retired Marine colonel.  "With all these competing demands, it
is the third element, communication, that is often most neglected.  This
in turn leads to a reduction in overall situational awareness throughout
the unit at all levels." Cpl.  Oscar Rauda, squad leader, L Co., 3rd
Bn., 4th Marines, believed the information warrior would help the squad
leaders move their team more accurately.

"As a squad leader you're mostly in the fiight and maneuvering your team
leaders, which means the more information that's given to you, the
better aware of the situation you are, and what's going on at all
times," he said.  "I think with the equipment we have right now, all the
information coming from higher up makes you a better leader.  It gives
you better control of the mission." Throughout the experiment, surveys
and observations were gathered from the squads and data was collected to
make the final decision.?

The last day of the experiment, the assault on the opposing forces,
brought everything together while the Warfighting Lab observed.

"Personally, I liked the program that we did," said Cpl.  Bobby Cosper,
squad leader, L Co., 3rd Bn., 4th Marines.  "I think the stuff we used
out here is going to improve the infantry a lot in the future."

Okinawa was chosen for this experiment because of the terrain found on
the island.  It has semi-open, urban and jungle terrain.  Okinawa is the
only site in the Department of Defense with jungle terrain available for
training and experimentation.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM