[iwar] [fc:MI5.wanted.me.to.escape,.claims.cleric]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-22 06:45:47

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:MI5.wanted.me.to.escape,.claims.cleric]

                MI5 wanted me to escape, claims cleric

         Antony Barnett, Martin Bright and Nick Paton-Walsh
                       Sunday October 21, 2001
                             The Observer

 The London-based Islamic cleric Abu Qatada, accused by America of
being a key member of Osama bin Laden's network, claims British
security services offered him a chance to escape to Afghanistan.
Abu Qatada, whose Bolton bank account was frozen last week when he was
named on a US list of suspected terrorists, told The Observer that MI5
approached intermediaries to offer him a passport and an Iranian visa
so he could leave the country.
Home Office sources last night confirmed that the presence of Abu
Qatada was 'of deep concern' to the British intelligence service. But
they admitted there was not enough hard evidence to bring charges
against him. The authorities cannot deport him to Jordan because the
country still has the the death penalty.
The Palestinian-born cleric, who has been living in west London on
benefits since he was granted political asylum in 1993, refused the
offer of escape. 'I do not trust this government,' he said. 'If I get
on a plane, I am afraid I will be shot or handed over to the
Jordanians, the Egyptians or the Saudis.' The Home Office refused to
comment on Abu Qatada's claim.
Last week, the cleric, who is wanted in Jordan for an alleged role in
a series of bombings, said he 'respected' bin Laden. 'He is a Muslim
and he seeks to liberate his land from the enemies of the Muslim
nation.' But the cleric told The Observer this weekend: 'I was never
part of al-Qaeda or any other group. This is all part of a campaign of
lies being spread by the media and the security services.'
Intelligence sources in Pakistan claim, however, to have proof that
Abu Qatada is consulted by al-Qaeda. They allege that a pamphlet he
wrote on 'holy war' was commissioned by them to help resolve a dispute
with another extreme terror group, Takfir-wal-Hirja. The cleric denies
this.
Fears about radical Islamic clerics living in Britain were further
raised by an Observer investigation into a suspected cell based in
Leicester. It has emerged that a second Islamic cleric, Libyan Abu
Abdullah, had close ties with French-Algerians now under arrest for
plotting to blow up the US embassy in Paris.
Abu Abdullah, a preacher at the Mosque of Piety in north-east
Leicester, was a spiritual mentor to Djamal Beghal, suspected
ringleader of terrorist cells across Europe. Beghal's chief
lieutenant, Kamel Daoudi, was arrested in Leicester days after 11
September. Daoudi claims he met Abu Abdullah in Leicester in March.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM