[iwar] [fc:Foreign.Media.Wage."Information.Attack"]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-22 06:58:16

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:58:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Foreign.Media.Wage."Information.Attack"]

Foreign Media Wage "Information Attack"
Uzbekistan, October 22, 2001 [ 07:51 ]
, Khalq Sozi

TASHKENT.  Since the beginning of the US-led military operation in
Afghanistan, Uzbekistan has suffered malicious reporting by some foreign
media, "sowing panic among people", the Uzbek Khalq Sozi newspaper
suggested on 20 October.  Journalists are being paid to wage an
"information war" in the media against Uzbekistan, it said, while in
reality the situation is perfectly calm.  The following are excerpts
from the report, entitled "A Country with Peaceful Borders" by Qurbon
Eshmatov.

It is several days since some Afghan towns where international
terrorists have built their defensive facilities started being bombed by
US aircraft.

Calm

Uzbekistan is a country with dignity.  It has its own place to occupy,
its own words to pronounce and its own policy to pursue.  That is why
its influence is growing every year.  Naturally, its friends are happy
with this, and ill-wishers are not.  Ill-wishers see that [Uzbek] people
are living and working in peace and conducting their festivities.  They
[Uzbek people] are honouring their famous figures.  They are supporting
each other in both good and bad times.  There are those who cannot see
this.  Ill-wishers have attempted many times to attack this fortress
[Uzbekistan], whose friendliness is strong.  They have failed.  After
this, they have invented a new form of sabotage.  This is an information
attack being launched on Uzbekistan.

Sowing panic

Every country approaches major politics proceeding from its own
interests and point of view.  In particular, independent Uzbekistan is
entering modern politics with its own views.  It has started to clearly
pronounce its ideas, be it about economic cooperation or strengthening
peace, from international rostrums.  Wise politicians from some
countries, considering themselves the most powerful of the powerful, do
not like this situation.  That is why they cannot stop sowing panic
among people and perturbing them, and through this derailing the [Uzbek]
economy, i.e.  spreading rumours about Uzbekistan with ill intentions.

Journalists paid

It should be made clear that a information attack is worse than a
plague.  It, first of all, poisons [people's] brains.  It sets one idea
against another idea.  It forces one ideology to eat up another
ideology.  It has far more effect than an atomic bomb.  In fact, there
are instigators interested in this [information] war.  There are those
invisible sponsors, who cannot see how a country is prospering, behind
these instigators.  Do not we know that these rogues pay journalists to
stir things up in the media?

Information attack

First, these people circulated libel, saying that Uzbekistan provided
the USA with its airfields for military use.  Then they reported that
the Taleban had moved its armed forces to[wards] [southern] Surkhandarya
[Region].  They were not ashamed to further damage the Uzbek armed
forces' prestige.  Even a [Russian newspaper] Izvestiya correspondent,
who was brought up in Uzbekistan, has predicted from Russia that the
basis of independence has allegedly weakened in Uzbekistan.

You see that somebody needs these intrigues.  They are measuring every
single step of ours.  However, as was said before, Uzbekistan has got
its own history and patriots and it is a country with great
opportunities.  That is why gossip about the country is spreading.

Our friend, a journalist, came to Tashkent from [southern] Surkhandarya
[Region's] border [with Afghanistan] several days ago.  "Some foreign
journalists are sowing panic," he says [unidentified journalist], "the
real picture is completely different.  There have been no attacks from
the other bank of the river Amudarya [Afghanistan] so far.  Peaceful
life is going on there."

The same answers have come from [southern] Kashkadarya and [central]
Dzhizak and other Regions.  Border officers are at their posts.  Farmers
are in their fields.  Investors are busy with their businesses.
Teachers are teaching at schools.  Foreign tourists are enjoying
sightseeing at our historical monuments.  What else do we need?

Staff from some foreign media came to Surkhandarya just after the
Anglo-US antiterrorist operation started [in Afghanistan].  Certainly,
they have come with journalistic interests.  Our colleagues, who needed
sensations, were surprised to see tranquility there.  Unfortunately, our
country is not avoiding information attacks even though the calm
situation is stable.  Some journalists of Russian television channels
are digging for dirt under the fingernails.  A [Radio] Liberty
correspondent wanted to accuse us of providing fuel to aircraft bombing
Afghanistan.  Many foreign observers know that this is inaccurate.
However, they [presumably journalists] do not care.

Vigilance

Frankly, we should not be indifferent to this information war, which is
slowly reaching its zenith.  It is urgently necessary to save ourselves,
our children, our great homeland from its bad impact.  Vigilance,
vigilance and, once more, vigilance are measures for this.