[iwar] [fc:Wolfowitz,.Calling.For.'Great.Caution,'.Limits.DOD.Employees'.Discussions]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-23 08:10:19

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 08:10:19 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Wolfowitz,.Calling.For.'Great.Caution,'.Limits.DOD.Employees'.Discussions]

InsideDefense.com
October 22, 2001

Wolfowitz, Calling For 'Great Caution,' Limits DOD Employees'
Discussions Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz has forbidden all
Defense Department employees from talking about their work in common
areas and public spaces, on unsecured telephones or networks, and while
commuting to and from work.  In an Oct.  18 memo, Wolfowitz says U.S.
military and civilian lives, as well as DOD operations, facilities,
resources and critical information, are "at risk for an indefinite
period" following the terrorist attacks against New York City and
Washington, DC.  He cites the national emergency President Bush declared
Sept.  14 and the military's contribution to "wide-ranging efforts to
defeat international terrorism" as putting DOD's places and people at
risk.  The memo is addressed to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of
Staff, service secretaries, top leaders in the Office of the Secretary
of Defense, directors of defense agencies and several other senior DOD
officials.  The guidance also applies to "persons in other organizations
that support DOD." "We must ensure that we deny our adversaries the
information essential for them to plan, prepare or conduct further
terrorist or related hostile operations against the United States and
this Department," the memo states.  Wolfowitz directs employees not to
discuss their work where they could be overheard by anyone outside the
department, and he cautions against releasing much of the information
DOD uses to conduct its business.  Using italics for emphasis, the
deputy secretary's memo says it is "vital that Defense Department
employees, as well as persons in other organizations that support DOD,
exercise great caution in discussing information related to DOD work,
regardless of their duties.

"Do not conduct any work-related conversations in common areas, public
places, while commuting, or over unsecured electronic circuits.
Classified information may be discussed only in authorized spaces and
with persons having a specific need to know and the proper security
clearance," states the memo.

Wolfowitz says even unclassified defense information, which usually is
subject to far fewer restrictions and oversight, may require protection
"because it can often be compiled to reveal sensitive conclusions.  Much
of the information we use to conduct DOD's operations must be withheld
from public release because of its sensitivity.  If in doubt, do not
release or discuss official information except with other DOD
personnel."

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said today the release of any
classified information about the military's actions in Afghanistan and
against terrorists worldwide could threaten the lives of U.S.  troops
and the results of the military's actions abroad.  He called the
disclosure of operational information to the news media last week prior
to U.S.  special forces' arrival on the ground in Afghanistan "terrible"
and "irresponsible" and said it is a violation of federal law.

"We cannot and will not provide information that could jeopardize the
success of our efforts to root out and liquidate the terrorist networks
that threaten our people," Rumsfeld said at a Pentagon press briefing
today.  "To the extent that the Taliban and the al Qaeda know the goals
and the purposes of our operations, they will be in a better position to
frustrate those goals and those purposes.  It is not in our country's
interest to let them know when, how, or even why we're conducting
certain operations."

Wolfowitz directs in his memo all major DOD components to review the
department's "operations security program" and to "ensure that their
policies, procedures and personnel are in compliance" with it.  --
Christian Bohmfalk

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM