[iwar] [fc:White.House.Sees.Link.Between.Anthrax,.Sept..11.Attacks]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-23 22:56:48

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:56:48 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:White.House.Sees.Link.Between.Anthrax,.Sept..11.Attacks]

White House Sees Link Between Anthrax, Sept. 11 Attacks
By Randall Mikkelsen
Reuters

WASHINGTON (Oct.  23) - The Bush administration is working under an
''operating suspicion'' that an outbreak of anthrax contamination is
linked to the Sept.  11 attacks on the United States, the White House
said Tuesday.

''That's been the operating suspicion of the White House for a
considerable period of time,'' White House spokesman Ari Fleischer told
reporters.

His remarks were the strongest yet by a White House official on a
possible link between the attacks and the anthrax scare, but they
reflected an increasing willingness to voice suspicions as anthrax
infections mount and two more people were believed to have died from the
disease on Monday.

Nevertheless, Fleischer said it has not been conclusively determined
whether the anthrax cases were the work of a small operator, or part of
a larger, more organized effort.  A U.S.  official said the suspicions
had not yet significantly entered foreign policy considerations.

U.S.  Homeland Security Director Tom Ridge was overseeing a review of
anthrax response procedures, Fleischer said.  This follows questions
over whether the government acted too slowly in testing postal workers
at a Washington facility that handled a letter containing anthrax that
was received at the U.S.  Capitol last week.

Two postal workers at the facility have tested positive for anthrax and
two died on Monday from what officials believe was the disease.  Mass
testing of postal workers at the facility did not begin until Sunday,
and was expanded Tuesday to all 36 post offices that handle mail sorted
at the facility.

''Things are being looked at now, conversations are being held, and
(former) Gov.  Ridge is leading that collaborative effort,'' Fleischer
said.

He said although health and law enforcement officials could recommend a
faster response in future cases, he defended the decision not to
immediately test the postal workers in Washington as based on the best
available knowledge.  ''They did everything they could based on what
they knew,'' he said.

''We are a nation that is mobilizing.  We have not had to deal with this
they way we have before,'' he said.

Earlier on Tuesday, a key congressional leader said after meeting
President Bush Tuesday that there was consensus in suspecting a link
between the Sept.  11 attacks and anthrax.

''I don't think there's a way to prove that but I think we all suspect
that,'' House Democratic leader Richard Gephardt said after a meeting
between Bush and House and Senate leaders.

Gephardt also described as ''weapons grade'' the anthrax bacteria used
in a letter received last week in the office of Senate Majority Leader
Tom Daschle, saying the small size of the particles were evidence it had
been ''milled.''

Although other government officials have declined to describe the
material as ''weaponized,'' Gephardt said, ''I think we've got to stop
parsing words and trying to be anything other than accurate about what
this is.''

''This is weapons grade material ...  This is highly sophisticated
material.  It is small in size and it aerosolizes,'' he said.  ''It's
small in diameter, which means its been milled.''

Fleischer said whether or not the anthrax used in the Daschle letter was
weapons grade was a determination for scientists to make.  However, he
said of the anthrax, ''it is something that is being used as a weapon to
hurt people.''

The outbreak of anthrax infections among postal workers in Washington
came as a surprise, Gephardt said.  It had not been expected that the
pressure of postage handling machines could force the anthrax out of
small holes in an envelope, he said.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM