[iwar] [fc:U.K..Groups.Team.To.Sound.Cybercrime.Alarm]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-25 18:26:13

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:26:13 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:U.K..Groups.Team.To.Sound.Cybercrime.Alarm]

U.K. Groups Team To Sound Cybercrime Alarm
By Steve Gold, Newsbytes, 10/25/2001

Two of the U.K.'s key information technology security associations have
joined forces to tackle cybercrime, a problem they say the country is
not prepared to battle.
The Information Assurance Advisory Council (IAAC) has teamed up with the
Institute for Communications Arbitration and Forensics (ICAF) with the
aim of better educating businesses and their customers about cybercrime.
The partnership follows research carried out by ICAF and the
Communications Management Association (CMA) into how ready British
businesses are to fight the various forms of cybercrime. That research
found that many companies do not understand the issues Involved.
Professor Andrew Rathmell, IAAC's CEO, said the results of the ICAF/CMA
research were disturbing, revealing a the most companies have failed to
make cybercrime a priority issue.
Rathmell told Newsbytes that IAAC is now in its second year of
operation. "In our first year," he said, "we were inward looking, and
sought to understand the needs of our members. Now we're in the process
of getting the message about security issues out to the public."
Rather than "reinvent the wheel," Rathmell added that teaming with ICAF
is a logical step for the advisory council.
"The linkup with ICAF was already in progress before the tragic events
of Sept. 11," he said, "but, since then, it's become clear that there is
a clear need for better security on all fronts."
Both organizations plan to involve companies and government agencies,
sending to them the message that cybercrime-tackling policies need to be
established.
"We've already worked with Institute of Directors on a guide, and also
with the CBI (Confederation of British Industry) on events. The plan now
is step up these activities," Rathmell said.
IAAC is an independent membership forum supported by British industry
and government agencies. The council was formed early last year to act
as a focus on the development of national and international IT assurance
policies.
ICAF was created in April 2000, as a professional association to promote
best security practices in the IT and telecommunications industries.
IAAC's Web site is at http://www.iaac.org.uk
.
ICAF's Web site is at http://www.theicaf.com
.