[iwar] [fc:Indian.news.sites.hacked]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-25 18:28:07

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 18:28:07 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:Indian.news.sites.hacked]

Indian news sites hacked

Sanjoy Majumder, BBC News Online, 10/25/2001

Two of India's leading news organisations are reviewing their cyber
security after their websites were hacked, allegedly by Pakistani-based
groups.  Zee News and India Today were at the receiving end on Tuesday
when their portals were hacked by the Pakistani-based Gforce Pakistan
and Pakistani Hackerz Club.  Last week, these groups defaced two US
Government sites and left messages attacking the military strikes on
Afghanistan and threatening George Bush and Tony Blair.  They have now
targeted the two Indian portals, apparently because they carried news
stories on militant groups operating inside Pakistan and
Pakistani-controlled Kashmir.  Both the sites targeted - Zeenews.com and
India Today.com - were down for about an hour as technical teams
grappled with the problem.  They left messages repeating comments made
by Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf over the weekend, warning India
against launching raids on Pakistani-controlled Kashmir.  "They also
said they would target other Indian sites - including those of the
Indian atomic research agency," Deepak Malhotra of Zee News told BBC
News Online.  Sudeep Chakravarti, Executive Editor of India Today Group
Online, says that they their site was hacked from a server in the United
States.

"It is a militia attack on what we do.  But it only had nuisance value,"
he told BBC News Online.  The attack temporarily blocked access to
several India Today websites, but not any of its news sites.  It is the
first time any of their websites have been hacked, although Zee has been
hacked before.  "Since the past few months our websites operate on
secure servers," Mr Malhotra said.  "We are now troubleshooting to try
and figure out what went wrong." Notorious Gforce is fast earning a
reputation as an international hacker and is said to have defaced over
200 sites over the past year.  A counter hacking group, Yihat, has
forwarded contacts for Gforce - said to operate out of Karachi - to the
US Federal Bureau of Investigation.  "All over the world hackers find
new ways of getting in," says Mr Chakravarti.  "It's an ongoing battle."
Gforce's signature is to leave a message stating: "We're proud Pakistani
hackers, we stand for a cause, for a reason." Two years ago, when
President Musharraf ousted Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif in a bloodless
coup, Pakistani hackers broke into the official Pakistani Government
website to leave a message congratulating the general.  And during the
Kargil conflict in 1999, Pakistani hackers defaced an Indian Army site
and left messages in support of Kashmiri separatists.

Get your FREE VeriSign guide to security solutions for your web site: encrypting transactions, securing intranets, and more!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/UnN2wB/m5_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM