[iwar] [fc:US.Muslim.groups.urge.Bush.to.halt.air.strikes]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-29 07:11:35

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 07:11:35 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:US.Muslim.groups.urge.Bush.to.halt.air.strikes]

Monday October 29, 2:59 AM

US Muslim groups urge Bush to halt air strikes

DETROIT, Michigan, Oct 28 (AFP) -

US Muslim leaders have called on the administration of President
George W. Bush to halt its bombing campaign against Afghanistan, in a
marked departure from their earlier stance.

A broad coalition of Muslim groups on Saturday urged the White House
to "urgently reassess its action in Afghanistan, and to cease the
bombing campaign and other military actions," now into its fourth
week.

Criticising the military strategy as ill-conceived, the dozen groups
argued that the campaign was victimising the beleaguered Afghan
population and would worsen the plight of thousands of Afghans who
are fleeing their homes.

Many have headed towards the border with Pakistan, which is already
host to some two million Afghan refugees. But the Pakistani border
has been sealed, and aid agencies are concerned about how the
newly-displaced will survive the harsh Afghan winter without food or
supplies.

"Allowing thousands of innocent civilians to die in the harsh Afghan
winter will only serve to weaken the global resolve to root out
terrorism," the groups said in a joint statement issued after a
meeting in Washington.

"The senseless starvation of women and children will fuel hate and
extremism," said the statement, posted on the Islamicity.com website.

The signatories, which include the Washington-based lobby group CAIR,
the Council on American-Islamic Relations, and the AMA (American
Muslim Alliance), emphasised their support for US efforts to track
down the perpetrators of the September 11 attacks on New York and
Washington.

"We have always supported the fight against terrorism in general
terms," said CAIR spokesman Ibrahim Hooper. "But we reserve the right
to differ on the tactics that should be used."

"The majority of Muslims would say this is not the right way to go
about it," he added, explaining that it was "difficult" to make the
case that an entire nation should be bombed in order to catch a
handful of terrorists.

The more conservative American Muslim Council refused to sign the
statement, preferring not to challenge US policy so publicly.

"It's not for us to set the military agenda," said AMC president
Yahya Basha from his home in suburban Detroit. "That's for the White
House and its military experts to decide."

The AMC, like the other representatives of the estimated six million
Muslims living in the United States, has officially supported the
president's anti-terror campaign without directly endorsing the
military offensive against fellow Muslims in Afghanistan.

It's a delicate balancing act for the leadership of a community which
worked hard to build up political capital with the Bush
administration -- it delievered votes to Bush in 2000 and is hoping
for some favours in return.

"We don't want to damage our relationship with the Bush
administration at a time when we feel we should be showing solidarity
with the rest of the nation," acknowledged Basha.

But Hooper said the Muslim community would be doing itself a
disservice by refusing to speak out on "critical issues facing the
nation."

"We strongly reject any suggestion that opposing a certain policy of
our government is tantamount to disloyalty. This suggestion is
undemocratic, unfair and un-American," the groups said in the
statement.

Muslim leaders are concerned that if the US-led air campaign were to
continue through the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, it would hand a
propaganda coup to suspected terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden and
his al-Qaeda network, whom US authorities blame for last month's
suicide attacks.

"There is rising concern about the number of civilian casualties, and
how bin Laden would use the fact of air strikes during Ramadan to
stoke public opinion," worried Basha.

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM