[iwar] [fc:]

From: Fred Cohen (fc@all.net)
Date: 2001-10-29 09:12:38

From: Fred Cohen <fc@all.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:12:38 -0800 (PST)
Subject: [iwar] [fc:]

                 Sheikh Albaani On Offensive Jihaad

   AbuZubair.Com Islaamic Message Board: Jihaad: Sheikh Albaani On
                          Offensive Jihaad

   By Abu Maghrib on Thursday, September 07, 2000 - 04:22 pm: Edit
        By Abu Maghrib on Thursday, June 15, 2000 - 05:04 pm:

 Shaykh Al-Albaani on the Issue of the
establishment of the 'Offensive' Jihaad...

~ Translation by Brother Rafi Shafi ~

The following is a translation from 'Fataawa al-Albaani' (a
transcription of some of the cassettes of the Shaykh) when
the Shaykh was asked his opinion on the establishment
of the 'Offensive' Jihaad.

~ A Brief Clarification ~
My Dear Brothers and Sisters in Islaam. I would just like to
make a very important clarification of the following Fatwa
of our beloved Shaykh Muhammad Naasir ud-Deen Al-Albaani
(rahimahullaah)...

It was originally taken from a taped lecture of Shaykh
Al-Albaani's wherein he was asked a question concerning the
establishment of the Offensive Jihaad; wherein the Muslims
move out of their Islaamic lands to fight the Kuffaar, as
opposed to the Defensive Jihaad of today; wherein the Muslim
lands have been invaded, and are being attacked by the
Kuffaar, in which case - as the Shaykh clearly states - the
fighting of them becomes a Fard 'ayn upon the Muslims (i.e.
absolute obligation on all who are capable).

It seems that the context, or the surrounding dialogue to
this Fatwa - which would have made this very clear - was,
for some reason, left out...

And indeed, the resulting misconception, or misunderstanding
which has come about due to this omission is unfortunate...
because this Fatwa has been spread all throughout the
internet, usually along with the false claim that the
establishment of Jihaad in this day and age - whether it be
Offensive, or Defensive - is not permissible without a
Khaleefah, or Imaam for all the Muslims.

But this claim is clearly a false, and absurd one. For if
anyone studies the era when the Tatars (Mongols) - who were
declared Kuffaar by the 'Ulamaa - killed the Khilaafah of
the Muslims, and then chose for themselves the rule of the
Islaamic world, one will see, be-ithnillaah, that - even
though there was no Khilaafah - the Muslims waged Jihaad and
fought, killed and overthrew these Kuffaar, thus
re-establishing the Khilaafah once again - and among them
was Ibn Taymiyyah (rahimahullaah) himself!

So, clearly, this claim concerning the Defensive Jihaad, is
a false one.

It is also known, as is stated in this very Fatwa, that
Shaykh Al-Albaani (May Allaah (Ta'aala) Illuminate his
grave) believed that the Jihaad in Afghanistan was a
legitimate Jihaad - and yet, obviously, there was no
Khilaafah, or Ameer for all the Muslims at that time... so
where does this false condition come from?... Not from the
True 'Ulamaa.

If one is sincere in finding the Truth of this matter, then
I advise one to obtain some of Shaykh Al-Albaani's lectures
on Jihaad, wherein he states clearly his positions on both
the Offensive, and Defensive Jihaad.

For instance, on his tape "Fataawa hawl al-Jihaad
al-afghaani." (1), one of the students asks him if the
Jihaad in Afghanistan is Fard 'ayn, or Fard kifaayah, and
the Shaykh replied that it was Fard 'ayn, because the number
of Muslims fighting the Mushrikeen army of Russia was not
enough. He also said that every Muslim was required to
participate in this Jihaad...

On the issue of the Offensive Jihaad (which also follows),
then I advise one to listen to the Shaykh's tape, "Shubuhaat
mud'iyee al-Jihaad.". In this lecture he clarifies his
position on the establishment of the Offensive Jihaad, and
it is this type of Jihaad which - according to the Shaykhs
view - can only be carried out under a Khilaafah, whereas
the Defensive Jihaad (i.e. the Muslims are fighting to raise
the Word of Allaah (Ta'aala), and/or to protect their lands
from the Kuffaar) can be performed with, or without an Ameer
for all the Muslims...

And this is the saying all the 'Ulamaa.

And Allaah (Subhaanahu wa Ta'aala) is the Source of all
Guidance.

Now, to the Shaykhs response regarding the establishment of
the Offensive Jihaad:
"With respect to Jihaad, O my Brother, in this time and
before this time it is fard 'ayn, because the problem at
hand is not a problem of Bosnia and Chechnya (alone) which
has again moved the emotions of the muslim youth. For here
we have neighbouring us, the Jews who have occupied
Palestine, and not a single Islaamic country has moved to
establish the obligation of making Jihaad with them, and
evicting them and throwing them in the sea, as some of, or
one of the presidents of the Islaamic lands used to say.

And the point is that Jihaad is fard 'ayn, because many of
the Muslim lands have been occupied in the past and the
present by the kuffaar. And the likes of this occupation is
not hidden from the Muslim who concerns himself with the
affairs of the muslims, not to speak of the Islaamic groups
or Islaamic sects, or Islaamic lands.

But Jihaad has pillars and conditions, and we - the group of
Muslim Scholars - believe that the obligatory Jihaad is only
obligatory upon those muslims who would help one another to
establish what Allaah has obligated upon them from the
Jihaad against the kuffaar, and evicting them from the lands
they have occupied.

And we do not need now to relate the evidences from the Book
and Sunnah, for this point has no difference of opinion over
it between the Scholars - that Jihaad is fard 'ayn when an
area of the Muslim land is occupied, so how about when the
occupation has occurred in many lands?!

But, unfortunately, I wish to say that this Jihaad which is
fard - rather fard 'ayn - is not possible to be established
by individuals as occurs in the question, rather not even by
some of the Islaamic groups. Because the likes of this
Jihaad, especially in our times in which the means of
fighting have become many, is not possible to be established
by the Islaamic groups, not to speak of individuals!

But the obligation is upon the countries, and those Islaamic
countries that have the strength to prepare for war, and the
means of modern day warfare, by which if they gathered
together sincerely for this Jihaad they would establish the
fard 'ayn.

But, very unfortunately, these countries have not moved a
limb to establish this.

So maybe they refer the matter of this Jihaad to the various
Islaamic groups and sects, while these are not capable of
doing anything to stop the advance/attack of the kuffaar.
And the current affairs bear witness to the fact that any
Islaamic group that tries, either to fight the aggressor as
occurred in Afghanistan for example, or by revolting against
the ruler whose kufr has become clear, like in Algeria for
example - then these unfortunate occurrences indicate that
the individual Jihaad, or group Jihaad does not produce the
expected fruit, and that is that the Word of Allaah be made
Supreme.

So therefore, we believe that this Jihaad is not possible
except under an Islaamic authority firstly, and under an
Islaamic group comprising of people from different lands,
not just one land or one region.

And add to this the necessity that taqwa of Allaah be
present, by staying away from what Allaah has prohibited
from the matters that are well known amongst the Muslims,
but unfortunately they are very far from putting into
practice.

And we have mentioned - and I am trying to summarise my
words as much as possible - many times that what has
befallen the Muslims today, this humiliation and
abasement/ignominy that has not been known in the history of
Islaam at all, is that the muslims have misapplied, at the
very least, one verse of the Qur'aan....and that is the
Saying of Allaah:

{If you help Allaah, Allaah will Help you.}

And there is no doubt that this Help of the Muslims from
Allaah, is Help in making the Laws of the Sharee'ah an
observable reality, and this unfortunately is not realised
in the majority of the Islaamic lands, or in the Muslim
individuals. And those amongst the Muslim lands that do have
some remnants of ruling by the Law of Allaah have not, uptil
now proclaimed the call to Jihaad.

And due to this the Muslim individuals and nations will
remain weak as long as none of the Islaamic lands lift the
flag of Jihaad, and that Jihaad which calls for fighting
those nearest them, not those that are far, far away.

For the muslims, with their lands, and groups, and sects,
and as individuals, if they cannot establish Jihaad with
those that neighbour them, or are close to them, then they
are not capable of making Jihaad with those that are distant
from them.... for example Eritrea, ,Somalia, Bosnia and
Chechnya.

And due to this we mention now, that it is upon the Muslim
youth as individuals and groups and sects that they spread
the correct Islaamic awareness in the lands firstly, and
then in the rulers secondly - and that (correct
understanding) is that all of these people rule by what
Allaah (Ta'aala) has revealed.

- The ruler, that he rules by what Allaah has revealed and
ordered.

- The individual that he rules by what Allaah has
revealed...

I know that today many of the individuals, and groups and
sects, throw the responsibilty (of the state of affairs)
onto the rulers only, while in my certain belief the
responsibility equally falls upon these individuals, groups
and sects, as it falls upon these rulers!

This is because these governments arose from the lands of
these Muslims... these Muslims who were addressed by two
Ahadeeth from the Messenger (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa
sallam)... the first his (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam)
saying,

"When you deal with interest, and hold fast to the tail of
the cow, and become contented with agriculture, and you
leave Jihaad fi-sabeelillaah
(in the Way of Allaah), Allaah will Permit your humiliation
and will not lift it from you until you return to your
Deen."

And the second hadeeth, his (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallaam)
saying,

"The nations [will] summon each other upon you as you call
guests to eat from a plate of food",

They (the Sahaabah) said , "Will we be few in number on that
day O Messenger of Allaah?" He (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa
sallam) said,

"No, rather you will be many on that day, but you will be
like the foam
on the ocean. And Allaah will remove the fear in the hearts
of
your enemies and place in your hearts al-wahn."

They said, "What is al-wahn O Messenger of Allaah?" He
(sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said,

"Love of this world, and hatred of death."

And these occurrences which are mentioned by the Messenger
(sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) in this hadeeth have now
occurred in every Muslim society, and they are from the
clear afflictions that necessitate the descent of this
humiliation upon the muslims until the hearts of the rulers,
and individuals become totally covered in black (due to
their sins).

The Muslim lands do not rule by what Allaah revealed, and if
there is one amongst them that does (claim to) rule by what
Allaah revealed, then the first clear indication that it
does not rule by what Allaah revealed is that it does not
raise the call for Jihaad.

So if this time is not the time in which Jihaad
fi-sabeelillaah does not become obligatory, and many of the
Muslims lands have been occupied, then when will this Jihaad
become obligatory?

But the problem - and this is the heart of the matter - is
that there is no one amongst us who is capable of
undertaking (this Offensive Jihaad), why?...

Because we are drowning in sins, and drowning in sectarian
differences and national differences, and we know that one
of the doorways to weakness and defeat is that the Muslims
differ amongst themselves.

And we have been tried recently with a very sad trial, and
that is the Afghaani Jihad, where we were hoping that its
endpoint would be Victory for the Muslims, and there were
strong signs for placing the seed of the Islaamic state.
Then the end result turned out to be totally opposite (to
what was hoped), due to the early signs of Victory over the
enemy, the communists (shuyuiyyeen), diminished when the
differences between the tribes made them split into seven
groups, and their Islaam, which they took as Deen, did not
prevent them from doing this, and our Lord says,

{...and do not be from the mushriks. From those that split
their
Deen and became sects, each sect rejoicing in what it has.}

Therefore, it is upon the one who desires to go on Jihaad
that he gets the means of Jihaad, and the means of aquiring
Victory, and that is not realisable in our times,
unfortunately. And Allaah says in the Noble Qur'aan,

{Indeed Allaah will not change the state of a people
until they change what is in themselves.}

Therefore, we call the Muslim individuals, and groups and
sects, not to speak of the governments, but that they
concern themselves by spreading the purified, authentic
Islaam, purified from every spurious element that has
entered it with the passing of time, and then bring up the
Muslims on this purified Islaam.

The day when these signs begin, and become clear in this
vast Islaamic land, that day shall the signs of getting
ready to establish this fard 'ayn [of the Offensive] Jihaad
begin.

These anxious individuals that go to many of the Muslim
lands invaded/attacked by the kuffaar like Bosnia and
Chechnya for example... what are the weapons that they have
with them? Who are the leaders who can discipline them, and
make them fight under one authority and under one flag?

So if there was a single authority then we would see the
(fruits) of the Jihaad as we saw them in Afghanistan (i.e
Victory over the aggressor).

Therefore Allaah Says,

{And prepare for them what you can from strength and
weapons to strike terror into the hearts of the
enemies of Allaah and your enemies.}

Where is this preparation?!

And who is the one capable of this preparation? The
individual?!

No... the governments?... yes the governments, and it is
possible for us to say that they do establish a small amount
of this preparation...

But this preparation is taken from their enemies... so if
there was a Jihaad established between the kaafir and
Muslims, then soon these Muslims would not be capable of
supplying their armies with the necessary weapons except by
buying them from their enemies.

So can their be Victory and Jihaad by buying weapons from
the enemies of the Muslims?!

This is impossible, and due to this, this preparation
ordered us, cannot be established even by the Islaamic
countries, because the Islaamic countries buy their weapons
of destruction from their enemies and aggreviated states.

And there are ways of making these weapons malfunction when
they (the Muslims) intend to use them against the kaafir
enemy.

And due to this I say, and I finish my words and reply upon
this question that Allaah, when He said,

{And prepare for them what you can...}

This address was to the Companions of the Prophet
(sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam), then the address is
directed to the generality of muslims due to the generality
of the text.

But this address was directed to the Sahaabah after they
were brought up on the authentic Islaamic upbringing until
it was possible for them to establish the likes of this
address - preparing the worldly might after preparing the
spiritual might in themselves, or with themselves, due to
the upbringing they went through at the hands of their
Prophet (sallallaahu 'alayhi wa sallam).

And history repeats itself.....So there has to be an
upbringing of a nation from the Islaamic nations so that it
may be possible for this nation to establish this worldly
preparedness, and we today do not find a nation that has
established this obligation which we can depict in two
words: tasfiyyah (correction) and tarbiyyah
(education/cultivation).

(Rather) we see us as scattered individuals here and there.
And if there were a group, and over this group a leader who
has the allegiance of all the Muslims, and he raises the
flag of Jihaad against the enemies: this has not happened
yet, and due to this we call for the existence of this
introduction/predicate to this holy Jihaad.

And, as for running (of these people) behind emotions when
the spiritual Jihaad has not even been realised in them -
and that is the correct understanding of Islaam, and
applying it collectively, and that there be over them a
leader after that, and he enjoins them to prepare what they
can from strength and weapons:

So the day we see the likes of this, that day the Muslims
will rejoice in the Victory of Allaah, and Allaah Helps whom
He Wills.

This is my answer to your question."

Pinpoint the right security solution for your company- Learn how to add 128- bit encryption and to authenticate your web site with VeriSign's FREE guide!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yQix2C/33_CAA/yigFAA/kgFolB/TM